Topic Options
#517017 - 07/01/03 10:06 PM Bush Administration Does Something Right (For Once)
-eric Offline

Loc: ohio

#517018 - 07/02/03 01:22 AM Re: Bush Administration Does Something Right (For Once)
Jughead Jones Offline

Loc: Riverdale USA
Seems to me that either the US should fully oppose the international court and refuse to acknowledge its authority, or submit to its rulings on US citizens.

Why do you support the President on this, Eric? I'm curious as to the thought process.

#517019 - 07/02/03 03:18 AM Re: Bush Administration Does Something Right (For Once)
Chris Knowles Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jughead Jones:
Seems to me that either the US should fully oppose the international court and refuse to acknowledge its authority, or submit to its rulings on US citizens.

Why do you support the President on this, Eric? I'm curious as to the thought process.

That's the crux. Where does he really stand on sovereignty? Hopefully not the same place he stands on governement spending, or Constitiutional Liberty, or avoiding foreign entanglements or...

#517020 - 07/02/03 05:17 AM Re: Bush Administration Does Something Right (For Once)
-eric Offline

Loc: ohio

I don't think we should recognize or support any non-Article III judicial body.

1. The ICC would not be bound by the principles of our Constitution and Bill of Rights. 2. The ICC would hold unchecked power over US citizens, both here and abroad. 3. The ICC claims jurisdiction over every human being on the planet, without exception, and without recognition of our most basic human right: the right to self governance.

I support the Administration's efforts to procure extradition exemptions from every nation in the world and the suspension of economic aid to nations who refuse to honor our soveriegnty.

I'd like to see Kissinger (and a handful of others) rot in a prison cell as much as the next person -- but not this way. There's so much we can do, within the framework of our own Constitution, to hold our leaders accountable for their actions. The last thing we need to do is hand our soveriegnty over to a foreign Judiciary.

#517021 - 07/02/03 04:39 PM Re: Bush Administration Does Something Right (For Once)
RANDY Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
In the begining the World Court sounded like a good idea on paper but its only when I begin to consider the ramifications for the United States that it became apparent that one of its main goals was to enable smaller countries with the means to stick it to any bigger countries that it has problems with. Already we have people in Belgium that want to put Gen. Tommy Franks on trial for war crimes. Imagine what it would be like if we were under the auspices of this court and we had to actually acknowledge their authority? How many members of the U.S. military would be facing charges brought about by the French? And why stop there? I'm sure someone like Gerhard Schroader of Germany would love to see Bush indicted for crimes against humanity. All in all it could be a very dangerous institution if used the wrong way.