Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#565615 - 02/09/10 02:24 AM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery

Just explain to me how these people don't lose weight (the women don't lose their breasts), the women keep their hair and makeup hot, and the men all keep that Don Johnson stubble thing going.
Well, it's only a 100 days "roughing it" on the beach and a food source is established. Then there's a 3 year jump. To explain all of this would take a really long post.

#565623 - 02/09/10 10:44 AM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Charles Reece]
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Originally Posted By: Charles Reece
That he puts those who follow his word in questionable circumstances adds a bit more depth to the name, don't you think?

A bit more. But not much more than naming the faith-and-destiny character John Locke, or loading up crucifixion imagery on a muslim character. At a certain point, the irony blurs.

Quote:
That's an interesting take, but I don't quite agree. Kate, Sun, Jin?

Kate could go either way, and I'll be especially interested to see where the parallel airplane-Kate goes. But at least lately, her main character hasn't had much to do except look disapprovingly at Jack, and yell about Aaron.

Like I say above, I adore Sun and Jin. But I worry that their sixth season plot (at least for Island-Sun-and-Jin) will boil down to either stock joyous reunion or stock ironically tragic reunion. Jin especially didn't do much in season 5 except learn English so he could occasionally say, "What's going on, LaFleur?"

Of course the show might prove me wrong; it has before. And it certainly wouldn't be the first time they made a character unimportant for a while so it'll be a big deal when they're suddenly, surprisingly important again.

Quote:
The show covers a good deal of issues particularizing them to characters than just faith vs. reason. Faraday, Desmond and the two god-types cover free will vs. determinism, for example.

Sure, faith and reason isn't the only thing the show has going for it. But it does love its manichean battles, and free will vs. determinism would certainly fall under that category.

(I should note: I don't know why I'm arguing against the intelligence of the show, except maybe for conversation. I really do like it!)

#565624 - 02/09/10 11:00 AM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: RANDY]
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Originally Posted By: RANDY
Actually it's easy to remember since it's the same night that the "pilot" episode aired and that the plane crashed on the "island". At least according to the series continuity.

Watching the pilot actually loses a little of the punch it had when it first aired. If I remember right, it was the first post-9/11 media that not only didn't treat airplane crashes like a cultural third rail, but actually went out of its way to devote a good chunk of screen time to the aftermath of the crash.

When my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I watched it at the time, I remember it striking me enough that I said something like, "Wow, I, uh... guess we're doing plane crashes on TV again, huh?" Rewatching it recently, it was noticeably tamer than I remember it being.

#565632 - 02/09/10 01:08 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Charles Reece]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Charles Reece
Well, it's only a 100 days "roughing it" on the beach and a food source is established.

Ted Nugent went only 30 days without bathing and the draft review board deferred him from going to Vietnam. He was apparently so nasty that no one wanted to give him a physical.

#565670 - 02/09/10 11:10 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Charles Reece Offline

The Nuge was a draft-dodger? Ha, he doesn't bring that up on his radio show, I bet.

#565673 - 02/09/10 11:43 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Charles Reece]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Quote: "He claims that 30 days before his Draft Board Physical, he stopped all forms of personal hygiene. The last 10 days he ingested nothing but junk food and Pepsi, and a week before his physical, he stopped using the bathroom altogether, virtually living inside his pants caked with excrement and urine. That spectacle won Nugent a deferment."

Link

Quote: "Nugent has partially retracted that statement. He claims in the July 2009 issue of Texas Monthly that he did begin soiling himself a week before the physical, but he does admit to using a student deferment to stay out of Vietnam. He now claims to be "embarrassed" by his actions, and has been putting in a lot of volunteer work with the USO since 2003 to try to make up for that."

http://www.texasmonthly.com/preview/2009-07-01/feature

#565674 - 02/09/10 11:51 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
HouseOfMisterE Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
The Nuge' is an honest-to-goodness poopy pants Patriot!

Edited by HouseOfMisterE (02/09/10 11:51 PM)

#565682 - 02/10/10 11:23 AM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: HouseOfMisterE]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Funny story about the motorcity madman,Allen. It's surprising that such an extreme hunting and guns advocate didn't want a chance at 'the most dangerous prey'.
As for this thread's titular question,yeah,I'm still watching! Even a slightly mediocre episode like last night's is still head and shoulders above just about all other tv fare. I can't think of another series as rewarding or that could support analysis to the level Charles applies in his blog. Although we may have all jumped the gun concerning Sayid as Jacob's new vehicle. 'Claimed',huh. Obviously,the term reiterates the chess analogy used by the two demigods in their discussion on the beach,if I'm remembering right anyway. I'm hoping,and pretty sure,this season won't come down to the chosen of Jacob vs the chosen of the Nemesis and the ones with better rifles and aim win,but what would constitute a victory besides mere survival? One thing may play out. All the daddy issues so many of the characters are saddled with,I think will be represented somehow on a more cosmic scale in the outcome. Yeah,that's pretty vague,but I'm a vague sort of guy. The writers made a point of the majority of the characters having neglectful,absent,unavailable or even connivingly abusive fathers,I think it will be reflected in the demigods situation and relationship to God or at least their own existence. It does lend itself to a deus ex machina conclusion which might be needed in some aspect,but if used at all,I'm sure Lost'll do it right. Thanks for the thread,Charles,I'm looking forward to your analysis,well, almost as much as the series.

#565683 - 02/10/10 11:45 AM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: MightyQuin]
Charles Reece Offline

Thanks.

Quote:
Although we may have all jumped the gun concerning Sayid as Jacob's new vehicle.

Evidently.

Quote:
I'm hoping,and pretty sure,this season won't come down to the chosen of Jacob vs the chosen of the Nemesis and the ones with better rifles and aim win,but what would constitute a victory besides mere survival?

The 3rd way might be Sawyer's "fuck y'all, I've had enough," which was an extension of Faraday's bomb.

A friend and I both agree that we like what's happening on the island, but find the alt-reality stuff a little too tidy and poorly designed (so far).

#565725 - 02/10/10 04:37 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Charles Reece]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
The alternate reality thing was probably just too tempting to pass up. After a season told chiefly in flashbacks,then a season of flashforwards,they couldn't resist a season of,as someone coined,flashsidewards. Didn't Faraday decide shortly before his mom plugged him that things in the past could be altered after all because people utilizing free will were an uncontrollable variable? It'll be interesting to see what Sawyer will do now that he's lost everything that mattered and owes allegiance to nobody. That is,if he's not saddled with Kate in short order.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley