Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#523519 - 10/09/03 09:06 PM Re: "DON'T BUY CROSSGEN BOOKS" says cheated freelancer
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck gibson:

You're absolutely right, Brent. I'm no fan of Mark Alessi and I don't think that's any kind of secret at this point, but the man's hardly in the category of evil that Adolf Hitler was.

Thanks for the support to everyone, but maybe the comparison to Nazi Germany is a BIT much. smile

best
chuck

Common sense at last! smile

#523520 - 10/09/03 09:07 PM Re: "DON'T BUY CROSSGEN BOOKS" says cheated freelancer
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jack:
Sam hosts a Crossgen Forum at ORCA, by the way.

Actually, I moderate it, as I moderate the DC forum as well.

#523521 - 10/09/03 09:10 PM Re: "DON'T BUY CROSSGEN BOOKS" says cheated freelancer
Trevor Giberson Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Catalino:

Actually, I moderate it, as I moderate the DC forum as well.

And yet you don't read any new Crossgen or DC comics?
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to he man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
- Ayn Rand

#523522 - 10/10/03 01:23 PM Re: "DON'T BUY CROSSGEN BOOKS" says cheated freelancer
Casey Sager Offline

Omar has a list? For what...groceries? Has this guy always been a dweeb? I've known of him for almost 6 years, that's a long time to be such a bitter loser.

Casey

#523523 - 10/10/03 01:52 PM Re: "DON'T BUY CROSSGEN BOOKS" says cheated freelancer
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Giberson:

And yet you don't read any new Crossgen or DC comics?

Your point is...?

#523524 - 10/12/03 11:55 AM Re: "DON'T BUY CROSSGEN BOOKS" says cheated freelancer
cincinnatus Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Catalino:

Your point is...?

I'm going to be guilty of "mind reading" here (according to the Byrne board), but I think the point is why moderate a board on a topic that you apparently have no interest in?

Disclaimer: I have never been to the ORCA CGE and DC boards, so I do not know whether they deal with back issues exclusively or whatnot. But assuming they discuss new issues, which you don't buy any longer (per the "My Era Has Passed" thread), it would seem strange to some (me included) that you would moderate a thread like that.

Unless you get paid to do so, which would make perfect sense.

BTW, Sam, did you track down an issue of JLA/Avengers yet? I would also recommend (if you're still looking for something new to check out) Arrowsmith by Busiek and Pacheco, if you can find it around. Different and interesting.

Jake

#523525 - 10/12/03 03:15 PM Re: "DON'T BUY CROSSGEN BOOKS" says cheated freelancer
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cincinnatus:

I'm going to be guilty of "mind reading" here (according to the Byrne board), but I think the point is why moderate a board on a topic that you apparently have no interest in?

Disclaimer: I have never been to the ORCA CGE and DC boards, so I do not know whether they deal with back issues exclusively or whatnot. But assuming they discuss new issues, which you don't buy any longer (per the "My Era Has Passed" thread), it would seem strange to some (me included) that you would moderate a thread like that.

Unless you get paid to do so, which would make perfect sense.

BTW, Sam, did you track down an issue of JLA/Avengers yet? I would also recommend (if you're still looking for something new to check out) Arrowsmith by Busiek and Pacheco, if you can find it around. Different and interesting.

Jake

I was around when Crossgen started over at San Diego a number of years ago and got to know most of those people then. Some of them are still good friends to this day. I have been to the CGE studios a number of times. The thing is that there have been a number of things I have been told by many over there that I can not talk about publicly as it is their business. Many of the things they are going through now I have some ideas what and why, but I can't discuss it nor will I discuss it here. I just let the so called "newshounds" speculate (they are wrong much more than they are right) and that amuses me a great deal. I also have bought most of the CGE product prior to my stopping purchasing new comics. I have been the moderator there for several years.

#523526 - 10/12/03 06:54 PM Re: "DON'T BUY CROSSGEN BOOKS" says cheated freelancer
Jake.Hazelip Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl, US of A
Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Grenier:
I keep trying to imagine Omar's obsessiveness if he was there duing the bust up of companies in the late 80s to mid 90s.

He would've gone insane from the number of companies he'd have to boycott.
Eclipse, Comico, Now, Kitchen Sink, First, Charlton, etc. Funny how new comics and comics companies keep popping up all the time, but we're all supposed to believe that if CGE goes, there goes the industry right along with it. :rolleyes:

#523527 - 10/13/03 12:40 PM Re: "DON'T BUY CROSSGEN BOOKS" says cheated freelancer
Chris Rednour Offline

Loc: GA
Quote:
Originally posted by cincinnatus:

To be a moderator, you don't have to read the books, you only need to enforce the forum rules.

Back when I was a volunteer mod for Interplay's message boards, I moderated the forums for games I had never played, much less owned. It didn't matter because I was only there to enforce the rules...

#523528 - 10/13/03 12:49 PM Re: "DON'T BUY CROSSGEN BOOKS" says cheated freelancer
Brent Grenier Offline

Quote:
Eclipse, Comico, Now, Kitchen Sink, First, Charlton, etc. Funny how new comics and comics companies keep popping up all the time, but we're all supposed to believe that if CGE goes, there goes the industry right along with it.

That wasn't the point, Jake.

And you know it.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >