Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#516661 - 06/27/03 12:09 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
snoid Offline

As a side note Lester Madoxx (?) died this week also, wonder if he and Strom are taking turns being Satan's bitch.

#516662 - 06/27/03 12:27 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Cooper Prowler Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthewwave:

and that much of what Thurmond did as a politian and political figure was in far worse taste.

Could be helpful to list them so we'd know what you're talking about.

John Byrne: "That would be Stan Lee and Steve Ditko you are finding inferior, then, not me."

Alan David Doane: "So Lee and Ditko wrote and drew Chapter One? Huh?"

Byrne: "English your second language?"

--Another discussion on the John Byrne Message Board, 8/2/2003

#516663 - 06/27/03 12:33 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Cooper,

Well, some of them are pretty widely-known, already, wouldn't you say? His virulent opposition to civil rights for African Americans would top my list. And maybe some trust his later turn-around, but I think it was out of political necessity, not moral motivation. So the steps he made in the other direction are indeed to be noted... but with, at best, caution.

Matthew

#516664 - 06/27/03 12:44 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
-eric Offline

Loc: ohio
All the laws of Washington, and all the bayonets of the Army, cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches and our places of recreation.

-Strom Thurmond

#516665 - 06/27/03 12:45 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Cooper Prowler Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthewwave:

His virulent opposition to civil rights for African Americans would top my list.

That one's true. But on another message board someone described him as Anti-Semetic, so I was wondering if anyone could clarify some more.

John Byrne: "That would be Stan Lee and Steve Ditko you are finding inferior, then, not me."

Alan David Doane: "So Lee and Ditko wrote and drew Chapter One? Huh?"

Byrne: "English your second language?"

--Another discussion on the John Byrne Message Board, 8/2/2003

#516666 - 06/27/03 12:46 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Christian@LEGION Offline

Loc: Wroclaw
Quote:
Originally posted by -eric:
All the laws of Washington, and all the bayonets of the Army, cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches and our places of recreation.

-Strom Thurmond

Unfortunately, that's just one of many of Thurmond's brilliant quotes.

#516667 - 06/27/03 01:12 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dave Miller Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Carroll:

The way I see it though, an active hindrance to humanity's advancement is gone. We should be breaking out the fucking champagne.

I celebrated when I heard last night, no champagne for me today. But I'll have to quibble with calling Thurmond "active." Since his life-long dream of American Apartheid was ended forever, Thurmond did next to nothing, besides occupying a Senate seat, gathering seniority, and aging. There is no "Strom Thurmond Bill" of any kind to mark his legacy. he sismply warmed his seat, year after year, getting re-elected and bringing federal money into his state. He'll be remembered as the man who set the Senate filibuster record attacking a civil rights act, and the oldest Senator ever, and that's pretty much it. He would have done the people of his state a favor by stepping down two or three terms ago, so a more active and capable man could take his place.

He did his part to make the world a nastier place, and to America's credit, he failed. And when he failed, he gave up, clinging to the his despicable cause. As far as evil, calcified polical power which was all he had left, but never again acting so agressivly in pursuit of men go, I wish more could end their days like Thurmond.

#516668 - 06/27/03 01:33 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
kingtut Offline

Loc: CS, CO
All I can say is, if Strom Thurmond had been elected president in the 50's we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years.

#516669 - 06/27/03 01:55 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Anthony Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Some of you people are despicable. Were talking about the death of a human being folks! Get it? My god. Id no more celebrate the death of Thurmond than I would the death of Bill Clinton. Its not something to celebrate, but to show a little compassion toward!
Comics News & Information, Reviews, Discussion Forum

#516670 - 06/27/03 02:12 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dave Miller Offline

At least nobody has implied a connection between the Supreme Court's Lawrence v. Texas decision and Stom passing on, or posted this Onion story: www.theonion.com/onion3112/stromchange.html

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >