Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#591143 - 09/26/11 11:43 AM Re: SKETCHES, COMMISSIONS AND OTHER STUFF ON EBAY!!! [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MightyQuin Offline

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
The funny thing is, I have Photoshop 7.0, still pretty prehistoric, ready to go, but I'm just reaching competency on 5.0 and it does what I need it to. Someday I'll graduate to the CS versions, probably when you all shift to 4D holograms.

Those old 'halftone cheats' are interesting! Printing has always been highly competitive with marginal profit lines, so time is money.

#591154 - 09/26/11 12:59 PM Re: SKETCHES, COMMISSIONS AND OTHER STUFF ON EBAY!!! [Re: MightyQuin]
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Loc: oceanside,Ca
I've got adobe cs4 the design suite with about 8 programs and I still don't know dick about it...i'm just not wired that way...trust me I wish I was...also got a bamboo tablet and a large format scanner.
The scanner's the only thing I know how to use.

My forum: http://p207.ezboard.com/fthebullpen28879frm43

and the art blog: http://j-m-hunter.livejournal.com/

#591173 - 09/26/11 04:45 PM Re: SKETCHES, COMMISSIONS AND OTHER STUFF ON EBAY!!! [Re: THE Anti-Hunter]
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Loc: oceanside,Ca
So my question to you guys that do use the bamboo tablet and photoshop..what's your process?

Esp. dealing with the layers? For a newb like myself I'm worried I"m going to lock something in and wont be able to go back and fix it?

Do you do what?

-set up the canvas
-import the line art
-make a layer for inks
-make a layer for tones
-make a seperate layer for color maybe?
-lettering layer
etc?

My forum: http://p207.ezboard.com/fthebullpen28879frm43

and the art blog: http://j-m-hunter.livejournal.com/

#591181 - 09/26/11 06:32 PM Re: SKETCHES, COMMISSIONS AND OTHER STUFF ON EBAY!!! [Re: THE Anti-Hunter]
MightyQuin Offline

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
I bet I have the simplest process here. I have an old graphire tablet that I'm told is very similar to a Bamboo.
-- My line art is inked by hand before I import it. If it has tones, those are mostly by hand as well.
-- Tweak a few things, mostly just clean up specks and grains, although I've begun to draw a little digitally, very little.
-- A new layer set to 'Multiply' for coloring in RGB mode.
-- Lettering makes their own layers. Yeah, I letter in Photoshop!

That's it. I know that most colorists fill the page with white, duplicate the line art and do several more things. I don't doubt for a minute they do those things for good reasons, but this seems to work pretty well for me. Not 'filling with white' allows me to color most things in the 'Behind' mode which also seems pretty easy. I've had my grayscale art printed and it looked fine, but maybe there would be problems with the color work and I'm here to learn!

#591184 - 09/26/11 08:38 PM Re: SKETCHES, COMMISSIONS AND OTHER STUFF ON EBAY!!! [Re: MightyQuin]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

My new process is built around the ability to print tabloid sized.

Start by laying out a page in Illustrator, panel borders and lettering, maybe some rough balloons.

Export that as a bitmap and open it up in Photoshop. Choose a light blue color and run the effect "Gradient Map," which turns all the black lines light blue. Print on standard paper.

Pencil the page like you normally would over the blueline printout. When that's as far as it can go, scan it in. Cut it up in Photoshop scaling, rotating, rearranging, etc. If there's anything else that needs to be put in, draw that on another piece of paper, scan and edit that into the page.

When the pencils are done, edit out the blue and save a flattened image. Place that in Illustrator and finish the lettering. You can either run the Gradient Map again and place a blue version of the pencils in AI and print from there; or delete the bitmap and export the lettering as a bitmap which is made into a layer in PS. Either way, what you should have at this point is the pencils in blue with the lettering and panel borders in black.

Print on bristol. Ink. Scan. Done.

#591191 - 09/27/11 12:44 AM Re: SKETCHES, COMMISSIONS AND OTHER STUFF ON EBAY!!! [Re: MightyQuin]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: MightyQuin

-- Lettering makes their own layers. Yeah, I letter in Photoshop!
Me too.

There is a better way?

#591193 - 09/27/11 01:19 AM Re: SKETCHES, COMMISSIONS AND OTHER STUFF ON EBAY!!! [Re: Joe Lee]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

If you've got a lot of lettering to do, the multiple layers in PS can get very cluttered. Most of the pros letter in AI. The standard used to be (not sure if it still is) the colorist sends in the final raster image, the letterer sends in the separate AI files then some production person (assistant editor, perhaps) composites the two in a page layout program (InDesign, but Quark used to be the grail), and then the whole comic is sent to the printer as a PDF.

The advantages of doing it this way are mainly editorial. Control over inserting advertising and other non-comics pages, obviously. The ability to fix typos or move balloons around. The only qualitative advantage of doing it this way is that the lettering in the PDF output is still in vector form, meaning it will be rendered more crisply (dependent on the printing press, generally 2400dpi+) than the lower-density raster images (~300-600dpi).

One definite DISadvantage of doing it this way is that there is the possibility of the lettering layer getting "nudged" (whether by accident in editorial, or perhaps the printer is experiencing technical difficulties) and the balloons don't sit exactly where they're supposed to. If they were cropped to match up to panel borders, say. I've seen a bunch of Image comics that had this problem.

I don't know that anyone actually letters directly in the page layout programs, but Quark had some nice functions that automatically adjusted the kerning for bolding and italicizing, as well and a really cool "outline" standard option (a fat outline behind fill, automatically spread out the kerning on just that text) along with Bold, Italic, Underline and Strikethrough. Almost like it was meant for lettering comics.

#592089 - 10/14/11 07:35 AM Re: SKETCHES, COMMISSIONS AND OTHER STUFF ON EBAY!!! [Re: Joe Lee]
sketchbooksage Offline

Yeah, ebay is a good place to sell your artwork. I dunno about
selling your art directly on DA but I've had people see my work
on DA and go to my ebay account and buy a commission or a sketch.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley