Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#516691 - 06/29/03 02:59 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
David Malcom Porta,

What other Dems and other Repubs did or didn't do has nothing to do with anything here. This is about Strom.

But, please, blather on.

Matthew

#516692 - 06/29/03 05:49 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
cactusmaac Offline

Loc: Undisclosed Location
Like Merlin said, the guy was a racist ass but if any of us had grown up in the same environment he was, would we have thought any differently about blacks?

And at the risk of playing devil's advocate he did get with the program even if it was the self-serving purpose of staying in office. He voted for recognising Martin Luther King Day as a holiday and the voting-rights act when a lot of other politicians didn't in the 80's. He was the first southern senator I think who hired black staff members and made sure when he brought pork back home a fair chunk of it went to blacks as well.

During his elections in the 90's he regularly got 20% of the black vote which is pretty damn high for a Republican.

I'm not saying he was one of the better examples of American politicians but to be fair to the man see where he came from and at least credit him for not staying a demagogue.
Bill Jemas used to say that we could announce free milk and cookies with every Marvel comic and someone would complain that we were trying to kill them because they were lactose intolerant. - Joe Quesada

M Ali Choudhury

#516693 - 06/29/03 08:58 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
metron Offline

I don't know anything about Strom Thurmond. Except that he was a bit of a segregationist early in his political career. I tend to think that his claim to fame was his longevity. However, I don't intend to say anything bad about him, if in fact he did change his ways. I mean, everyone would like to be able to change the bad things about themselves, and be forgiven, right? I do question how much good Strom was doing the people of his state in his old and enfeebled condition, but he kept getting reelected, so I guess the people made their decision about how effective he was. :rolleyes:

#516694 - 06/29/03 10:11 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
darryl comix Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by MAD MAD MERLIN:
You guys are unfairly attacking Strom Thurmond. I am not a racist or anti-gay, just a student of history.

You have to understand that having been born and raised in South Carolina a mere 38 years after the Civil War. There was/is a deep seeded hatred of blacks in the South, but it was not limited to the South there were/are many people all over the the U.S. hated blacks. This was an attitude that carried on until the civil rights movement of the 1960's. So, by calling Strom a racist, you may be calling your great-grandparents and your grandparents racists too.

As far as Strom being anti-gay, he was probably raised Southern Baptist(I don't know for sure), and probaly took the bible literally when it says same sex love is wrong. That is a attitude that many people still belive in today.

I find this offensive:

So, we should excuse this man for hating me and my people because a LOT of people hated us?

"It was socially acceptible!" That doesn't make it right. Doing things to try and screw over another ethnic group is wrong, no matter what society says.

I repeat, "fuck 'em."

You can't "unfairly attack" him; he's a documented racist. What the fuck is so "unfair" about that? The thing about grandparents is laughable; are the white posters here supposed to excuse Thurmond of his hate because their own relatives might have had the same feelings?

#516695 - 06/29/03 11:40 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
MAD MAD MERLIN Offline

Loc: FREMONT,OHIO
No. I am not excusing his behavior.

There are many forms of racism in this country.

Take JFK, for example. He was Catholic. There are people in this country who cursed the heavens the day he got elected President. Because at the time being Catholic was a "bad thing".

Have you been watching the news? Every time I turn on the t.v. and see Joe Liberman, I think of JFK. The news people go on and on about the fact that he might be the first jewish president. So what? Who the hell cares? What does his religion have to do with anything?

So, Strom was a product of his time. He is just about the last of his kind(with the exception of Robert "Sheets" Byrd) in the Senate.

#516696 - 06/29/03 11:55 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Conor E Offline

Loc: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Lieberman's Jewish? Shit, that means by hating him all these years, I've been anti-Semetic.

Proud member of KELP:
Kyle's Emerald Liberation Party.

#516697 - 06/29/03 12:20 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
If Thurmond was just a product of his times, how does one explain honkeys from the South and North who opposed his views in the forties? Honkeys from the South North who opposed slavery during its time?

Matthew

#516698 - 06/29/03 12:59 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Scout99 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kingtut:
All I can say is, if Strom Thurmond had been elected president in the 50's, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years.

You're kidding, right? Lynching African-Americans and/or keeping them out of the armed service was a good thing (Thurmond left the Democrats when Truman intergrated the Armed Forces)?

Get fucking real, man.

:rolleyes:

#516699 - 06/29/03 05:08 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
kingtut Offline

Loc: CS, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Scout99:

You're kidding, right? Lynching African-Americans and/or keeping them out of the armed service was a good thing (Thurmond left the Democrats when Truman intergrated the Armed Forces)?

Get fucking real, man.

::rolls eyes:: Read a fucking newspaper and get a clue, man.

#516700 - 06/29/03 05:24 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
cactusmaac Offline

Loc: Undisclosed Location
Quote:
Originally posted by Scout99:

Get fucking real, man.

Kingtut was referring to the Trent Lott affair case you didn't know.
Bill Jemas used to say that we could announce free milk and cookies with every Marvel comic and someone would complain that we were trying to kill them because they were lactose intolerant. - Joe Quesada

M Ali Choudhury

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >