Topic Options
#534822 - 01/26/09 10:27 AM CHRIS YOST ON WRITING HULK VS. THOR & COMICS
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA

BY JENNIFER M. CONTINO
Over the last six years, Christopher Yost has had a hand in just about every single Marvel animated project in comics and film. The scribe has a great love of all things Marvel and that shines through in just about every assignment he's written. Recently the Hulk Vs. DVD, which he co-wrote with Craig Kyle hit the scene. In this, the Jade Goliath is fighting and collaborating with Wolverine in one adventure that pits them against Weapon X. In the other feature, he's pit against Thor with Loki hoping to have the spoils of this war, Asgard. In the first part of our interview, we talked about the Wolverine Vs. feature, this time around we're talking about Hulk Vs. Thor and learning about some of Yost's upcoming comic book projects.

Yost told the PULSE he felt like the work on this DVD was truly amazing. "After we wrote the script, Craig and I looked at each other and said, 'Out of everything we've done, this has a chance to be incredibly special.'. I think it's the purist thing we've done in animation. It was so incredibly true to the character. There was such a high energy about this. I hope everyone who watches will respond to this."

"I think everybody likes to do a project that people will like," he continued. "I think everyone involved in the creation of this DVD really stepped it up, which I'm incredibly happy about. Everyone really brought their A+ game to this feature. Jeff Matsuda did the designs for the Wolverine Vs. Hulk part. He's worked in comics and animation. His take on these characters was perfect. The director of Hulk vs. Thor, Frank Paur, did the designs for that feature. His work had this epic and godly look to them."

What was so amazing about these films was the way so much information was conveyed in just a short amount of time. The introduction of Thor laid the groundwork for just about everything anyone needed to know for the basics of Asgard and the hierarchy. Yost said it was a bit challenging conveying so much information in so little time. "It was tough," he admitted. "It was also a little harder with Thor, because a lot of people don't know Thor. You had to introduce his entire world and cast of characters, then get into the story. The stories were so short we had to find the most economical way possible to do just that. Every line of dialogue had to not only more the story along, but also reveal a lot of information. It's very tricky. If we did our job right, hopefully it all came across in the final product."

Just as the Hulk Vs. Wolverine battle featured some of Wolverine's staples like Weapon X, the Hulk Vs. Thor one features some of Thor's allies and foes like Fandral, Hogun and Volstagg, otherwise known as The Warriors Three, Lady Siff and the Enchantress. The tale takes place while Odin is in his winter Odinsleep. Loki transports Bruce Banner to Asgard hoping the Hulk will defeat Thor and enable Loki to become the ruler of this realm. Enchantress separates Banner from Hulk, leaving the now inhuman brute a puppet in Loki's hands.

The Hulk first encounters The Warriors Three. Yost told us why he wanted to pit those adventurers up against the Hulk. "It really had to do with the fact that Thor is one of those characters that people love, but not a lot of people know a lot about," Yost said. "So we wanted to have a great Thor versus Hulk fight, but we also wanted to introduce everyone to Thor, his world and his supporting cast. There are a few good fights in here, but it's easy to get bored with a fight -- no matter how well it's done. So, for this feature we needed more meat to it. I love the fights as much as the next guy, but you need to have something in there to keep viewers interested."

"The other great thing about it was that it was so different from the Wolverine film," Yost continued. "Here we introduced a world of the gods, populated by larger than life characters. The Warriors Three are just a part of the Thor mythos. We wanted as many parts of Thor in there as possible: Lady Siff, Balder, The Enchantress, Hela -- we just went for it. We wanted to really give people a tour of Asgard. I love that world and I wanted to show what I love the most about it in this film. We did our best to try to weave a story in-between the fights."

Yost said it was Craig Kyle and Frank Paur who came up with the idea for this story and decided to set the tale on Asgard. "I just wrote the script," Yost said. "The feeling was if we go to earth, it gets bigger; on Asgard, we haven't really seen this world before. Here Hulk is a fish out of water. It just seemed to be the most interesting setting for our tale. Then you can really see Thor in his element, getting his rear end handed to him. The only thing we didn't really include in this DVD was the origin of the Hulk, but with the recent film and the television series, we weren't worried that too many people wouldn't know how Bruce Banner became the Hulk."

"I think the Thor part of this was my favorite part to write, which surprised me," Yost continued. "I'm an X-Men guy. I love Wolverine. But I think there was just something about working with Thor that got to me. I hope everyone who watches it enjoys it as well."

Along with is work on the Hulk Vs. DVD, Yost is involved in a dozen or so other comics and animated projects. He told The PULSE about his busy schedule. "I'm currently working on these comics: X-Force, X-Force/Cable: Messiah War, X-Men: Worlds Apart, X-Men: Kindbreaker, The Assistant Editor Spectacular, Batman: Battle For the Cowl - Underground, Ender's Game, Killer of Demons, Rampaging Wolverine, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, two unannounced Marvel one-shots and an unannounced DC thing. In animation, I'm working on Wolverine and the X-Men, Iron Man: Armored Adventures and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes."

The Hulk Vs. DVD is available now. You can learn more about it here:
http://lionsgatedvd.com

You can read part one of this interview here:
http://www.comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=534433#Post534433

#535139 - 01/29/09 04:13 PM Re: CHRIS YOST ON WRITING HULK VS. THOR & COMICS [Re: Jennifer M. Contino]
djshalope Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh
really pumped to see this movie. can't wait till it arrives in my mailbox. Yost mentions Jeff Matsuda, who comic fans don't know well enough, IMO. he penciled Wolverine back in the late 90s and did a pretty healthy run on X-Factor too before he got into animation hardcore and did the Jackie Chan Adventures. after that, he became an in-demand character designer (ala Bruce Timm) working on a bunch of great stuff. just knowing that he worked on the Wolvie half of the Hulk Vs. movie give me great confidence.

#535189 - 01/29/09 11:59 PM Re: CHRIS YOST ON WRITING HULK VS. THOR & COMICS [Re: djshalope]
Steve Chung Offline

Loc: San Bruno
Jeff Matsuda also drew the Magneto and the Magnetic Men one-shot during the DC/Marvel Amalgam Event.

Edited by Steve Chung (01/30/09 12:01 AM)

#535201 - 01/30/09 10:04 AM Re: CHRIS YOST ON WRITING HULK VS. THOR & COMICS [Re: Steve Chung]
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
I saw this and thought it was very well done! I think all PULSE readers should check it out. I'm also loving Wolverine & The X-Men.

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse