Topic Options
#527378 - 12/28/03 08:12 PM Offline & Out of The Loop: Need info on JLAvengers and Adams' Batman compilations...
Michael D. Offline

1) I now hear that JLA/Avengers #4 is not due until February? Is this true? What is the reason? I thought they weren't gonna solicit the first issue until all four were in the can -- am I misremembering? I could have sworn they were gonna sit on all four issues until the whole thing was completed...

2) Last time I checked in there was a discussion (by Erik Larsen among others) about Neal Adams re-drawing portions of the Complete Neal Adams Batman hardcover (#1 of 3). I have a number of the original issues and there was definitely a lot of redrawing. Has Neal copped to it? Has he explained why he did it? The hardcover makes mention of the "evolution" of Neal's approach to drawing Bats, but how can a proper observation of a gradual evolution be achieved when a 2003 Adams Batman face is stuck on a 1974 Adams Batman body?

Help!

#527379 - 12/28/03 11:53 PM Re: Offline & Out of The Loop: Need info on JLAvengers and Adams' Batman compilations...
Loblolly Offline

1) I had thought it was going to be mid to late January, actually. George Perez suffered some sort of hand injury drawing the cover of #3, so that was the cause of the delay. I know they wanted to get a lot of the material done, but I don't recall them wanting to have the whole thing done prior to solicitation. Perez's work on Solus and Crossgen Chronicles probably prevented that from happening anyhow.

#527380 - 12/29/03 08:59 AM Re: Offline & Out of The Loop: Need info on JLAvengers and Adams' Batman compilations...
rockieman Offline

Loc: new york
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael D.:
2) Last time I checked in there was a discussion (by Erik Larsen among others) about Neal Adams re-drawing portions of the Complete Neal Adams Batman hardcover (#1 of 3). I have a number of the original issues and there was definitely a lot of redrawing. Has Neal copped to it? Has he explained why he did it? The hardcover makes mention of the "evolution" of Neal's approach to drawing Bats, but how can a proper observation of a gradual evolution be achieved when a 2003 Adams Batman face is stuck on a 1974 Adams Batman body?

Help!

As far as I can recall (and I'm sure other posters will correct me if I'm mistaken), Neal said back in the day DC made changes to the artwork, and the changes were by other artists. He was now offered the opportunity to "correct" some of the things he was not happy with.

I forget all the details, but during the creation of this volume Neal was told to stop "correcting" panels and that's why certain pages may seem a little disjointed. He wasn't given the opportunity to go through every story. It may have had to do with money. Neal wanted to keep the price of the volumes down. It was originally solicited with a $75 cover price, but was later changed to $50.
I personally think the artwork should have been left alone, except for color corrections. It is pretty apparent what were the "original" panels versus the "corrected" ones.

However, this didn't stop me from enjoying the book, or looking forward to the next volumes.

#527381 - 12/29/03 11:38 AM Re: Offline & Out of The Loop: Need info on JLAvengers and Adams' Batman compilations...
metron Offline

I agree that Adams should not have retouched any of his art. I didn't like it when Marvel, in their reprints in days past, would alter lines of dialog to make the stories appear more modern.
As far as Perez's injury is concerned, I'm surprised that most artists done end up with carpal tunnel syndrome or some similar injury, given all the drawing they have to do on a given page. Here's hoping George recovers quickly.