Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#516681 - 06/28/03 10:37 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
MAD MAD MERLIN Offline

Loc: FREMONT,OHIO
He is only considered a"racist" by today's standards. His attitudes and beliefs were based on the times in which he grew up in. During that time and still in a lot of places in the South it is and was perfectly acceptable to hate black people.

Why do you think that groups like the kkk still exist. I moved to Fremont (Northwest Ohio),5 years ago. I here racist comments and the word nigger used just about every day. Indiana and N.W. Ohio are and always have been big areas for the kkk.

#516682 - 06/28/03 10:44 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
dlmccaslin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MAD MAD MERLIN:
He is only considered a"racist" by today's standards. His attitudes and beliefs were based on the times in which he grew up in. During that time and still in a lot of places in the South it is and was perfectly acceptable to hate black people.

Why do you think that groups like the kkk still exist. I moved to Fremont (Northwest Ohio),5 years ago. I here racist comments and the word nigger used just about every day. Indiana and N.W. Ohio are and always have been big areas for the kkk.

That's no excuse. My mother is in her 50s and she has gotten used to a lot of things in her life, video tapes, computers, man-on-the-moon, robots, etc. Yet she still uses the word "colored".

Sure, the word is a product of her times, but that doesn't excude it. If you can get used to the words "Internet" or "DVD player" or "digital cable," there is no reason you can't get used to calling black people black or African-American.

"-Wild things leave skins behind them, they leave clean skins and teeth and white bones behind them, and these are tokens passed from one to another, so that the fugitive kind can always follow their kind . . ."

#516683 - 06/28/03 10:52 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Brent Grenier Offline

Quote:
Why do you think that groups like the kkk still exist.

Because we haven't been able to eradicate the "stupid" gene yet.

#516684 - 06/28/03 10:55 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
MAD MAD MERLIN Offline

Loc: FREMONT,OHIO
Aren't we being "racist" by using the term "black people"? It isn't considered politically correct. African-American is.

#516685 - 06/28/03 11:19 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Brent Grenier Offline

Quote:
Aren't we being "racist" by using the term "black people"? It isn't considered politically correct. African-American is.

F that.

They're people. Just like anyone else.

#516686 - 06/28/03 11:56 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dono Offline

Loc: right here, at the computer
Two points:

1. Racism, and the civil rights struggles Thurmond fought so vehemently against, are not about using the word nigger. Many people were murdered, most of them blameless aside from the accident of skin color. Some of them were people whom we should REALLY mourn, like Dr. King. Others were simply people trying to get by in a biased system. You mourn the passing of a bastard like Strom Thurmond, you are essentially celebrating the deaths of those he despised.

2. To those complaining that all life is sacred, and that we should not cheer the death of ANY souls: what exactly do you think was in all those laser-guided love letters we just sent to Iraq and Afghanistan? We just destroyed the infrastructure of two countries, killing several thousand civilians in the process, and our entire country cheered. Many are even now attempting to select the next target. So there's your compassion right there. We should care about one rotten old son of a bitch who died peacefully after a century of hate, but celebrate the passing of thousands who had the misfortune of brown skin or a muslim God.

No thanks.

#516687 - 06/29/03 12:07 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
dlmccaslin Offline

Quote:

I had a few black friends in college, a lot of them members of the NAACP, and most of them preferred the term black. As one guy said to me, "I don't know shit about Africa."

I think of African-American as being a largely white-invented term. I don't know many black folk who use it. And when I think of racial equality I tend to think of angry young protesters screaming "black power."

That, and I don't see anyone offended by the use of the term "white people", so I figure using black is fine. I would use brown, but all of my Fillipino friends say they're brown, so, what the hell...

"-Wild things leave skins behind them, they leave clean skins and teeth and white bones behind them, and these are tokens passed from one to another, so that the fugitive kind can always follow their kind . . ."

#516688 - 06/29/03 01:15 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Askia Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH - USA
"African-American" is not a white-invented term. It is a variation of "Afro-American".

Nearly 100 years later, in the nanscent days of being P.C., Dr. Alvin F. Poussaint was a leading black (Oops! African-American) proponent of the term. Since Poussaint was a consultant for Bill Cosby's TV and movie projects and wrote the forward for many of Bill Cosby's bestselling books, it was easy for him to help steer Cosby to the more accurate geographic and positive ethnic identity in the term. In fact, a whole episode of "The Cosby Show" was devoted to help help explain and popularize it.

African-American is used formally, usually in print, to refer to the race/ethnic group. "Black" is still the preferred term in oral usage, and probably will remain so as long as Caucasians refer to themselves as "white".

#516689 - 06/29/03 02:11 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
NatGertler Offline

Quote:
He is only considered a"racist" by today's standards.
No, he was considered a racist by the old standards as well. However, being a racist was not as commonly viewed as a bad thing then.

#516690 - 06/29/03 02:52 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
David Porta Offline

Strom was a good Democrat for many years, the part of Eleanor Rooseveldt, Truman, JFK, LBJ, et cetera.

More Republicans voted for civil rights and the abolition of Jim Crow than Democrats, and that's a fact. If you don't believe me, you could look it up. The Dems, statistically, were the ones who opposed civil rights. The few Dems who supported it are held up by revisionists as representative of Dems as a whole, historically. Bullshit.

~Dave

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >