Page 3 of 82 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 81 82 >
Topic Options
#510044 - 03/23/03 03:48 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
Jimmy Anger Offline

Loc: Winchester, MA, USA
haw haw! hmm.

I firmly believe there is no god, no heaven, no afterlife, nothing but us. I also think that this is an important thing for people to learn - a key part of growing up and fully being able to grasp who you are, what the world is, and what responsibility you have. I like to think that as humans continue to grow and mature that religion, like the habit of eating meat, will slowly fade and vanish.

onceI8abug may not be taking the best approach to delivering his particular message, but the key idea makes sense to me. religion is just a story of human civilization, so if there are sentient aliens that have a form of life comparable to ours, it makes no sense that they would have the same stories. they might have their own stories, but I doubt they'd be the same. And this whole discussion is precariously balanced on the shifty notion of aliens not only existing, but having existences similar enough to ours that they'd need something to help allay their fear of death; they'd communicate stories between all of them to achieve this goal; that theirs is a world of individuals with separate thoughts and so on and so forth - if you think rationally about it, aliens could have absolutely nothing in common with human society - even the simplest things, like how we communicate and relate to each other.

#510045 - 03/23/03 06:51 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
OnceI8aBug Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Anger:
haw haw! hmm.

I firmly believe there is no god, no heaven, no afterlife, nothing but us. I also think that this is an important thing for people to learn - a key part of growing up and fully being able to grasp who you are, what the world is, and what responsibility you have. I like to think that as humans continue to grow and mature that religion, like the habit of eating meat, will slowly fade and vanish.

onceI8abug may not be taking the best approach to delivering his particular message, but the key idea makes sense to me. religion is just a story of human civilization, so if there are sentient aliens that have a form of life comparable to ours, it makes no sense that they would have the same stories. they might have their own stories, but I doubt they'd be the same. And this whole discussion is precariously balanced on the shifty notion of aliens not only existing, but having existences similar enough to ours that they'd need something to help allay their fear of death; they'd communicate stories between all of them to achieve this goal; that theirs is a world of individuals with separate thoughts and so on and so forth - if you think rationally about it, aliens could have absolutely nothing in common with human society - even the simplest things, like how we communicate and relate to each other.

Why should I water down my personal views for people?

No, you're a genius...really.
I like evilspacerobot.com but Jughead Jones is an uberego.

#510046 - 03/23/03 06:54 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
OnceI8aBug Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jughead Jones:

Hey kettle! You're black!

Love,

OnceI8aBug

In your twisted reality I am sure I am the kettle. No surprise that big ideas will not fit in your head. I don't expect you to understand. Would you like grape drink with your peanut butter sandwich? Mommy will set up the tv tray while you watch Power Rangers.

No, you're a genius...really.
I like evilspacerobot.com but Jughead Jones is an uberego.

#510047 - 03/23/03 10:10 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
Jughead Jones Offline

Loc: Riverdale USA
Quote:
Originally posted by OnceI8aBug:

In your twisted reality I am sure I am the kettle. No surprise that big ideas will not fit in your head. I don't expect you to understand. Would you like grape drink with your peanut butter sandwich? Mommy will set up the tv tray while you watch Power Rangers.

I think you missed my point entirely. Somehow, I'm not surprised.

#510048 - 03/23/03 11:16 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
Jimmy Anger Offline

Loc: Winchester, MA, USA
Yeah, really. And since people always insult other people with what would be most true and accurate and hurtful if said to them...well, there you have it.

Meanwhile, scientists report 'No cure ever' for stupidity, elitism, egotism, pretension, and being mean.

#510049 - 03/24/03 10:24 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
'Now, maybe I'm just reading this post completely wrong... and forgive me if that's the case, but it smacks of bitter, ignorant, narrow thinking. As a person whose faith in Christ is something very real and very personally significant, I can't say that I'm angered by what you say, because what would be the point? But I am saddened. Is this truly how you feel?'

As a person who lives in modern society, I would assume that you're aware of the existence of atheists, as well as many other individuals (by far the majority of mankind) who are not christians.

Do you think that everyone who doesn't share your belief is guilty of 'bitter, ignorant, narrow thinking?' When you learn that an acquaintance is Jewish, do you explain to them that you aren't angered, but are, however, saddened?

I am not saddened by the fact that so many of my fellow humans are caught up in the folly of religious belief, so long as it is by choice and with their eyes open. I am, however, saddened and angered by society's tendency to villify atheists and suggest that they should not at all times and all circumstances make their views known.

Onceabug, I don't think it's futile for you to express your agnosticism. A lot of the reason people cling to religion is that they've had so little exposure to the alternative. By giving voice to reasoned views of unbelief, you inject healthy skepticism into social discourse. That's the best remedy for excess religion.

#510050 - 03/25/03 03:52 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Quote:
haw haw! hmm.

And this whole discussion is precariously balanced on the shifty notion of aliens not only existing, but having existences similar enough to ours that they'd need something to help allay their fear of death; they'd communicate stories between all of them to achieve this goal; that theirs is a world of individuals with separate thoughts and so on and so forth - if you think rationally about it, aliens could have absolutely nothing in common with human society - even the simplest things, like how we communicate and relate to each other.

I was thinking more along the lines that any intelligent species early in its development would cling to the idea that the creative force of the universe would be 'personified' or God and they probably would think it was like them only much greater. Your above assessment,however,reminds us that in an infinite universe the forms of life are probably,umm,infinite. My hat's off to you,Jimmy A!

#510051 - 03/25/03 05:36 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
MORBO, THE UNDENIABLE Offline

GENTLEMEN, AND MORBO USES THIS TERM VERY LOOSELY, YOUR INCESSANT BICKERING AND CONSTANT ATTEMPTS AT ONE-UPPING EACH OTHER ABOUT SOMETHING NONE OF YOU KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT MAKES MORBO'S SACK LARGE WITH CONTEMPTUOUS PLEASURE.

MORBO DEMANDS TO KNOW AN ANSWER TO THE FOLLOWING QUESTION: WHO CREATED MAN?

IF YOU ANSWERED GOD, YOU REVEAL YOURSELF TO BE BRAINWASHED AND PRE-PROGRAMMED. WHAT PROOF, MORBO WONDERS, CAN YOU PRESENT IN YOUR DEFENSE?

CONVERSELY, MORBO WOULD ASK YOU: WHO CREATED GOD?

THE ONLY ANSWER AVAILABLE, BASED UPON MORBO'S STATISTICS AND OBSERVANCES, IS MAN.

WHAT BETTER WAY TO EXPLAIN THE UNEXPLAINED BASED UPON MAN'S EXTREMELY LIMITED (LET'S NOT DENY IT) INFORMATION AND IMAGINATION THAN TO ASSUME THAT THE WHOLE OF CREATION, THE COSMOS, AND EVERYTHING EXISTING WITHIN IT WAS CREATED BY A BEING WHO YOU EGOCENTRICALLY IMAGINE AS LOOKING JUST LIKE YOU.

IT IS TO LAUGH.

BELIEVE MORBO IN THIS, CHILDREN, WE "ALIENS" DO NOT BELIEVE IN "CHRISTIANITY." HELL, MOST NON-HUMAN SPECIES, INCLUDING THE MIGHTY KOALA, BARELY BELIEVE IN HUMANITY.

"WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT?" YOU ASK. "WHY ARE WE HERE?"

MORBO WILL TELL YOU.

HUMANITY IS A FAILED SCIENCE EXPERIMENT THAT WAS NEGLECTED, AND IGNORED LONG AGO.

AND YOU WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO SURVIVE THIS LONG.

IT IS A TESTAMENT TO YOUR ABILITIES OF REPRODUCTION AND RECREATION THAT YOU HAVE SPREAD ACROSS THIS PLANET LIKE A VIRUS AND MORBO CONCEDINGLY TIPS HIS HAT TOWARDS YOUR LIBIDO.

AND IT IS THIS ONE ASPECT OF YOUR BEING THAT PROVIDES VISITING "ALIENS" THE MOST PLEASURE AND VOYEURISTIC FILMS.

WHY IS IT, DO YOU THINK, THAT THERE ARE SO MANY REPORTS OF ABDUCTION, UFO SIGHTINGS, AND ANAL PROBING?

WE ARE USING YOU. YOU ARE SHEEP. YOU ARE NOTHING. YOU ARE A MINOR CURIOSITY. YOU ARE AN ENTREE. YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN SEMINAL RECEPTACLES. YOU ARE OUR PLAYTHINGS AND WE OWN YOU. YOU AMUSE US. YOU ARE A THROWN-AWAY LUMP OF CLAY. YOU ARE GAS ATTENDANTS AND WHOREHOUSES. YOU ARE HUMAN. AND YOU ARE DELICIOUSLY IRONIC.

PLEASE, CONTINUE WITH YOUR BANTER. MORBO ONLY COMES HERE TO "MIX IT UP," AND HAVING STUDIED YOUR SMALL-MINDED WAYS FOR CENTURIES, MORBO IS AWARE THAT YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE A WORD MORBO HAS SAID - EVEN IF IT FELL FROM THE SKY, STUCK AN UNCOMFORTABLE INSTRUMENT UP YOUR NETHERS, AND PROMISED TO CALL YOU IN THE MORNING.

MOST OF YOU WOULD GO ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS, MERELY THINKING IT'S BUT SATURDAY NIGHT, AND WONDER WHEN THE DRUG-INDUCED BUZZ WILL WEAR OFF.

THE BUZZ WILL NEVER WEAR OFF! MUHAHAHA!

#510052 - 03/26/03 10:54 AM Re: aliens and christianity.
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
MORBO's schtick is finely honed;he's got MY vote!

#510053 - 03/26/03 11:53 AM Re: aliens and christianity.
madget Offline

Quote:
so forth - if you think rationally about it, aliens could have absolutely nothing in common with human society - even the simplest things, like how we communicate and relate to each other.

Yeah. Didn't we all see Aliens ... ? Starship Troopers ... ?

The tendency people have to imagine aliens primarily as intelligent humanoids seems odd to me. Alien creatures are rarely pondered as simple animal or plant life. It seems to me with all the stars and all the planets out there in the universe, chances of abundant alien life are pretty good; however, I doubt too many of those lifeforms are green men flying around in advanced spaceships.

Then again, if you're banking your money on the theory of evolution, I suppose it's easily conceivable that alien life would probably be startling similar to life on Earth.

K

Page 3 of 82 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 81 82 >