Page 23 of 23 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23
Topic Options
#521001 - 09/25/03 09:01 PM Re: My era has passed.
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gene phillips:
Let's not forget Gary Coleman, who was the real-life basis for the Vigilante's insidious "little person" enemy, the Dummy. Though some have suggested that the name of the Dummy was based on Tom deLay.

Roy Thomas would know.

http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/latest.gif

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#521002 - 09/26/03 04:29 PM Re: My era has passed.
Dumas Offline

Loc: Melnibone
Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Catalino:

So where did I say I was no longer discussing old comics?

You implied it yourself a few posts above when you said you weren't talking about old comics.

See... I haven't been able to buy any new comics for months, but I still find comic-related things I can legitimately (or at least somewhat legitimately) offer my opinion about and talk about them.

You mostly seem to be all about your political views and hating Erik Larsen.

Since I'm busy devoting energy to showing my disdain for Geoff Johns on a thread, I can understand the thought process a little... but I do other things beside hate the writing of Geoff Johns and I try to not come across like a pest, and I don't carry my personal vendettas across several threads and generally try to dominate a whole forum with my opinions.

Newsflash: Much like ScooterDoom doesn't want to hear that some people beside me think Johns sucks rocks through 30 feet of garden hose, a lot of people don't want to read your comments.

I suggest trying to find a good politically oriented, Erik Larsen-free message board and saving your energy for that community instead of creating bad vibes in this one.

Why not hang out at TCJ.com or something? They don't enjoy new superhero comics either and you might learn some stuff.

#521003 - 09/26/03 04:44 PM Re: My era has passed.
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dumas:

You implied it yourself a few posts above when you said you weren't talking about old comics.

See... I haven't been able to buy any new comics for months, but I still find comic-related things I can legitimately (or at least somewhat legitimately) offer my opinion about and talk about them.

You mostly seem to be all about your political views and hating Erik Larsen.

Since I'm busy devoting energy to showing my disdain for Geoff Johns on a thread, I can understand the thought process a little... but I do other things beside hate the writing of Geoff Johns and I try to not come across like a pest, and I don't carry my personal vendettas across several threads and generally try to dominate a whole forum with my opinions.

Newsflash: Much like ScooterDoom doesn't want to hear that some people beside me think Johns sucks rocks through 30 feet of garden hose, a lot of people don't want to read your comments.

I suggest trying to find a good politically oriented, Erik Larsen-free message board and saving your energy for that community instead of creating bad vibes in this one.

Why not hang out at TCJ.com or something? They don't enjoy new superhero comics either and you might learn some stuff.

I don't think I implied it. You are in error.

I concede your points about the political threads and threads about things that affect us in everyday life.
The Larsen thing is talking about his penchant attack dog mentality against other artists in the field and I used an example of his anatomical failings in the lastest Savage Dragon, so there is current comic book discussion.
I don't hate Larsen, I just don't have any respect for his opinions which lack deliberation and seem to be ravings, IMHO.

#521004 - 09/26/03 05:44 PM Re: My era has passed.
Dumas Offline

Loc: Melnibone
Quote:

I don't think I implied it. You are in error.

A lot of other people thought you implied it too, which explains the basis for many of the comments (some of which, fyi, were playful ribbing) from others you were apparently having a hard time understanding.

I was just trying to help you understand why it seemed like you were pretty blatantly contradicting yourself to some folks.

So, it seems to me that you have some basic communication problems.

But whatever.

Quote:
I don't hate Larsen, I just don't have any respect for his opinions which lack deliberation and seem to be ravings, IMHO.

Interestingly enough, that seems to be the general consensus about you, amigo.

Now, I can kind of sympathize because there are people (ScooterDoom and Omar, for example) who think I'm an asshole... but if so many people say the same basic things about you, well...

... maybe you're not a misunderstood genius, if you get my drift.

#521005 - 09/27/03 02:05 PM Re: My era has passed.
BOONE Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
I lost my enthusiasm about new comics some time ago. I bought up to 50 to 60 titles a month and it became more of a chore to read most of them than a joy. I cut back dramatically a few months ago, and a few months ago I decided that it was time to stop purchasing new comics.

The rot began a few years ago and I discussed this with Maggie Thompson last year at San Diego when I complained there was nothing out there I really looked forward to each month..

Intense post! Yet the situation isn't that bad. I know of dozens of very talented up and coming comics writers and artists making their way into the comics medium.

From funny animal cartoons to adult cartoons there's a wide array of subject matter and talent.

Marketing isn't that dismal either. The traditional reach may not be for the newcommer. The web affords a wonderful new approach at getting products out to people who may not have access to it via mainstream means. Innovative approaches will solve this as well as taking responsibility enough so as not to blame 'the distributors' or 'the retailers' for every bump and bruise along the way.

The best new comics stuff I've seen ( and believe you me I can sympathize with you after having my own 40 year run of comics and having worked with some of the greats )are coming from the street creators. Here in LA I teach and pay and chat with lots of talented creators and I haven't had this much fun in comics in over ten years.

#521006 - 09/27/03 02:40 PM Re: My era has passed.
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Yes, but you have to want to find new good comics. Someone who goes for 50-60 a month... well... laugh

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#521007 - 09/27/03 02:46 PM Re: My era has passed.
BOONE Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW:
Yes, but you have to want to find new good comics. Someone who goes for 50-60 a month... well... laugh

Yep! And that is best done by just going out and visiting schools, art museums, libraries, Starbucks, and of course comicons and stores.

You'ld be suprised at how sharp some retailers are about what a good comic is.

#521008 - 09/27/03 04:45 PM Re: My era has passed.
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dumas:

Interestingly enough, that seems to be the general consensus about you, amigo.

Now, I can kind of sympathize because there are people (ScooterDoom and Omar, for example) who think I'm an asshole... but if so many people say the same basic things about you, well...

... maybe you're not a misunderstood genius, if you get my drift.

I never claimed to be a misundertood genius. I find consensus from sockpuppets to be worthless.

Quote:

A lot of other people thought you implied it too, which explains the basis for many of the comments (some of which, fyi, were playful ribbing) from others you were apparently having a hard time understanding.

I was just trying to help you understand why it seemed like you were pretty blatantly contradicting yourself to some folks.

So, it seems to me that you have some basic communication problems.

But whatever.

It sounds like you are just joining the bunch to me.

#521009 - 09/27/03 04:48 PM Re: My era has passed.
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BOONE:

Intense post! Yet the situation isn't that bad. I know of dozens of very talented up and coming comics writers and artists making their way into the comics medium.

From funny animal cartoons to adult cartoons there's a wide array of subject matter and talent.

Marketing isn't that dismal either. The traditional reach may not be for the newcommer. The web affords a wonderful new approach at getting products out to people who may not have access to it via mainstream means. Innovative approaches will solve this as well as taking responsibility enough so as not to blame 'the distributors' or 'the retailers' for every bump and bruise along the way.

The best new comics stuff I've seen ( and believe you me I can sympathize with you after having my own 40 year run of comics and having worked with some of the greats )are coming from the street creators. Here in LA I teach and pay and chat with lots of talented creators and I haven't had this much fun in comics in over ten years.

There is always something. I am just not as intense in purchasing new comics and have given it up.

Does that mean I might break down and buy JLA/Avengers? I might if I found a copy to buy....

Page 23 of 23 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23