Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 ... 26 27 >
Topic Options
#525218 - 10/29/03 02:39 PM Nutty laws in Vermont....?
Samuel Catalino Offline

Well, we have had our share of problems in Florida...

I just love this story...it just shows that idiotic laws are in every state and those that enforce them are the same...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apfeature_story.asp?category=1120&slug=Sna ke%20Freezer

Will someone explain to me how you break the law when handling a dead animal? Even if it was an endangered species? Well, with Dean as a former governor, nothing surprises me in Vermont.

Maybe someone could explain this idiocy to me?

#525219 - 10/29/03 03:15 PM Re: Nutty laws in Vermont....?
TTROY Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH, USA
No i think the bigger question is here....

why does Dean having been a former govenor of Vermont seem to set off a red flag for you...

There are laws like this all over the country...
Are you implying blame of this law at Dean's feet?

What was the point of that statement or do you have a political motive behind it? What does an enviomental law that was made before Dean was govenor have anything to do with him?

#525220 - 10/29/03 03:16 PM Re: Nutty laws in Vermont....?
B. Michael White Offline

Loc: Nowhere
Yeah there are some nutty laws. Look up "blue laws" on any search engine and have a good chuckle.

OR recoil in horror at some laws that make certain sexual relations between consenting adults illegal. Where is it any of the governments business what a man and a man, woman and a woman, or man and woman do in the privacy of their bedrooms? ITS NOT!

Just to show you that Sodomy laws arent just targeting homosexuals read these and tell me if it doesnt raise your blood pressure just a few points:

http://www.datalounge.com/datalounge/news/record.html?record=5394&continuebutton=Not+Now

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/sex14.htm

These are the types of laws that we should ALL be fighting against!
Black Adam in Infinite Crisis #6 (A'la Lawson):
"Now help me eat his eyeballs. Bitch"

#525221 - 10/29/03 03:18 PM Re: Nutty laws in Vermont....?
B. Michael White Offline

Loc: Nowhere
Quote:
Originally posted by TTROY:

why does Dean having been a former govenor of Vermont seem to set off a red flag for you...

What was the point of that statement or do you have a political motive behind it? What does an enviomental law that was made before Dean was govenor have anything to do with him?

Thats Samuel getting his digs in. He loves to make his points known, let the deluge begin.
Black Adam in Infinite Crisis #6 (A'la Lawson):
"Now help me eat his eyeballs. Bitch"

#525222 - 10/29/03 03:34 PM Re: Nutty laws in Vermont....?
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TTROY:

Being that the changes were made while Dean was governor might have something to do with that.

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/fw/fwhome/nnhp/Animals%20-%20T%20and%20E%20Legal%20List.htm

Not to mention he was part of the legislature that helped put the law into effect....

Any more questions?

#525223 - 10/29/03 03:48 PM Re: Nutty laws in Vermont....?
Dean R Milburn Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Catalino:

Will someone explain to me how you break the law when handling a dead animal? Even if it was an endangered species?

Maybe someone could explain this idiocy to me?

So Sam, you've already decided it's idiocy even though you are asking for an explanation.

I'll give you a potential explanation, although YOU won't find it at all sastisfying, and since I have no intention of digging through Vermont's congressional record in search of legislative intent, it won't rise to your level of proof. Unlike my Halliburton argument, this one is not supported by a plethora of facts.

If you've ever been in the southwest (maybe other parts of the country as well) and been into a truck stop, or trading post, you'd know there is a market for rattlesnake heads and rattles. This gives folks an additional incentive to kill rattlesnakes (although in AZ and NM we never needed anymore incentive than, 'it's something that can kill me so I'll kill it first').

So let's say I'm in the business of supplying endangered species parts to some buyer (there is also a black market for eagle feathers, and I'm sure some people want endangered species just for trophy value). I've killed a snake. Now Joe Law finds me with the dead snake, if it isn't against the law to possess it, and he didn't see me kill it, there's not a whole lot he can do now is there?

So I don't think the law itself is stupid, now if the prosecutor and the cops involved in this case honestly believe the guy merely ran it over with a car, and just carried home the carcass, then they are stupid for prosecuting him, and I hope the case gets laughed out of court.

#525224 - 10/29/03 03:56 PM Re: Nutty laws in Vermont....?
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Now if only someone could explain Jeb Bush's "First Amendment Zones".

Which, of course, are exactly the same as a law against keeping dead snakes in your freezer. :rolleyes:

#525225 - 10/29/03 05:07 PM Re: Nutty laws in Vermont....?
Matt Putnam-Pouliot Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Catalino:

Being that the changes were made while Dean was governor might have something to do with that.

Not to mention he was part of the legislature that helped put the law into effect....

Any more questions?

Nice try, Sam. The Vermont endangered species law was adopted in 1981. Dean entered the Vermont House in 1983. Check it out here .

He may have had some input towards amendments made to the law in later years, but the part specifically dealing with the handling of endangered species passed before he could have voted for or against it. The changes mentioned on your link are clearly additions or subtractions from the list of endangered species, not the law.

Why do you hate endangered species anyway?

#525226 - 10/29/03 05:55 PM Re: Nutty laws in Vermont....?
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Carroll:
Now if only someone could explain Jeb Bush's "First Amendment Zones".

Which, of course, are exactly the same as a law against keeping dead snakes in your freezer. :rolleyes:

Are you sure you are not referring to his brother?

#525227 - 10/29/03 06:03 PM Re: Nutty laws in Vermont....?
Samuel Catalino Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Putnam-Pouliot:

Nice try, Sam. The Vermont endangered species law was adopted in 1981. Dean entered the Vermont House in 1983. Check it out here .

He may have had some input towards amendments made to the law in later years, but the part specifically dealing with the handling of endangered species passed before he could have voted for or against it. The changes mentioned on your link are clearly additions or subtractions from the list of endangered species, not the law.

Why do you hate endangered species anyway?

You are correct, he was elected in 1982, but he moved to Vermont by 1978 and I would assume that he was politically involved as he ran for office in 1982.

Well, isn't it part of evolution theory that the strongest survive?

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 ... 26 27 >