Page 2 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 ... 30 31 >
Topic Options
#516078 - 06/26/03 10:39 PM Re: Marvel's First 500th Issue....
Brent Grenier Offline

Actually, Journey into Mystery #1 was an Atlas book and was bought by Marvel. Once Thor hit the book, and took it over they changed the title to The Mighty Thor with issue #126.

Unfortunately For Matt, Fantastic Four had Marvel on it from the 1st issue until now. No other company, no name changes. I'm not sure how Heroes Reborn affects the situation. Even with HB, FF still had "Marvel" on the cover.

Point is: Fantastic Four is the first Marvel comic book to reach issue #500. Hawes proves once again that he's just an anti-NuMarvel windbag.

#516079 - 06/26/03 10:42 PM Re: Marvel's First 500th Issue....
Brent Grenier Offline

I have nothing against anti-NuMarvel windbags, as long as they attack Marvel with something substantial and actually have their facts straight.

In this thread, Hawes has done neither.

#516080 - 06/26/03 10:53 PM Re: Marvel's First 500th Issue....
Masterman_dup1 Offline

I think that the endings of the long numberings are real tragedies. There is something staid and august (or what passes for staid and august in something like funny books) about long issue numberings. One can only imagine what others came before you and read those earlier issues. It makes a reader feel like they are a part of something that came before them and will continue after them.

Waxing poetic on comic book issue numbering must surely register somewhere on the geek-scale but I see the seduction of the first issue pop as a damaging influence. It is just another aspect of the speculator-investor madness which gripped comics in the recent years. On a positive note it would not be hard to bring back any numberings. It is truly madness because Batman consistently makes the top ten even with the high numbering.

#516081 - 06/26/03 11:19 PM Re: Marvel's First 500th Issue....
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Grenier:
Actually, Journey into Mystery #1 was an Atlas book and was bought by Marvel. Once Thor hit the book, and took it over they changed the title to The Mighty Thor with issue #126.

Unfortunately For Matt, Fantastic Four had Marvel on it from the 1st issue until now. ...

Um, Marvel did not buy Atlas. Same company, different name. Ask Stan. Ask Martin Goodman (You might need a medium) -- If you even know who he is, Marvelite.

And, er, "Marvel" did not exist as the company's name in 1961 when "Fantastic Four" #1 (vol.1) was published.

Brent, I will pay you one million dollars if you produce an original, unaltered copy of the very first "Fantastic Four" #1 from 1961 with :Marvel Comics" anywhere on the comic book cover.

I know about Marvel's history, because I am a fan of the characters, if not its' current management. Obviously, you don't know the history of the company.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#516082 - 06/26/03 11:24 PM Re: Marvel's First 500th Issue....
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Grenier:
I have nothing against anti-NuMarvel windbags, as long as they attack Marvel with something substantial and actually have their facts straight.

In this thread, Hawes has done neither.

I have my facts straight (Mostly, see below wink ). You are the one that thinks Atlas was bought by Marvel (Same company, bright-eyes). You are the one that thinks the "Marvel" name appeared on the very first "Fantastic Four." (Here's a tip: "Marvel" did not technically exist by the name Marvel in 1961. Do your homework. I personally read the early FF letter column where a fan asks what the company's name is, and Stan hasn't even decided at that point.)

I was a bit off on one thing, I'll confess. I know that there are issues of "Journey Into Mystery" numbered past 500, but the comic still retained a different title when issue 500 was published.

And "Marvel" did appear on the cover of its' first 500th issue.

That issue was titled "The Mighty THOR."

I swear, look it up. wink

[img]http://216.87.86.135/istore/images/fullsize/87387731330.500.GIF[/img]

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#516083 - 06/26/03 11:33 PM Re: Marvel's First 500th Issue....
Ben T. Steckler Offline

Loc: York, PA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Hawes:

Um, sorry, dipshit. The fact you bothered to read the thread and have posted over 400 times on these boards alone loses you the right to make pithy little remarks.

So sorry for you.

well, Matt, I see you're at over 1250 posts. methinks the Potgut is really calling the Kettle Black here.

But then we can't really say that your endless remarks here are all that "Pithy", unless you talk with a lisp.

#516084 - 06/26/03 11:36 PM Re: Marvel's First 500th Issue....
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dlmccaslin:
...Oh, and by your count, do the Zero and 1 million issues of Starman not count? Does that mean that by your count, there were only 80 issues, not 82? And so what if they kept the same numbering system? You still can't find 500 comics with "Journey Into Mystery" on the cover. I'll bet you could find at least 500 with Fantastic Four on the cover...

I'm pretty sure there's a "#500" on that Thor comic above. I kinda think that means that "Fantastic Four" #500 will not be the first Marvel Comic to reach that number. Really. That's my point, and it really kinda looks to be the case.

So, yes, I'm correct that FF will not be the first Marvel #500.

Does it hurt, Caslin?

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#516085 - 06/26/03 11:39 PM Re: Marvel's First 500th Issue....
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben T. Steckler:

well, Matt, I see you're at over 1250 posts. methinks the Potgut is really calling the Kettle Black here.

But then we can't really say that your endless remarks here are all that "Pithy", unless you talk with a lisp.

Two dipshits, I see.

Er, Ben, I was calling Rich on making a smart ass remark implying that I shouldn't waste time on a message board. I was saying, in other words, "Methinks the potgut is really calling the kettle black here, " myself.

You really ought to think before you jump into the fray, Einstein.

BTW, did you like the word "pithy"? It's in the dictionary. You'll find all sorts of words in the dictionary, if you can be bothered to read one.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#516086 - 06/26/03 11:45 PM Re: Marvel's First 500th Issue....
Ben T. Steckler Offline

Loc: York, PA, USA
Massew, Massew, Massew.

I thtand convinced that you are the pithiest perthon on thith methage board.

#516087 - 06/26/03 11:49 PM Re: Marvel's First 500th Issue....
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben T. Steckler:
Massew, Massew, Massew.

I thtand convinced that you are the pithiest perthon on thith methage board.

What's both sad and funny is I bet you didn't have any idea what the word meant before I posted it, judging from your behaviour.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

Page 2 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 ... 30 31 >