Topic Options
#585937 - 05/19/11 03:36 PM Blackmark - the first American Graphic Novel
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
I've read Blackmark before when it was in Savage Sword of Conan and in Marvel Preview but now I've finally read it as it was intended in the Fantgraphics edition that I bought a year or so ago.

To be blunt, it's not very good. It is full of terribly flowery prose and worse, the art isn't very good either. Gil Kane's art actually declines in quality as it goes on - I am guessing this is due to it being reproduced from copies of copies - but still not his best work - he certainly wasn't a great inker. An interesting historical item but that's all.

#585940 - 05/19/11 04:45 PM Re: Blackmark - the first American Graphic Novel [Re: shjonescrk]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Four Frightened Women 1950.

#585957 - 05/20/11 10:00 AM Re: Blackmark - the first American Graphic Novel [Re: Allen Montgomery]
shjonescrk Offline

Well, it said the first American Graphic Novel on the cover of the book.

#585979 - 05/20/11 02:35 PM Re: Blackmark - the first American Graphic Novel [Re: shjonescrk]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Although serialized, The Monster Society of Evil story arc from Captain Marvel Adventures (#22-46) was the first graphic novel length story in comics, starting in 1943.

#585980 - 05/20/11 02:36 PM Re: Blackmark - the first American Graphic Novel [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Blackmark 1971.

#585985 - 05/20/11 04:25 PM Re: Blackmark - the first American Graphic Novel [Re: Allen Montgomery]
shjonescrk Offline

I bow to your greater knowledge.

#586000 - 05/21/11 07:11 AM Re: Blackmark - the first American Graphic Novel [Re: shjonescrk]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Eh, I had to look up the exact years and issue numbers.

Greg Theakston put out a new edition of FFW a couple years ago. Not a great story or artwork, but definitely a "DID THEY REALIZE WHAT THEY'D COME UP WITH" experience reading it now.

#601373 - 11/04/12 10:24 PM Re: Blackmark - the first American Graphic Novel [Re: Allen Montgomery]
granfalloon Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I bought it when it came out, in a variety store, on Long Island. At the time, I loved it. I don't think it has aged well. I sold it on ebay a few years ago. There was only one bid on it and I only got a dollar or two for it. At least somebody bought it. I felt that it should have been given more attention by the comic buying community. Really though, by then, I didn't want to own it either.

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley