Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#516701 - 06/29/03 10:34 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
David Porta Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MAD MAD MERLIN:
There are many forms of racism in this country.

Take JFK, for example. He was Catholic.

"Racism"? I think a better word, for the JFK example, would be "bigotry." But that undercuts your whole point about there being "many forms of racism," such as anti-Catholicism.

"Bigotry" is the better word in that context. Why doesn't anyone use "bigotry" any more? Bring back "bigotry"!

Certainly, the bigotry of the pinko left-wing is alive and healthy, as evidenced by the threads on comics reader message boards.

"News, Announcements and Gossip" is an off-topic category, right?

~Dave

#516702 - 06/29/03 10:36 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Masterman_dup1 Offline

[img]http://www.alternative3.com/hype/promo2606a.jpg[/img]

You guys into comics? Come over and talk to me about my comic on my thread /hype/ "Like a Lighting Strike!" I am even going to let Dan Caroll take free shots at me... it is going to be a hoot!

#516703 - 06/29/03 10:38 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
MAD MAD MERLIN Offline

Loc: FREMONT,OHIO
What is the difference between a racist and a bigot? confused

#516704 - 06/29/03 10:42 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Masterman_dup1 Offline

Quote:
What is the difference between a racist and a bigot? confused

Who knows!? Join the Conspiracy!

Quote:

WHO ARE WE REALLY?

We are Devo!

#516705 - 06/29/03 10:52 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Ben T. Steckler Offline

Loc: York, PA, USA
I think all the bigots should be shipped back off to bigotland where they came from!

#516706 - 06/29/03 11:05 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Jughead Jones Offline

Loc: Riverdale USA
Quote:
Originally posted by David Porta:

Certainly, the bigotry of the pinko left-wing is alive and healthy, as evidenced by the threads on comics reader message boards.

Yeah! All this renunciation of racism and homophobia! What a bunch of bigoted blowhards you damned commie libs are!

ROCK ON DAVID PORTA! WOOOOOO!

note: did he really just say "pinko?" Really? Is my watch set wrong and it's really 1953?

#516707 - 06/29/03 11:15 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Noah Offline

Quote:
As far as Strom being anti-gay, he was probably raised Southern Baptist(I don't know for sure), and probaly took the bible literally when it says same sex love is wrong. That is a attitude that many people still belive in today.

I never, ever accept this excuse, because so much of the Bible is summarily rejected or ignored by the very same people.

"Is that likely to affect his executive decision-making ability?"

- The Filth

#516708 - 06/30/03 12:00 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
dlmccaslin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by David Porta:
Strom was a good Democrat for many years, the part of Eleanor Rooseveldt, Truman, JFK, LBJ, et cetera.

More Republicans voted for civil rights and the abolition of Jim Crow than Democrats, and that's a fact. If you don't believe me, you could look it up. The Dems, statistically, were the ones who opposed civil rights. The few Dems who supported it are held up by revisionists as representative of Dems as a whole, historically. Bullshit.

~Dave

True, in the 19th Century the Democrats were opposed to civil rights and the Republicans (Lincoln, anyone?) supported abolition. But your history is a bit backward. The Republican party was co-opted by many who felt they should just go with the tide. Teddy Roosevelt was one of the last equal rights proponents, but all of his ideas (like welfare and a minimum wage) were considered cooky. But Elanore Roosevelt campaigned for civil rights and sufferage, JFK first introduced the civil rights act and LBJ helped to push it through. Truman was the first person to desegregate the military. LBJ took a lot of shit because a lot of southerners thought he was betraying them. That's when Strom quit the party.
LBJ also pushed the war on poverty as part of his Great Society. If it wasn't for that damn war, he would have been a great president.

"-Wild things leave skins behind them, they leave clean skins and teeth and white bones behind them, and these are tokens passed from one to another, so that the fugitive kind can always follow their kind . . ."

#516709 - 06/30/03 12:04 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
dlmccaslin Offline

I don't believe in bigotry because I don't believe in making any gross generalizations about a group of people. Besides, that's the kind of thing they did in Russia!

"-Wild things leave skins behind them, they leave clean skins and teeth and white bones behind them, and these are tokens passed from one to another, so that the fugitive kind can always follow their kind . . ."

#516710 - 06/30/03 05:22 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
David Porta Offline

Helms was a segregationist back when he was a Democrat.

Goldwater's opposition to segregation was longstanding and well known. No doubt he won the votes of many former (or current) Democrats who opposed Lyndon Johnson's civil-rights initiatives.

There's no doubt that Democrats like Lyndon Johnson did important things for black folks by ending segregation, even as then-Senator Albert Gore Sr. (D., Tenn.) opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and South Carolina's former Democratic governor Ernest Hollings hoisted the Confederate flag atop the Palmetto State's capitol building. Since then, Democrats have trapped poor black children in failing government schools while binding black entrepreneurs with red tape.

I really don't know how anyone could honestly accuse the Democrats of being insensitive to minorities. I mean, sure, you opposed the Civil Rights Act, and you are the only party with a former Klansman and three former segregationists in Congress, but that's all old news. Don't people realize that when you are the party of Cynthia McKinney and James Moran, sensitivity comes as easy to you as, well, spelling and foreign policy.

More Republicans than Democrats voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Republicans in both the House and Senate were more likely than Democrats to favor the 1964 Civil Rights Act. (In the Senate, Republican support was 82 percent, compared to 69 percent among Democrats; in the House, it was 80 percent and 63 percent, respectively.) In fact, there were three-and-a-half times the number of Democrats (21) opposing the bill as Republicans (6). One of the Democrats voting against the 1964 Civil Rights Act, incidentally, was named Albert Gore, Sr.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >