Topic Options
#564086 - 01/10/10 05:01 PM Steve Rude's THE MOTH
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
I just finished a trade collection of Steve Rude's THE MOTH, collecting the first four or five stories from Dark Horse from a few years ago.

It was fun! Great art, of course, as you would expect from Steve Rude. The stories were old-fashioned comics goodness. It's not really a superhero title, although the lead character does wear a silly costume. It's more of an action/adventure title, enjoyable for all ages.

Whatever happened to THE MOTH? Did it continue? Is it still being published?

I found this copy for five bucks at a used bookstore and snapped it up, so I dunno anything else about the history of the series. I dimly recall Steve and his wife posting here at Comicon to say that Steve is suffering some serious health issues right now, so his production ability is limited.

#564087 - 01/10/10 06:55 PM Re: Steve Rude's THE MOTH [Re: Lawson]
Steve Price Offline

The Dude's website suggests that he's currently concentrating on gallery work.
http://www.steverude.com/wp2/about/

#564088 - 01/10/10 07:14 PM Re: Steve Rude's THE MOTH [Re: Steve Price]
RANDY Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
As I understand it the Dude was going to do another Moth mini-series after he wrapped up the Nexus: Space Opera mini but those plans were scrapped due to all the logistical and financial problems that beset his publishing company. This is a real shame because I'm a longtime fan of Steve's work and I would have liked to have seen him succeed at running his own company. Lawson, to answer your question, all of the Moth stories to date are collected in the TBP. In any case I hope that the Dude is finding tons of success doing portrait and gallery work.

#564090 - 01/10/10 07:50 PM Re: Steve Rude's THE MOTH [Re: RANDY]
Lawson Offline

Thanks, Randy. Too bad about THE MOTH going into permanent limbo after such a short stint.

I'm a fan of Steve Rude's artwork. To my regret, I never really noticed NEXUS until the series was far along into its run. Once in a great while, I would pick up the occasional issue, but I wouldn't understand what the heck was going on, because by that point, it was on issue no. 54 or 70 or whatever. The only good reprint books I've seen are fancy hardcovers that retail for $50 each. Too rich for my blood!

#564105 - 01/11/10 01:42 PM Re: Steve Rude's THE MOTH [Re: Lawson]
Steve Price Offline

There were 2 Dark Horse paperback volumes (Nexus: Book I, Nexus: Book II) collecting the early color issues, although not the original 3 b/w Capital issues. If I recall correctly, the print quality was on par with that of the original comics.

They aren't available through DH anymore, but there are moderately priced copies listed here:
http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Book-1-Collections/dp/187857454X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

#564114 - 01/11/10 10:01 PM Re: Steve Rude's THE MOTH [Re: RANDY]
Mr. Breeze Offline

Loc: the icy tundra of ohio
Originally Posted By: RANDY
As I understand it the Dude was going to do another Moth mini-series after he wrapped up the Nexus: Space Opera mini but those plans were scrapped due to all the logistical and financial problems that beset his publishing company. This is a real shame because I'm a longtime fan of Steve's work and I would have liked to have seen him succeed at running his own company. Lawson, to answer your question, all of the Moth stories to date are collected in the TBP. In any case I hope that the Dude is finding tons of success doing portrait and gallery work.

Man I was really looking forward to Rude's new Moth series.

I'm sure he could publish it under Dark Horse again.

#564120 - 01/12/10 09:32 AM Re: Steve Rude's THE MOTH [Re: Mr. Breeze]
Joe Lee Offline

I would love to see Dark Horse work out some kind of deal with Rude, for Nexus and the Moth like Mignola has with Hellboy.

Do covers and/or as little or as much work as you can/want for the interiors. Creative control/approval. Frequent mini-series. Trades. Get the characters in circulation again.

#564137 - 01/12/10 06:24 PM Re: Steve Rude's THE MOTH [Re: Steve Price]
Lawson Offline

Originally Posted By: Steve Price
They aren't available through DH anymore, but there are moderately priced copies listed here:
http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Book-1-Collections/dp/187857454X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Thanks, Steve. I might pick one of those up.

The hardcover books sell for $40, even used, but these are reasonably priced.

#564140 - 01/12/10 07:07 PM Re: Steve Rude's THE MOTH [Re: Lawson]
Steve Price Offline

You're welcome, Lawson. I hope you enjoy the ride. Almost unthinkably, Steve Rude put up (a few, not all) original pages from the very first issue of Nexus for sale on his website this evening. Unsurprisingly, there are now only two left: http://www.steverudeart.com/Comic_Pages_s/411.htm

There's also this.

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley