Topic Options
#516631 - 06/26/03 10:54 PM Strom Thurmond is Dead
-eric Offline

Loc: ohio
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,90549,00.html

#516632 - 06/26/03 11:20 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Ben T. Steckler Offline

Loc: York, PA, USA
Don't worry, I'm sure Marvel will find a way to bring him back. I think all his public appearances in the last ten years were really handled by STROM-Bots.

#516633 - 06/26/03 11:34 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
MAD MAD MERLIN Offline

Loc: FREMONT,OHIO
It is a sad day frown .

#516634 - 06/26/03 11:39 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee
[img]http://www.muppetplatoon.com/members/images/statler.gif[/img]

"What?!?! I'm DEAD?!?! Why didn't anyone tell me? Kermit sucks! Good night, everybody!"

#516635 - 06/26/03 11:41 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Ben T. Steckler Offline

I'll send a free mini-comic to the first person who does a decent photoshop job with a cover from ROM about Thurmond, and posts it here.

#516636 - 06/26/03 11:53 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben T. Steckler:
I'll send a free mini-comic to the first person who does a decent photoshop job with a cover from ROM about Thurmond, and posts it here.

If I post a pic, will you promise NOT to send me your mini-comic?

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#516637 - 06/26/03 11:54 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:

Ewww... I just checked out your site to see what that mini-comic might look like. Now I really know I don't want it.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#516638 - 06/27/03 12:12 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Ben T. Steckler Offline

That's okay. You probably wouldn't understand my comic unless you kept a dictionary handy, you ribbon-clerk.

#516639 - 06/27/03 12:15 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
That's okay. You probably wouldn't understand my comic unless you kept a dictionary handy, you ribbon-clerk.

What's to understand? Crude, childish artwork and an air of pretentiousness wrapped up in vanity that makes you believe people want to read about your life story.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#516640 - 06/27/03 12:22 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Ben T. Steckler Offline

Well, the repeat customer orders I just put in the mail today demonstrate that people want to read my stuff, matt.

I can't say that many people care to continually peruse your incessant picayune rantings on the boards, though.

Have you ever noticed your customers backing away carefully, out the door of your comic shop, trying not to interrupt your soliloquoy, and thus escape your presence undetected?

#516641 - 06/27/03 12:41 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
...I can't say that many people care to continually peruse your incessant picayune rantings on the boards, though...

And, yet, here you are doing just that.

Oh, Ben, I'm sorry for insulting your 'zine. It's really nice and I am sure that when you grow up you will learn how to draw like a big boy. Yes, you will, you silly. Don't worry. laugh

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#516642 - 06/27/03 02:42 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Son of Thunder Offline

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario
Psssst.

Guys.

The thread's about Thurmond. Not your pissing contest.

"I recommend that the Statue of Liberty on the East Coast be supplemented by a Statue of Responsibility on the West Coast." -Viktor Frankl

#516643 - 06/27/03 07:33 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
"Strom Thurmond is Dead"

It must've been that Sodomy Law decision in Texas that did him in.

Matthew

#516644 - 06/27/03 09:52 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Ben T. Steckler Offline

Don't you read, Charles? Its not a Pissing contest, It's a PITH-ing contest.

I love how Matt gets all huffy, and assumes that I'm making fun of Strom's Death because I disagree with his politics. (he brought that up over on the other thread where he's hiding) How I feel about his politics had nothing to do with my response. But Matt presumes to "know" my motivation, all-knowing comics demi-god that he purports himself.

If you need to know Matt, the inner workings of my mind. I simply made a comics-related reference to the resemblance so many mainstream comics characters have to Lazarus. Since somebody mentioned Stroms Death here in a "Comics" forum, I made a comic-referenced joke about him being brought back eventually.

Just like I'm sure we'll all joke after your death, Mr. Hawes. As soon as the kegs are empty, and the confetti has settled.

#516645 - 06/27/03 09:54 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Strom Thurmond? Dead?

There... there's so much I want to say! Oh God, where to begin...

Oh, that's right.

DING DONG, THE WITCH IS DEAD!
Which old witch? THE WICKED WITCH!
DING DONG, THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD!

#516646 - 06/27/03 10:04 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
snoid Offline

Anyone that takes pleasure in the death of another person is an asshole. You can hate the man and his stand, but to take pleasure in his death makes you no better then what you hate. And for the record I thought Thurmond was a racist pig, who should have never been elected.

#516647 - 06/27/03 10:12 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
snoid Offline

And I wasn't trying to single anyone out here, but that's how I feel about it. I see this alot people happy about the death of someone they hated or disagreed with..childish, and petty.
Oh and Matt, what the fuck is your problem? We all know you hate good comics, leave Ben alone, one of his stories has more soul and drive then anything youv'e sold in your store all year, I'd bet.

#516648 - 06/27/03 10:12 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dan Carroll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by snoid:
Anyone that takes pleasure in the death of another person is an asshole. You can hate the man and his stand, but to take pleasure in his death makes you no better then what you hate. And for the record I thought Thurmond was a racist pig, who should have never been elected.

With respect, because I know you mean the best here, bullshit. The man was outright evil. If there's any justice in the universe, he's a slave on the devil's plantation as we speak. And if you think hating an individual person for who they are is the same as hating a race for what they are, you're deluding yourself.

The world is a better place without him than with him. And the fact that he's gone makes me very happy.

#516649 - 06/27/03 10:15 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Steve Hogan Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT 05401
It used to scare the hell out of me when I'd hear audio of him speaking in the Senate. He sounded like Methuselah Bumpus, World's Oldest Hillbilly.

#516650 - 06/27/03 10:19 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
...Just like I'm sure we'll all joke after your death, Mr. Hawes. As soon as the kegs are empty, and the confetti has settled.

Boy, Ben, you sure do get touchy when someone doesn't like your 'zine.

Now continue with your attacks on dead people. smile

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#516651 - 06/27/03 10:22 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Son of Thunder:
Psssst.

Guys.

The thread's about Thurmond. Not your pissing contest.

Pssst.

Charles.

This thread is celebrating the death of a politician. I hardly think it is any more appropriate in this forum.

Does that make sense to you?

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#516652 - 06/27/03 10:29 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
snoid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Carroll:

With respect, because I know you mean the best here, bullshit. The man was outright evil. If there's any justice in the universe, he's a slave on the devil's plantation as we speak. And if you think hating an individual person for who they are is the same as hating a race for what they are, you're deluding yourself.

The world is a better place without him than with him. And the fact that he's gone makes me very happy.

Thanks for not jumping down my throat Dan. And with respect to you also, I do agree with most of what you say, he was an evil ,evil man. And you are right if there is any justice at all he is being cornholed by Satan right now. Is the world better off without him? Most likely, however when I see people taking pleasure in anothers death
...it just makes me sad for the person doing it. That you would hate someone so much that you are glad they are dead, that's just, well sad.

#516653 - 06/27/03 10:30 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Brent Grenier Offline

Quote:
This thread is celebrating the death of a politician.

A racist anti-semitic homophobe who happened to be a politician.

What? You want us to say something nice about him? The guy was an ass.

#516654 - 06/27/03 10:38 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dan Carroll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by snoid:
when I see people taking pleasure in anothers death ...it just makes me sad for the person doing it. That you would hate someone so much that you are glad they are dead, that's just, well sad.

Fair enough. It's nice that you have that much forgiveness in you.

The way I see it though, an active hindrance to humanity's advancement is gone. We should be breaking out the fucking champagne.

#516655 - 06/27/03 10:44 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
snoid Offline

Quote:

Fair enough. It's nice that you have that much forgiveness in you.

It's not that I have that much forgiveness in me, trust me I'm just as petty and stupid as the rest of the world. It's just that people like Strom are not worth it, for me to waste that much emotion.

#516656 - 06/27/03 11:22 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
dlmccaslin Offline

Why? Why do they have to go so young? Why???

"-Wild things leave skins behind them, they leave clean skins and teeth and white bones behind them, and these are tokens passed from one to another, so that the fugitive kind can always follow their kind . . ."

#516657 - 06/27/03 11:24 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee
This Senator already has his dress picked out for the funeral:

[img]http://www.dailywonklists.com/images/byrd.jpg[/img]

#516658 - 06/27/03 11:52 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

snoid,

"And you are right if there is any justice at all he is being cornholed by Satan right now. Is the world better off without him? Most likely, however when I see people taking pleasure in anothers death ...it just makes me sad for the person doing it. That you would hate someone so much that you are glad they are dead, that's just, well sad."

As others have basically pointed out, as you hint at yourself, here, perhaps the source of the celebratory mood is not so much the fact that a human being has died but more that said human being will no longer be committing whatever evil she or he committed while alive.

I agree that our humor concerning the death of Strom Thurmond is in bad taste. But I'd also argue that sometimes bad taste is a good thing and that much of what Thurmond did as a politian and political figure was in far worse taste.

I do hope Uma is holding up okay, tho.

Matthew

#516659 - 06/27/03 12:00 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
snoid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthewwave:
and that much of what Thurmond did as a politian and political figure was in far worse taste.
Matthew

Agreed, he was a scum sucking pig of the lowest kind.

#516660 - 06/27/03 12:06 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Steve Hogan Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT 05401
All the bickering on this thread really takes away from the solemn dignity of the statesman's passing.

[img]http://www.steve-hogan.com/strom.gif[/img]

#516661 - 06/27/03 12:09 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
snoid Offline

As a side note Lester Madoxx (?) died this week also, wonder if he and Strom are taking turns being Satan's bitch.

#516662 - 06/27/03 12:27 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Cooper Prowler Offline

Quote:

and that much of what Thurmond did as a politian and political figure was in far worse taste.

Could be helpful to list them so we'd know what you're talking about.

John Byrne: "That would be Stan Lee and Steve Ditko you are finding inferior, then, not me."

Alan David Doane: "So Lee and Ditko wrote and drew Chapter One? Huh?"

Byrne: "English your second language?"

--Another discussion on the John Byrne Message Board, 8/2/2003

#516663 - 06/27/03 12:33 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

Cooper,

Well, some of them are pretty widely-known, already, wouldn't you say? His virulent opposition to civil rights for African Americans would top my list. And maybe some trust his later turn-around, but I think it was out of political necessity, not moral motivation. So the steps he made in the other direction are indeed to be noted... but with, at best, caution.

Matthew

#516664 - 06/27/03 12:44 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
-eric Offline

Loc: ohio
All the laws of Washington, and all the bayonets of the Army, cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches and our places of recreation.

-Strom Thurmond

#516665 - 06/27/03 12:45 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Cooper Prowler Offline

Quote:

His virulent opposition to civil rights for African Americans would top my list.

That one's true. But on another message board someone described him as Anti-Semetic, so I was wondering if anyone could clarify some more.

John Byrne: "That would be Stan Lee and Steve Ditko you are finding inferior, then, not me."

Alan David Doane: "So Lee and Ditko wrote and drew Chapter One? Huh?"

Byrne: "English your second language?"

--Another discussion on the John Byrne Message Board, 8/2/2003

#516666 - 06/27/03 12:46 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Christian@LEGION Offline

Loc: Wroclaw
Quote:
Originally posted by -eric:
All the laws of Washington, and all the bayonets of the Army, cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches and our places of recreation.

-Strom Thurmond

Unfortunately, that's just one of many of Thurmond's brilliant quotes.

#516667 - 06/27/03 01:12 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dave Miller Offline

Quote:

The way I see it though, an active hindrance to humanity's advancement is gone. We should be breaking out the fucking champagne.

I celebrated when I heard last night, no champagne for me today. But I'll have to quibble with calling Thurmond "active." Since his life-long dream of American Apartheid was ended forever, Thurmond did next to nothing, besides occupying a Senate seat, gathering seniority, and aging. There is no "Strom Thurmond Bill" of any kind to mark his legacy. he sismply warmed his seat, year after year, getting re-elected and bringing federal money into his state. He'll be remembered as the man who set the Senate filibuster record attacking a civil rights act, and the oldest Senator ever, and that's pretty much it. He would have done the people of his state a favor by stepping down two or three terms ago, so a more active and capable man could take his place.

He did his part to make the world a nastier place, and to America's credit, he failed. And when he failed, he gave up, clinging to the his despicable cause. As far as evil, calcified polical power which was all he had left, but never again acting so agressivly in pursuit of men go, I wish more could end their days like Thurmond.

#516668 - 06/27/03 01:33 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
kingtut Offline

Loc: CS, CO
All I can say is, if Strom Thurmond had been elected president in the 50's we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years.

#516669 - 06/27/03 01:55 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Anthony Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Some of you people are despicable. Were talking about the death of a human being folks! Get it? My god. Id no more celebrate the death of Thurmond than I would the death of Bill Clinton. Its not something to celebrate, but to show a little compassion toward!
Comics News & Information, Reviews, Discussion Forum

#516670 - 06/27/03 02:12 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dave Miller Offline

At least nobody has implied a connection between the Supreme Court's Lawrence v. Texas decision and Stom passing on, or posted this Onion story: www.theonion.com/onion3112/stromchange.html

#516671 - 06/27/03 02:43 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dan Carroll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony:
Were talking about the death of a human being folks!

Arguable, at best.

Quote:
Its not something to celebrate, but to show a little compassion toward!

What exactly deserves compassion, here? The fact that a terrible person died at the tragically young age of 100?

Sob. Cry. Moan. Wail.

Sarcasm.

The man had a full century of life. And he spent it spreading bile and hatred. You show compassion for that if you want. But having died doesn't magically transform him into something other than the horrid little sack of puke that he was.

If people celebrate his death, you might want to look for flaws in how he lived his life as the cause.

#516672 - 06/27/03 03:12 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Ben T. Steckler Offline

and Steve Hogan, thank you for getting this thread back on the right track. With your STROM-Spaceknight, as I asked, you get yerself a mini-comic, however childish my art may be.

just drop me a note off-line with a snailmail addy, and I'll get it to you.

Thanks!

#516673 - 06/27/03 03:15 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Anthony Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Quote:

What exactly deserves compassion, here? The fact that a terrible person died at the tragically young age of 100?

Sob. Cry. Moan. Wail.

Sarcasm.

The man had a full century of life. And he spent it spreading bile and hatred. You show compassion for that if you want. But having died doesn't magically transform him into something other than the horrid little sack of puke that he was.

If people celebrate his death, you might want to look for flaws in how he lived his life as the cause.

I truly pity anyone that celebrates another person's death. It's pitiful. Truly pitiful.
Comics News & Information, Reviews, Discussion Forum

#516674 - 06/27/03 03:45 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dan Carroll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony:
I truly pity anyone that celebrates another person's death. It's pitiful. Truly pitiful.

You know something? You're right. I have seen the errors of my ways. Let us mourn Strom Thurmond together.

Let's all go around the room and mention something we remember about Strom Thurmond that enriched the world in some way.

Anything.

Anything at all.

::Cough::

Okay, anything bad?

Quote:
We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race...

Truly pitiful, indeed.

In all seriousness. What about this man's life is there to mourn?

This whole "nothing bad must be said about the dead" attitude has never sat well with me. Want respect for your life? Earn it. Be a good person.

If you're not a good person, don't expect grief-stricken mourners.

#516675 - 06/27/03 04:27 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
darryl comix Offline

Loc: New York
Being black, I don't feel that I owe guy a single iota of compassion. My compassion is reserved for innocent people who die every day, the people who live horribly and so on. My compassion is reserved for people who live their lives trying to better themselves and their communities. My compassion is reserved for people who don't do ANYTHING either way.

My heart does not bleed for people that would hope me to die or be treated as less than a man.

I say fuck 'em.

#516676 - 06/27/03 04:40 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Alias Offline

Loc: Las Vegas Nevada USA
the guy was a fucking punk who spent his entire life breathing air that could have been put to better use

#516677 - 06/27/03 06:55 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Askia Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH - USA
One thing that always stuck me about Strom Thurmond is his singular hypocrisy. His social status permitted him a life of artistocratic Southern privilege while he flaunted those same conventions. Were his youthful indiscretions ever proven to anyone's satisfaction, they would have ended his political career decades ago.

That he was an ardent segregationist, Dixiecrat and civil rights opponent is a matter of record. Much of the rhetoric in his presidential run cooresponds with white supremicist beliefs regarding miscegenation and "race-mixing". Much more whispered is the rumor that Thurmond is the father of a black woman. But in South Carolina, especially around Orangeburg, SC -- that's been folk wisdom among blacks there for more than fifty years.

My grandparents, Arthur and Elizabeth Rose, went to college in Orangeburg from 1946 to 1950. Orangeburg was, and is, the home of two historically black colleges, the state-supported SCSC (now SCSU) and the Methodist-run Claflin University. Today a single steel chain-link fence separates the two campuses, but in those post-war days, you could pretty much move across campus to campus with ease. My grandparents went to Claflin, but like anyone living in a small Southern town, you pretty much learned all the juicy gossip going on if you kept your ear close to the blackvine.

The big news in the late 40s was that Strom Thurmond's bastard daughter, Essie Mae, went to SCSC. My grandmother, now in her late 70s, clearly remembers how all the talk was about Strom Thurmond's daughter being at the school next door. "Everybody knew," she said. "Everybody knew because Thurmond because he paid for her to go to school there and he came to visit her a couple of times when she was there, too. Once in my sophomore year and another time my senior year."

Over the years, Essie Mae has repeatedly denied that Thurmond is her father, and it's this silence that allowed him to serve as long as he did. It has been documented that she visited him at the governor's mansion as a child. Thurmond never issued a blanket denial that she was his daughter, when questioned. Nor has he affirmed it, which would have been political suicide.

It must ache to know you owe your live and livelihood to a man who has virulently despised your race, your ethnic background, and the color of your skin. I'm curious whether she'll show up to her father's funeral -- though I seriously doubt it.

I'll shed no tears for Strom, but I might for Essie Mae.

#516678 - 06/28/03 12:17 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

Dave,

"At least nobody has implied a connection between the Supreme Court's Lawrence v. Texas decision and Stom passing on"

HEY, what am I -- chopped livah???

Matthew

#516679 - 06/28/03 01:14 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
MAD MAD MERLIN Offline

You guys are unfairly attacking Strom Thurmond. I am not a racist or anti-gay, just a student of history.

You have to understand that having been born and raised in South Carolina a mere 38 years after the Civil War. There was/is a deep seeded hatred of blacks in the South, but it was not limited to the South there were/are many people all over the the U.S. hated blacks. This was an attitude that carried on until the civil rights movement of the 1960's. So, by calling Strom a racist, you may be calling your great-grandparents and your grandparents racists too.

As far as Strom being anti-gay, he was probably raised Southern Baptist(I don't know for sure), and probaly took the bible literally when it says same sex love is wrong. That is a attitude that many people still belive in today.

#516680 - 06/28/03 01:26 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

"So, by calling Strom a racist, you may be calling your great-grandparents and your grandparents racists too."

Maybe they were! Just because a person is someone I love, doesn't mean they can't do bad things. My ex-in-laws were racists, and I loved them; my parents have some arguably-product-of-their-times racism in them, and I love them.

But I certainly don't approve of the racism. And these folks I loved also didn't incorporate their racism into state-wide, even national-level, political agendas. If it was someone I loved who was doing this, no, their death may not make me happy, but the fact that they would no longer be doing this would, honestly, be a source of relief.

If I knew that someone I loved was a murderer -- not self-defense, no extenuating circumstances... a murderer -- I'd turn them in, too.

Matthew

#516681 - 06/28/03 10:37 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
MAD MAD MERLIN Offline

He is only considered a"racist" by today's standards. His attitudes and beliefs were based on the times in which he grew up in. During that time and still in a lot of places in the South it is and was perfectly acceptable to hate black people.

Why do you think that groups like the kkk still exist. I moved to Fremont (Northwest Ohio),5 years ago. I here racist comments and the word nigger used just about every day. Indiana and N.W. Ohio are and always have been big areas for the kkk.

#516682 - 06/28/03 10:44 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
dlmccaslin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MAD MAD MERLIN:
He is only considered a"racist" by today's standards. His attitudes and beliefs were based on the times in which he grew up in. During that time and still in a lot of places in the South it is and was perfectly acceptable to hate black people.

Why do you think that groups like the kkk still exist. I moved to Fremont (Northwest Ohio),5 years ago. I here racist comments and the word nigger used just about every day. Indiana and N.W. Ohio are and always have been big areas for the kkk.

That's no excuse. My mother is in her 50s and she has gotten used to a lot of things in her life, video tapes, computers, man-on-the-moon, robots, etc. Yet she still uses the word "colored".

Sure, the word is a product of her times, but that doesn't excude it. If you can get used to the words "Internet" or "DVD player" or "digital cable," there is no reason you can't get used to calling black people black or African-American.

"-Wild things leave skins behind them, they leave clean skins and teeth and white bones behind them, and these are tokens passed from one to another, so that the fugitive kind can always follow their kind . . ."

#516683 - 06/28/03 10:52 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Brent Grenier Offline

Quote:
Why do you think that groups like the kkk still exist.

Because we haven't been able to eradicate the "stupid" gene yet.

#516684 - 06/28/03 10:55 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
MAD MAD MERLIN Offline

Aren't we being "racist" by using the term "black people"? It isn't considered politically correct. African-American is.

#516685 - 06/28/03 11:19 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Brent Grenier Offline

Quote:
Aren't we being "racist" by using the term "black people"? It isn't considered politically correct. African-American is.

F that.

They're people. Just like anyone else.

#516686 - 06/28/03 11:56 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dono Offline

Loc: right here, at the computer
Two points:

1. Racism, and the civil rights struggles Thurmond fought so vehemently against, are not about using the word nigger. Many people were murdered, most of them blameless aside from the accident of skin color. Some of them were people whom we should REALLY mourn, like Dr. King. Others were simply people trying to get by in a biased system. You mourn the passing of a bastard like Strom Thurmond, you are essentially celebrating the deaths of those he despised.

2. To those complaining that all life is sacred, and that we should not cheer the death of ANY souls: what exactly do you think was in all those laser-guided love letters we just sent to Iraq and Afghanistan? We just destroyed the infrastructure of two countries, killing several thousand civilians in the process, and our entire country cheered. Many are even now attempting to select the next target. So there's your compassion right there. We should care about one rotten old son of a bitch who died peacefully after a century of hate, but celebrate the passing of thousands who had the misfortune of brown skin or a muslim God.

No thanks.

#516687 - 06/29/03 12:07 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
dlmccaslin Offline

Quote:

I had a few black friends in college, a lot of them members of the NAACP, and most of them preferred the term black. As one guy said to me, "I don't know shit about Africa."

I think of African-American as being a largely white-invented term. I don't know many black folk who use it. And when I think of racial equality I tend to think of angry young protesters screaming "black power."

That, and I don't see anyone offended by the use of the term "white people", so I figure using black is fine. I would use brown, but all of my Fillipino friends say they're brown, so, what the hell...

#516688 - 06/29/03 01:15 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Askia Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH - USA
"African-American" is not a white-invented term. It is a variation of "Afro-American".

Nearly 100 years later, in the nanscent days of being P.C., Dr. Alvin F. Poussaint was a leading black (Oops! African-American) proponent of the term. Since Poussaint was a consultant for Bill Cosby's TV and movie projects and wrote the forward for many of Bill Cosby's bestselling books, it was easy for him to help steer Cosby to the more accurate geographic and positive ethnic identity in the term. In fact, a whole episode of "The Cosby Show" was devoted to help help explain and popularize it.

African-American is used formally, usually in print, to refer to the race/ethnic group. "Black" is still the preferred term in oral usage, and probably will remain so as long as Caucasians refer to themselves as "white".

#516689 - 06/29/03 02:11 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
NatGertler Offline

Quote:
He is only considered a"racist" by today's standards.
No, he was considered a racist by the old standards as well. However, being a racist was not as commonly viewed as a bad thing then.

#516690 - 06/29/03 02:52 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
David Porta Offline

Strom was a good Democrat for many years, the part of Eleanor Rooseveldt, Truman, JFK, LBJ, et cetera.

More Republicans voted for civil rights and the abolition of Jim Crow than Democrats, and that's a fact. If you don't believe me, you could look it up. The Dems, statistically, were the ones who opposed civil rights. The few Dems who supported it are held up by revisionists as representative of Dems as a whole, historically. Bullshit.

~Dave

#516691 - 06/29/03 02:59 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

David Malcom Porta,

What other Dems and other Repubs did or didn't do has nothing to do with anything here. This is about Strom.

But, please, blather on.

Matthew

#516692 - 06/29/03 05:49 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
cactusmaac Offline

Loc: Undisclosed Location
Like Merlin said, the guy was a racist ass but if any of us had grown up in the same environment he was, would we have thought any differently about blacks?

And at the risk of playing devil's advocate he did get with the program even if it was the self-serving purpose of staying in office. He voted for recognising Martin Luther King Day as a holiday and the voting-rights act when a lot of other politicians didn't in the 80's. He was the first southern senator I think who hired black staff members and made sure when he brought pork back home a fair chunk of it went to blacks as well.

During his elections in the 90's he regularly got 20% of the black vote which is pretty damn high for a Republican.

I'm not saying he was one of the better examples of American politicians but to be fair to the man see where he came from and at least credit him for not staying a demagogue.
Bill Jemas used to say that we could announce free milk and cookies with every Marvel comic and someone would complain that we were trying to kill them because they were lactose intolerant. - Joe Quesada

M Ali Choudhury

#516693 - 06/29/03 08:58 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
metron Offline

I don't know anything about Strom Thurmond. Except that he was a bit of a segregationist early in his political career. I tend to think that his claim to fame was his longevity. However, I don't intend to say anything bad about him, if in fact he did change his ways. I mean, everyone would like to be able to change the bad things about themselves, and be forgiven, right? I do question how much good Strom was doing the people of his state in his old and enfeebled condition, but he kept getting reelected, so I guess the people made their decision about how effective he was. :rolleyes:

#516694 - 06/29/03 10:11 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
darryl comix Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
You guys are unfairly attacking Strom Thurmond. I am not a racist or anti-gay, just a student of history.

You have to understand that having been born and raised in South Carolina a mere 38 years after the Civil War. There was/is a deep seeded hatred of blacks in the South, but it was not limited to the South there were/are many people all over the the U.S. hated blacks. This was an attitude that carried on until the civil rights movement of the 1960's. So, by calling Strom a racist, you may be calling your great-grandparents and your grandparents racists too.

As far as Strom being anti-gay, he was probably raised Southern Baptist(I don't know for sure), and probaly took the bible literally when it says same sex love is wrong. That is a attitude that many people still belive in today.

I find this offensive:

So, we should excuse this man for hating me and my people because a LOT of people hated us?

"It was socially acceptible!" That doesn't make it right. Doing things to try and screw over another ethnic group is wrong, no matter what society says.

I repeat, "fuck 'em."

You can't "unfairly attack" him; he's a documented racist. What the fuck is so "unfair" about that? The thing about grandparents is laughable; are the white posters here supposed to excuse Thurmond of his hate because their own relatives might have had the same feelings?

#516695 - 06/29/03 11:40 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
MAD MAD MERLIN Offline

No. I am not excusing his behavior.

There are many forms of racism in this country.

Take JFK, for example. He was Catholic. There are people in this country who cursed the heavens the day he got elected President. Because at the time being Catholic was a "bad thing".

Have you been watching the news? Every time I turn on the t.v. and see Joe Liberman, I think of JFK. The news people go on and on about the fact that he might be the first jewish president. So what? Who the hell cares? What does his religion have to do with anything?

So, Strom was a product of his time. He is just about the last of his kind(with the exception of Robert "Sheets" Byrd) in the Senate.

#516696 - 06/29/03 11:55 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Conor E Offline

Loc: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Lieberman's Jewish? Shit, that means by hating him all these years, I've been anti-Semetic.

Proud member of KELP:
Kyle's Emerald Liberation Party.

#516697 - 06/29/03 12:20 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

If Thurmond was just a product of his times, how does one explain honkeys from the South and North who opposed his views in the forties? Honkeys from the South North who opposed slavery during its time?

Matthew

#516698 - 06/29/03 12:59 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Scout99 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kingtut:
All I can say is, if Strom Thurmond had been elected president in the 50's, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years.

You're kidding, right? Lynching African-Americans and/or keeping them out of the armed service was a good thing (Thurmond left the Democrats when Truman intergrated the Armed Forces)?

Get fucking real, man.

:rolleyes:

#516699 - 06/29/03 05:08 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
kingtut Offline

Loc: CS, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Scout99:

You're kidding, right? Lynching African-Americans and/or keeping them out of the armed service was a good thing (Thurmond left the Democrats when Truman intergrated the Armed Forces)?

Get fucking real, man.

::rolls eyes:: Read a fucking newspaper and get a clue, man.

#516700 - 06/29/03 05:24 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
cactusmaac Offline

Loc: Undisclosed Location
Quote:
Originally posted by Scout99:

Get fucking real, man.

Kingtut was referring to the Trent Lott affair case you didn't know.
Bill Jemas used to say that we could announce free milk and cookies with every Marvel comic and someone would complain that we were trying to kill them because they were lactose intolerant. - Joe Quesada

M Ali Choudhury

#516701 - 06/29/03 10:34 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
David Porta Offline

Quote:
There are many forms of racism in this country.

Take JFK, for example. He was Catholic.

"Racism"? I think a better word, for the JFK example, would be "bigotry." But that undercuts your whole point about there being "many forms of racism," such as anti-Catholicism.

"Bigotry" is the better word in that context. Why doesn't anyone use "bigotry" any more? Bring back "bigotry"!

Certainly, the bigotry of the pinko left-wing is alive and healthy, as evidenced by the threads on comics reader message boards.

"News, Announcements and Gossip" is an off-topic category, right?

~Dave

#516702 - 06/29/03 10:36 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Masterman_dup1 Offline

[img]http://www.alternative3.com/hype/promo2606a.jpg[/img]

You guys into comics? Come over and talk to me about my comic on my thread /hype/ "Like a Lighting Strike!" I am even going to let Dan Caroll take free shots at me... it is going to be a hoot!

#516703 - 06/29/03 10:38 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
MAD MAD MERLIN Offline

What is the difference between a racist and a bigot? confused

#516704 - 06/29/03 10:42 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Masterman_dup1 Offline

Quote:
What is the difference between a racist and a bigot? confused

Who knows!? Join the Conspiracy!

Quote:

WHO ARE WE REALLY?

We are Devo!

#516705 - 06/29/03 10:52 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Ben T. Steckler Offline

I think all the bigots should be shipped back off to bigotland where they came from!

#516706 - 06/29/03 11:05 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Jughead Jones Offline

Loc: Riverdale USA
Quote:
Originally posted by David Porta:

Certainly, the bigotry of the pinko left-wing is alive and healthy, as evidenced by the threads on comics reader message boards.

Yeah! All this renunciation of racism and homophobia! What a bunch of bigoted blowhards you damned commie libs are!

ROCK ON DAVID PORTA! WOOOOOO!

note: did he really just say "pinko?" Really? Is my watch set wrong and it's really 1953?

#516707 - 06/29/03 11:15 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Noah Offline

Quote:

I never, ever accept this excuse, because so much of the Bible is summarily rejected or ignored by the very same people.

"Is that likely to affect his executive decision-making ability?"

- The Filth

#516708 - 06/30/03 12:00 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
dlmccaslin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by David Porta:
Strom was a good Democrat for many years, the part of Eleanor Rooseveldt, Truman, JFK, LBJ, et cetera.

More Republicans voted for civil rights and the abolition of Jim Crow than Democrats, and that's a fact. If you don't believe me, you could look it up. The Dems, statistically, were the ones who opposed civil rights. The few Dems who supported it are held up by revisionists as representative of Dems as a whole, historically. Bullshit.

~Dave

True, in the 19th Century the Democrats were opposed to civil rights and the Republicans (Lincoln, anyone?) supported abolition. But your history is a bit backward. The Republican party was co-opted by many who felt they should just go with the tide. Teddy Roosevelt was one of the last equal rights proponents, but all of his ideas (like welfare and a minimum wage) were considered cooky. But Elanore Roosevelt campaigned for civil rights and sufferage, JFK first introduced the civil rights act and LBJ helped to push it through. Truman was the first person to desegregate the military. LBJ took a lot of shit because a lot of southerners thought he was betraying them. That's when Strom quit the party.
LBJ also pushed the war on poverty as part of his Great Society. If it wasn't for that damn war, he would have been a great president.

#516709 - 06/30/03 12:04 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
dlmccaslin Offline

I don't believe in bigotry because I don't believe in making any gross generalizations about a group of people. Besides, that's the kind of thing they did in Russia!

#516710 - 06/30/03 05:22 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
David Porta Offline

Helms was a segregationist back when he was a Democrat.

Goldwater's opposition to segregation was longstanding and well known. No doubt he won the votes of many former (or current) Democrats who opposed Lyndon Johnson's civil-rights initiatives.

There's no doubt that Democrats like Lyndon Johnson did important things for black folks by ending segregation, even as then-Senator Albert Gore Sr. (D., Tenn.) opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and South Carolina's former Democratic governor Ernest Hollings hoisted the Confederate flag atop the Palmetto State's capitol building. Since then, Democrats have trapped poor black children in failing government schools while binding black entrepreneurs with red tape.

I really don't know how anyone could honestly accuse the Democrats of being insensitive to minorities. I mean, sure, you opposed the Civil Rights Act, and you are the only party with a former Klansman and three former segregationists in Congress, but that's all old news. Don't people realize that when you are the party of Cynthia McKinney and James Moran, sensitivity comes as easy to you as, well, spelling and foreign policy.

More Republicans than Democrats voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Republicans in both the House and Senate were more likely than Democrats to favor the 1964 Civil Rights Act. (In the Senate, Republican support was 82 percent, compared to 69 percent among Democrats; in the House, it was 80 percent and 63 percent, respectively.) In fact, there were three-and-a-half times the number of Democrats (21) opposing the bill as Republicans (6). One of the Democrats voting against the 1964 Civil Rights Act, incidentally, was named Albert Gore, Sr.

#516711 - 06/30/03 07:44 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Brent Grenier Offline

This thread's about Strom Thurmond, not what everyone else did in congress in 1964 or any other time.

#516712 - 06/30/03 09:17 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dan Carroll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
I am even going to let Dan Caroll take free shots at me... it is going to be a hoot!

Now Mark, you know very well that depends on how bored I get at work...

#516713 - 06/30/03 11:07 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Masterman_dup1 Offline

Quote:

Now Mark, you know very well that depends on how bored I get at work...

Good, get nice and bored. So bored that you have to talk to me about my comic book. Then you just might be actually entertained, for a brief time at least.

#516714 - 06/30/03 11:31 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Matthewwave Offline

Is Strom Thurmond in your comic book?

Matthew

#516715 - 06/30/03 11:54 AM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Dan Carroll Offline

Quote:

He's the evil "Segregat-or". The twist ending is when the heroes discover that he's actually just a scared, confused product of his time...

...who feels many of his fellow men are less then animals, not even fit to share a water fountain with him.

Then they pummel him with amputated elephant penises until he dies because that "product of his time" bullshit doesn't fly.

smile

#516716 - 06/30/03 12:13 PM Re: Strom Thurmond is Dead
Masterman_dup1 Offline

Quote:

Matthew

Strom's brain is going to be transferred by the U.S. Government into a robot body like ROM's.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >