Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#572221 - 05/25/10 11:48 AM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Dan Carroll]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
This is like watching a debate among Talmudic scholars.

#572222 - 05/25/10 11:51 AM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Lawson]
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I'm surprised superhero fans would have any trouble with the premise, actually. Plane crashes. Survivors get fucked with by magic guy who has magic powers. Because magic guy wants one of them to take over for him.

Also: polar bears and time travel.

#572223 - 05/25/10 12:07 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Dan Carroll]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Originally Posted By: Dan Carroll
I'm surprised superhero fans would have any trouble with the premise, actually.

I don't watch much television anymore because I just don't have the time. So a weekly serial program that went on for so many years wasn't going to be my thing, regardless. I considered tuning in for an episode during the second season, but by then, I was told, it was far, far, far too late to join the story in progress.

#572230 - 05/25/10 01:54 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Lawson]
Dan Carroll Offline

Yeah, it's not one to watch if you don't want to start from word one.

Either way, I'm going to miss those Lost comics far more than I will the show.

http://twitpic.com/1p13ng

#572242 - 05/25/10 07:32 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Lawson
[quote=Dan Carroll]I considered tuning in for an episode during the second season, but by then, I was told, it was far, far, far too late to join the story in progress.

And yet, the finale showed that all the stuff new viewers supposedly couldn't keep track of was mostly BS that was just there to fill up space during the episodes.

Mike

#572243 - 05/25/10 07:57 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: MBunge]
Allen Montgomery Offline

I'm surprised superhero fans would have any trouble with the premise, actually.

I don't have a problem with the premise. I have a problem with the soap operatic format's lack of interest in and adherence to the premise. I wanted to see a story about people surviving on an island, sort of a more serious version of Gilligan's Island. Instead I got a bunch of pointless flashbacks and "mysterious" mumbo-jumbo that was never answered. It really was the equivalent of the "Who shot JR?" episode of Dallas, but every episode. When a character stands there for five minutes and says, "I don't understand...," while another character or characters is smiling graciously, the writers don't have a fucking clue what they're doing.

I've been asking around to see how people reacted to the finale. Turns out, I don't know anybody who watched Lost. Some said their girlfriends, wives or daughters did, though. Very strange.

#572245 - 05/25/10 08:29 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
I wanted to see a story about people surviving on an island, sort of a more serious version of Gilligan's Island. Instead I got a bunch of pointless flashbacks and "mysterious" mumbo-jumbo that was never answered.

Okay, so it wasn't what you were expecting, but how is that the show's fault? Lots of stories appear to be one thing starting out and then upend our expectations as we get deeper into them.

Your other complaints about the quality may still hold, but I'm sure fans of the show would say you didn't give it enough of a chance. Not that you are obliged to do so, of course. If it's not for you, then no reason for you to waste time on it. But you're not really in a good position to tell all the fans that they were wrong, after they got years of enjoyment out of it.

#572255 - 05/25/10 09:40 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Dan Carroll Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
I wanted to see a story about people surviving on an island, sort of a more serious version of Gilligan's Island.

I would have liked to see a show about Evangeline Lilly and Emilie de Ravin stranded on a desert island, and deciding to pass the time with lots of sex.

The writers didn't tailor the premise of the show specifically to me either. But, we make the best of life with what we have.

Quote:
I've been asking around to see how people reacted to the finale. Turns out, I don't know anybody who watched Lost. Some said their girlfriends, wives or daughters did, though. Very strange.

Not really surprising. For every attractive woman on that show, there's about three or four insanely handsome men.

#572266 - 05/25/10 11:38 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz
But you're not really in a good position to tell all the fans that they were wrong, after they got years of enjoyment out of it.

Ever since the switch to digital over-the-air signal, I don't even have a functioning television in my house. The only things I watched before that were SNL, the Sunday morning talk shows and 60 Minutes. There really isn't anything on TV worth watching. That millions of people still do says quite a lot. And none of it nice.

#572267 - 05/25/10 11:39 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Dan Carroll]
Allen Montgomery Offline

For every attractive woman on that show, there's about three or four insanely handsome men.

Which goes back to my earlier question about how they maintain themselves in such an environment.

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley