Topic Options
#516651 - 06/27/03 10:22 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Son of Thunder:
Psssst.

Guys.

The thread's about Thurmond. Not your pissing contest.

Pssst.

Charles.

This thread is celebrating the death of a politician. I hardly think it is any more appropriate in this forum.

Does that make sense to you?

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#516652 - 06/27/03 10:29 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
snoid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Carroll:

With respect, because I know you mean the best here, bullshit. The man was outright evil. If there's any justice in the universe, he's a slave on the devil's plantation as we speak. And if you think hating an individual person for who they are is the same as hating a race for what they are, you're deluding yourself.

The world is a better place without him than with him. And the fact that he's gone makes me very happy.

Thanks for not jumping down my throat Dan. And with respect to you also, I do agree with most of what you say, he was an evil ,evil man. And you are right if there is any justice at all he is being cornholed by Satan right now. Is the world better off without him? Most likely, however when I see people taking pleasure in anothers death
...it just makes me sad for the person doing it. That you would hate someone so much that you are glad they are dead, that's just, well sad.

#516653 - 06/27/03 10:30 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Brent Grenier Offline

Quote:
This thread is celebrating the death of a politician.

A racist anti-semitic homophobe who happened to be a politician.

What? You want us to say something nice about him? The guy was an ass.

#516654 - 06/27/03 10:38 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by snoid:
when I see people taking pleasure in anothers death ...it just makes me sad for the person doing it. That you would hate someone so much that you are glad they are dead, that's just, well sad.

Fair enough. It's nice that you have that much forgiveness in you.

The way I see it though, an active hindrance to humanity's advancement is gone. We should be breaking out the fucking champagne.

#516655 - 06/27/03 10:44 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
snoid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Carroll:

Fair enough. It's nice that you have that much forgiveness in you.

It's not that I have that much forgiveness in me, trust me I'm just as petty and stupid as the rest of the world. It's just that people like Strom are not worth it, for me to waste that much emotion.

#516656 - 06/27/03 11:22 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
dlmccaslin Offline

Why? Why do they have to go so young? Why???

"-Wild things leave skins behind them, they leave clean skins and teeth and white bones behind them, and these are tokens passed from one to another, so that the fugitive kind can always follow their kind . . ."

#516657 - 06/27/03 11:24 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee
This Senator already has his dress picked out for the funeral:

[img]http://www.dailywonklists.com/images/byrd.jpg[/img]

#516658 - 06/27/03 11:52 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
snoid,

"And you are right if there is any justice at all he is being cornholed by Satan right now. Is the world better off without him? Most likely, however when I see people taking pleasure in anothers death ...it just makes me sad for the person doing it. That you would hate someone so much that you are glad they are dead, that's just, well sad."

As others have basically pointed out, as you hint at yourself, here, perhaps the source of the celebratory mood is not so much the fact that a human being has died but more that said human being will no longer be committing whatever evil she or he committed while alive.

I agree that our humor concerning the death of Strom Thurmond is in bad taste. But I'd also argue that sometimes bad taste is a good thing and that much of what Thurmond did as a politian and political figure was in far worse taste.

I do hope Uma is holding up okay, tho.

Matthew

#516659 - 06/27/03 12:00 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
snoid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthewwave:
and that much of what Thurmond did as a politian and political figure was in far worse taste.
Matthew

Agreed, he was a scum sucking pig of the lowest kind.

#516660 - 06/27/03 12:06 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Steve Hogan Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT 05401
All the bickering on this thread really takes away from the solemn dignity of the statesman's passing.

[img]http://www.steve-hogan.com/strom.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >