Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#548220 - 06/16/09 10:52 PM Deviant Art?
Joe Lee Offline

Does anyone have a Deviant Art page, any advice? Is it worth having the full subscription, do you have any recommendations on using it?

#597383 - 05/08/12 03:06 AM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Joe Lee]
Gerald Offline

How did the Deviant Art page go? Is it pretty easy to use?

#597393 - 05/08/12 12:07 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

Yeah, I like it. And the full subscription is pretty cheap if you get the year.

http://gregjolly.deviantart.com/

#597414 - 05/08/12 01:29 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Joe Lee]
MightyQuin Offline

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Hey, lots of new Greg Jolly artwork! Field Guide for Dragon Slayers is obviously going to have abundant well crafted illustrations, which I'd expect, but it also sounds like a pretty darn marketable concept. Best of luck when the book comes out. After publication, will you make the individual drawings available as prints at Deviant Art?

#597416 - 05/08/12 01:47 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: MightyQuin]
Joe Lee Offline

Hey thanks! I hadn't thought about that, sounds like a good idea.

#597431 - 05/09/12 04:22 AM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Joe Lee]
Gerald Offline

That pie mask looks both delicious and gross. You have an awesome page.

I'm reading that page views increase with a premium membership? I'm guessing that having a premium account puts your pieces to the front of searches?

Either way the price is pretty good so I'll get it regardless.

#597440 - 05/09/12 10:25 AM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

Thanks!

And I don't think the premium membership affected page views all that much.

If it did I didn't notice, but page views seem to be directly connected to a few things. Gallery uploads, spread 'em out because each one gets you views from other DA members. Group memberships which also gets you a lot of internal views. But it's just increasing the pageviews of stuff you've already posted, by posting them to group pages. Outside promotion, things like mentions on twitter or someone posts your stuff on their blog with a link back to your DA page. And quantity seems to help to, the more stuff you have the more people come back.

There seems to be two distinct groups there. Pros and kids. People who consider themselves artists, professional, semi-professional, hobbyists, all really good artists, and rest seems to be a pretty large community of "fans." Who are there for fun.

It's like a hotel booking a business conference during Spring Break. So it leads to some really interesting interactions sometimes.

What the premium membership does do, is gives you access to more statistics, which may or may not be useful, but the big difference for me was it gave me a lot more functionality. The free membership has a lot of restrictions and limitations with your page layout.

#597452 - 05/09/12 01:06 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Joe Lee]
Real Hunter, Alll the time. Offline

I have one on there but it's a free one and I only have one image on there. I've had it for like seven years but found the initial set up to be cumbersome.

I guess since I have stacked up quite a bit work in the last few years and maybe since I'm trying to do commissions now I should probably pay a bit more attention to it.

#597455 - 05/09/12 01:57 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]

Joe, if I add a bunch of work to my current deviant art and then decide later to upgrade to a premium membership, will I have any issues with having to re-upload stuff if I want to make my layout more dynamic?

#597472 - 05/09/12 08:54 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
Joe Lee Offline

I did the same thing. I had my free membership for a few years finally decided to try it out and see if it was worth it.

Didn't need to fix anything or fuss around. Just played around with the new stuff.

The whole page is very modular so after you upgrade you just have more options, and more modules to choose from. More options show up in pretty much everywhere. I guess you can get pretty involved, with different skins and other things I haven't really explored too much yet. I'm not sure but I think you get included in the daily deviations on the main page too. The yearly subscription was the only price that seemed like a decent price to me.

#597913 - 05/20/12 03:48 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Joe Lee]

#597996 - 05/25/12 05:25 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]

And I've got an art group going on deviant art. So if you're looking to get feedback or already have an account and want to join up with other like minded artists hit me up with your deviant name.

or if you want privacy you can e-mail me at www. j m hunter at gee mail dot com (all lower cases, one word no spaces)

#598008 - 05/27/12 07:28 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]

Joe Lee has joined the fold!
Whom among you has similar stones?!!!

#598517 - 06/16/12 03:01 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
I found Hunter's DA page. Can I get links or page names for others?

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#598530 - 06/16/12 08:42 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Ted Kilvington]
MightyQuin Offline

I've got a page, haven't really done anything with it, but that could change: http://edquinby.deviantart.com/gallery/

Are you thinking of going Deviant, Ted? I mean getting an account? While they have definite limitations and fall way short of an actual online store, my DeviantArt page has been handy when publishers pose the question 'where can I see your work online?' Not as good as a personal website, but so easy!

#598531 - 06/16/12 09:09 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: MightyQuin]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
Me do art? No. Last time I tried to draw something was in the Carter Administration.

I was just curious about the talent we have here. One of my old school chums has a DA account under the name "norvandell", plus my daughter posted several of her anime-style drawings there.

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#598543 - 06/17/12 09:42 AM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: MightyQuin]

Originally Posted By: MightyQuin
I've got a page, haven't really done anything with it, but that could change: http://edquinby.deviantart.com/gallery/

Are you thinking of going Deviant, Ted? I mean getting an account? While they have definite limitations and fall way short of an actual online store, my DeviantArt page has been handy when publishers pose the question 'where can I see your work online?' Not as good as a personal website, but so easy!

Ed, I sent you an invite to my Angry Artists art group. We pretty much are doing what we used to do here and to get feedback. Joe Lee is apart of the group though he hasn't been active lately and some other Ego Comics Presents alumni like MrCynic1776, Batfan, and Neb one of the editors from ECP. So join in!

#598547 - 06/17/12 11:10 AM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
MightyQuin Offline

I'll definitely come by for a visit. These days I have more on my plate than I can handle, not that I'm making much though. Maybe I'm not angry enough?!
More importantly, Happy Fathers Day to Ted and Hunter and the other Comicon Dads, gentlemen, you rock!

#598548 - 06/17/12 11:18 AM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Real Hunter, Alll the time.
Joe Lee is apart of the group though he hasn't been active lately...
WTF? The group is only three weeks old how could I possibly be inactive?!?!

Christ Hunter, you only have four pieces in your whole gallery.
Shut the fuck up. I'm working, I'm working. smile

Ed, I added you to my watch list! Beautiful work sir.

My page:

#598552 - 06/17/12 11:32 AM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Joe Lee]

Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
Originally Posted By: Real Hunter, Alll the time.
Joe Lee is apart of the group though he hasn't been active lately...
WTF? The group is only three weeks old how could I possibly be inactive?!?!

Christ Hunter, you only have four pieces in your whole gallery.
Shut the fuck up. I'm working, I'm working. smile

Ed, I added you to my watch list! Beautiful work sir.

My page:

Hahha, I thought that'd get a rise out of you J.Lee, heh. To clarify "inactive" as far as the group participation goes thus far.

I figured you were busy with "real work".

And to both you and Ed.....the idea of the group is to share/give feedback of the work you're already doing. Your own stuff. So having a full plate is actually a good thing as if you're wanting anyone to look at what you're up to the group there exists.

And yes I have a minimal amount of piece on my own as I've been coordinating everything else with the members, new websites, moving to Illinois this week and the sudden passing of my grandfather.

So anyways, it's there, if you guys want to use it.

Thanks Ed and a happy fathers or artist's day to the rest of you fine "gentlemen" here on commie.

#598587 - 06/18/12 02:22 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
MightyQuin Offline

Greg, I mean this seriously, your projected 'Field Guide for Dragon-Slayers' would also make a great coloring book for kids with fairly advanced skills and interests. Could it be both? Not to mention that means cost saving b&w interiors!

#598589 - 06/18/12 02:31 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: MightyQuin]
Joe Lee Offline

Hey, cool idea.

We were planning on B&W interior but hadn't thought about a coloring book. Much of the interior art is way too detailed. Most are pencil drawings as well. But I think it's a great idea I 'll bring it up at the next meeting as a possible follow-up project, we could reuse many of the same pieces, but converted to more simplified versions.

#598609 - 06/18/12 07:02 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Joe Lee]
MightyQuin Offline

Sounds like a dragon book is in your near future, congratulations!

#598614 - 06/19/12 08:13 AM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: MightyQuin]
Joe Lee Offline

It's going to be in my future for a while, still quite a lot to do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley