Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
#520801 - 08/25/03 09:32 PM Re: My era has passed.
dannyhellman Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Catalino:

Anything I get from the comic store are things that I ordered several months ago.

What about the things you get from the comic store in the months to come? Will these be items you have yet to order, or will they be things that you ordered even further back in time? I demand an answer.

#520802 - 08/25/03 09:39 PM Re: My era has passed.
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaoure:
Well, it's your opinion and you're welcome to it. I'm not diminishing the contributions of Jack Kirby or Neal Adams by saying that there's better stuff being done today... Nothing wrong with New Gods, but it's difficult to imagine a serious comparison between that work and, say, Cages. And, really, did the innovations of the Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil Green Lantern/Green Arrow even begin to plumb the depths of Jimmy Corrigan?

And speaking of Neal, yeah, he did all manner of wonderful things (and he seems to be a pretty nice guy to boot), but are we really celebrating the creation of Continuity Comics? Don't get me wrong, he's got a lovely line... but I think the world has seen better stories than CyberRad and Bucky O'Hare.

By the way, "Marv and George" were Wolfman & Perez, respectively. Superstars of the eighties whose Teen Titans and Crisis were selling the pants off of virtually everything else at the moment.

And, by the way, there's a whole heckuva lot that pisses on anything Dave Sim ever wrote, so no big statements there.

I don't think I'll ever understand what's so controversial about saying "they had their day and it's done now. Others have taken what they started and gone on to build even more." Wouldn't they have wanted that? Isn't "Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating..." proof enough that the old stuff isn't really working anymore?

We disagree: nothing wrong with the old stuff, but these are more exciting times, more interesting times, and better times. We can cling to the stuff that can't seem to manage to bring back that ol' four-color feeling anymore, like Sam, or we can embrace the best of today, the best ever.

To be honest with you, I did not really care for the Imagine Stan Lee Creating stuff, except to see John Buscema's work. It was nice to see, but it wasn't worth the money for each issue I paid for them. And that is my point.

You won't catch me directly dissing the stuff today. As I have stated, there are many comics out there that are quality work. I just can't see myself paying as much for them these days. Of course I remember comics for a dime, and those days like the 29 cents a gallon for gas and those gas wars are gone forever.

I also believe the high prices has a great deal to do with lower circulation figures these days. I believe that comic prices are too high as it is.
That is not going to change, and that is sad.

Of course, I have lost my enthusiasm for new comics. I would rather read a newly released Civil War book or a history book than a comic these days.

For those of you who continue to buy new books, keep on doing it because you enjoy it, not for some of the lame reasons I made to myself just to keep my Action Comics collection or Spider-Man collection going. Reading should be a joy, not a chore. That is what happened to me.

#520803 - 08/25/03 09:43 PM Re: My era has passed.
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dirty danny:

What about the things you get from the comic store in the months to come? Will these be items you have yet to order, or will they be things that you ordered even further back in time? I demand an answer.

Danny, anything I ordered months ago in Previews, I will pick up from my comic store. There is very little left if anything. The last of the monthly books came the last week of July.
I made no order for the month of August shipping or any after this month.
I receive no Previews, so I have not ordered anything for the last several months.

Does that answer your question?

#520804 - 08/25/03 10:01 PM Re: My era has passed.
Rich Koller Offline

Loc: Between the moon and Jersey Ci...
C'mon, what was the comic? Anna Malle's Dirty Deeds? New Bondage Fairies? Spongebob Squarepants?

#520805 - 08/25/03 11:03 PM Re: My era has passed.
dannyhellman Offline

Quote:

Danny, anything I ordered months ago in Previews, I will pick up from my comic store. There is very little left if anything. The last of the monthly books came the last week of July.
I made no order for the month of August shipping or any after this month.
I receive no Previews, so I have not ordered anything for the last several months.

Does that answer your question?

I'm afraid it doesn't ; I'll try to rephrase the question:

If you are to receive comics at the comic shop in, say---this coming March of 2004, when will you have placed the orders for these comics? Would these be orders that you have placed earlier today, orders that you will place in the months to come, or orders that you made in earlier months/years, (an order you may have made, for example, in April of 1997)?

Please let me know if this clarifies the matter for you at all.

#520806 - 08/26/03 01:05 AM Re: My era has passed.
Cisco Bunny Offline

Loc: New York City
I can agree with Sam... I feel the same way.

But, don't stop going to the comic shop. In the last month, I have picked up that great Al Williamson book, with the Frank Cho intro, and that CRAZ-EE Kirby "Jimmy Olson" book.

Maybe you should give up COLLECTING comics, but you shouldn't give up going through the GN section at Virgin, or going to conventions.

Besides, what have ya got to lose? $40 in convention money, a time or two a year? That's nuthin'!

#520807 - 08/26/03 03:07 AM Re: My era has passed.
Harold Berle Offline

Loc: Pasadena CA
Come home Sam, come home...
[img]http://www.flyingdreams.org/tv/lassie/lassamaz.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.thehealthpages.com/ar_images/nursing_home_top.gif[/img]

#520808 - 08/26/03 07:36 AM Re: My era has passed.
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dirty danny:

I'm afraid it doesn't ; I'll try to rephrase the question:

If you are to receive comics at the comic shop in, say---this coming March of 2004, when will you have placed the orders for these comics? Would these be orders that you have placed earlier today, orders that you will place in the months to come, or orders that you made in earlier months/years, (an order you may have made, for example, in April of 1997)?

Please let me know if this clarifies the matter for you at all.

I have not made any orders for any comics for several months. All the monthly books I would order month to month, I no longer buy. So the translation is that any comics that were in Previews to ship in August, I ordered nothing.

I have not been at the comic store for about three weeks. The last week I was there, there was only one comic that I ordered about seven to eight months ago.

I have placed no orders for several months.

#520809 - 08/26/03 07:41 AM Re: My era has passed.
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco Bunny:
I can agree with Sam... I feel the same way.

But, don't stop going to the comic shop. In the last month, I have picked up that great Al Williamson book, with the Frank Cho intro, and that CRAZ-EE Kirby "Jimmy Olson" book.

Maybe you should give up COLLECTING comics, but you shouldn't give up going through the GN section at Virgin, or going to conventions.

Besides, what have ya got to lose? $40 in convention money, a time or two a year? That's nuthin'!

Well, if I fly to San Diego, there is plane fare, hotel accomodations (my advice is stay at a hotel in Old Town rather than the hotels near the convention) and if you eat at the convention center well they gouge you. So it is considerably more that $40. I did not have the best of experiences at the last Con that I went to, and I may not go to that one again.

As for going to comic book shops, I have friends there, and I will pop in from time to time to see them. Who knows, there might be some old book that invokes memories that I might pick up.

#520810 - 08/26/03 01:23 PM Re: My era has passed.
dannyhellman Offline

Quote:

I have not made any orders for any comics for several months. All the monthly books I would order month to month, I no longer buy. So the translation is that any comics that were in Previews to ship in August, I ordered nothing.

I have not been at the comic store for about three weeks. The last week I was there, there was only one comic that I ordered about seven to eight months ago.

I have placed no orders for several months.

Yes, yes---there's no need for you to belabor the obvious.

What you have FAILED to make clear is this: if you were to walk (hypothetically speaking) into the comic shop sometime next year, say in March of 2004, and the shopowner were to hand you a pile of comic books and slap you on the shoulder heartily, greeting you with a warm "here's your stuff, Crapalino," the question is, (and I ask you to pay CLOSE ATTENTION at this point): WHEN WOULD YOU HAVE ORDERED THOSE BOOKS?

Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >