Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#516671 - 06/27/03 02:43 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony:
Were talking about the death of a human being folks!

Arguable, at best.

Quote:
Its not something to celebrate, but to show a little compassion toward!

What exactly deserves compassion, here? The fact that a terrible person died at the tragically young age of 100?

Sob. Cry. Moan. Wail.

Sarcasm.

The man had a full century of life. And he spent it spreading bile and hatred. You show compassion for that if you want. But having died doesn't magically transform him into something other than the horrid little sack of puke that he was.

If people celebrate his death, you might want to look for flaws in how he lived his life as the cause.

#516672 - 06/27/03 03:12 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Ben T. Steckler Offline

Loc: York, PA, USA
and Steve Hogan, thank you for getting this thread back on the right track. With your STROM-Spaceknight, as I asked, you get yerself a mini-comic, however childish my art may be.

just drop me a note off-line with a snailmail addy, and I'll get it to you.

Thanks!

#516673 - 06/27/03 03:15 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Anthony Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Carroll:

What exactly deserves compassion, here? The fact that a terrible person died at the tragically young age of 100?

Sob. Cry. Moan. Wail.

Sarcasm.

The man had a full century of life. And he spent it spreading bile and hatred. You show compassion for that if you want. But having died doesn't magically transform him into something other than the horrid little sack of puke that he was.

If people celebrate his death, you might want to look for flaws in how he lived his life as the cause.

I truly pity anyone that celebrates another person's death. It's pitiful. Truly pitiful.
Comics News & Information, Reviews, Discussion Forum

#516674 - 06/27/03 03:45 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony:
I truly pity anyone that celebrates another person's death. It's pitiful. Truly pitiful.

You know something? You're right. I have seen the errors of my ways. Let us mourn Strom Thurmond together.

Let's all go around the room and mention something we remember about Strom Thurmond that enriched the world in some way.

Anything.

Anything at all.

::Cough::

Okay, anything bad?

Quote:
We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race...

Truly pitiful, indeed.

In all seriousness. What about this man's life is there to mourn?

This whole "nothing bad must be said about the dead" attitude has never sat well with me. Want respect for your life? Earn it. Be a good person.

If you're not a good person, don't expect grief-stricken mourners.

#516675 - 06/27/03 04:27 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
darryl comix Offline

Loc: New York
Being black, I don't feel that I owe guy a single iota of compassion. My compassion is reserved for innocent people who die every day, the people who live horribly and so on. My compassion is reserved for people who live their lives trying to better themselves and their communities. My compassion is reserved for people who don't do ANYTHING either way.

My heart does not bleed for people that would hope me to die or be treated as less than a man.

I say fuck 'em.

#516676 - 06/27/03 04:40 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Alias Offline

Loc: Las Vegas Nevada USA
the guy was a fucking punk who spent his entire life breathing air that could have been put to better use

#516677 - 06/27/03 06:55 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Askia Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH - USA
One thing that always stuck me about Strom Thurmond is his singular hypocrisy. His social status permitted him a life of artistocratic Southern privilege while he flaunted those same conventions. Were his youthful indiscretions ever proven to anyone's satisfaction, they would have ended his political career decades ago.

That he was an ardent segregationist, Dixiecrat and civil rights opponent is a matter of record. Much of the rhetoric in his presidential run cooresponds with white supremicist beliefs regarding miscegenation and "race-mixing". Much more whispered is the rumor that Thurmond is the father of a black woman. But in South Carolina, especially around Orangeburg, SC -- that's been folk wisdom among blacks there for more than fifty years.

My grandparents, Arthur and Elizabeth Rose, went to college in Orangeburg from 1946 to 1950. Orangeburg was, and is, the home of two historically black colleges, the state-supported SCSC (now SCSU) and the Methodist-run Claflin University. Today a single steel chain-link fence separates the two campuses, but in those post-war days, you could pretty much move across campus to campus with ease. My grandparents went to Claflin, but like anyone living in a small Southern town, you pretty much learned all the juicy gossip going on if you kept your ear close to the blackvine.

The big news in the late 40s was that Strom Thurmond's bastard daughter, Essie Mae, went to SCSC. My grandmother, now in her late 70s, clearly remembers how all the talk was about Strom Thurmond's daughter being at the school next door. "Everybody knew," she said. "Everybody knew because Thurmond because he paid for her to go to school there and he came to visit her a couple of times when she was there, too. Once in my sophomore year and another time my senior year."

Over the years, Essie Mae has repeatedly denied that Thurmond is her father, and it's this silence that allowed him to serve as long as he did. It has been documented that she visited him at the governor's mansion as a child. Thurmond never issued a blanket denial that she was his daughter, when questioned. Nor has he affirmed it, which would have been political suicide.

It must ache to know you owe your live and livelihood to a man who has virulently despised your race, your ethnic background, and the color of your skin. I'm curious whether she'll show up to her father's funeral -- though I seriously doubt it.

I'll shed no tears for Strom, but I might for Essie Mae.

#516678 - 06/28/03 12:17 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Dave,

"At least nobody has implied a connection between the Supreme Court's Lawrence v. Texas decision and Stom passing on"

HEY, what am I -- chopped livah???

Matthew

#516679 - 06/28/03 01:14 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
MAD MAD MERLIN Offline

Loc: FREMONT,OHIO
You guys are unfairly attacking Strom Thurmond. I am not a racist or anti-gay, just a student of history.

You have to understand that having been born and raised in South Carolina a mere 38 years after the Civil War. There was/is a deep seeded hatred of blacks in the South, but it was not limited to the South there were/are many people all over the the U.S. hated blacks. This was an attitude that carried on until the civil rights movement of the 1960's. So, by calling Strom a racist, you may be calling your great-grandparents and your grandparents racists too.

As far as Strom being anti-gay, he was probably raised Southern Baptist(I don't know for sure), and probaly took the bible literally when it says same sex love is wrong. That is a attitude that many people still belive in today.

#516680 - 06/28/03 01:26 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
"So, by calling Strom a racist, you may be calling your great-grandparents and your grandparents racists too."

Maybe they were! Just because a person is someone I love, doesn't mean they can't do bad things. My ex-in-laws were racists, and I loved them; my parents have some arguably-product-of-their-times racism in them, and I love them.

But I certainly don't approve of the racism. And these folks I loved also didn't incorporate their racism into state-wide, even national-level, political agendas. If it was someone I loved who was doing this, no, their death may not make me happy, but the fact that they would no longer be doing this would, honestly, be a source of relief.

If I knew that someone I loved was a murderer -- not self-defense, no extenuating circumstances... a murderer -- I'd turn them in, too.

Matthew

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >