Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#593697 - 12/01/11 07:09 PM New John Carter trailer...
Joe Lee Offline

New John Carter trailer...

http://disney.go.com/johncarter/#/trailers-videos

The movie looks huge. I've been excited about this movie for a long time, I read all the books as a kid. And already I've been hearing people compare scenes to scenes from some of the Star Wars movies, knowing full well that the Mars books predate the prequel trilogy by ninety years.

That's like thinking the Marx Brothers ripped of Alan Alda. Crazy idiots.

#593701 - 12/01/11 11:35 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
I think it's because of the way they changed the white apes to look like the Harryhausen-type creature from Return of the Jedi. That's what I got from AICN, anyway.

#593702 - 12/02/11 12:07 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Yeah, no matter when the source material came out, there's no way the movie will not be influenced by Lucas.

#593706 - 12/02/11 04:47 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

I got excited when I heard, way back when, that Robert Rodriguez was going to do A Princess of Mars film.

Seeing the trailer for Disney's version is a letdown. The title is extremely generic sounding, Mars looks like the American southwest, and the aliens look too cartoony IMO.

Princess Leia in ROTJ looks more Deja Thoris than Deja Thoris here.

Hope it's good for the Barsoom fans though.

#593711 - 12/02/11 11:08 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
It looks like it won't suck, but...

1. The Tharks look awfully skinny.

2. Is JC really sporting a Civil War appropriate haircut?

3. Way, way, waaaaay too many clothes on Dejah Thoris.

Mike

#593714 - 12/02/11 11:17 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: MBunge]
Joe Lee Offline

I was thinking the same thing about Deja Thoris, I mean, I didn't expect the Martians to be naked through the whole movie, or even close, but yeah, everyone seems way to heavily clothed. Maybe it's different through the whole film. Depending on the scene, I'm sure Carrie Fisher wouldn't have worn a metal bikini for a whole SW trilogy, (But who knows, Lucas keeps making changes).

But the tharks and Carter's hair seemed ok to me. They don't look like they have less muscles than the red martians or humans, it's maybe it's the height, that creates an odd perception that they are skinny. They don't look much different than they were portrayed by Michael Whelan, on the series I read, and John Carter's hair seems long too...

#593715 - 12/02/11 11:17 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: MBunge]
Joe Lee Offline

Another interesting portrayal, a 1970's cover that portrays the green Martians similar to the new movie, but Deja Thoris is pale but nearly naked...

#593716 - 12/02/11 11:23 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Joe Lee Offline

It could be a lot worse...

#593717 - 12/03/11 12:25 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Charles Reece
I think it's because of the way they changed the white apes to look like the Harryhausen-type creature from Return of the Jedi. That's what I got from AICN, anyway.
The apes have looked worse...

Did Lucas ever get crap for ripping off Harryhausen? I remember getting one of those "making of" books after the original SW came out where they went page to page showing how almost every scene was "inspired" by classic sci-fi and fantasy novels like Princess of Mars, LOTR and Dune, world war II aerial battles and films like Scaramouche and Akira Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress" there were shots from a Johnny Weismuller Tarzan film, Tarzan and Jane about to swing on a vine, next to a shot of Luke and Leia about to do the same but with that dental floss Luke brought to the Death Star.

Ever see this, this guy worked out a chart where he explains how Lucas got everything from the Force to Jabba the Hutt from Dune...

http://moongadget.com/origins/dune.html

#593718 - 12/03/11 12:39 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Joe Lee Offline

#593734 - 12/03/11 06:59 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
The apes have looked worse...

That's nothing compared to what Kane did to the Giger Alien once...

Did Lucas ever get crap for ripping off [everything] ?

The first Star Wars was *intended* as an homage to many things, and was not meant to be the clay feet of a monster franchise.

#593735 - 12/03/11 07:07 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Gerald Offline

That IS a nice cover. It's a variant for the dynamite series right?

I flipped through Warlord of Mars and Deja Thoris and the art is solid, kinda like Frank Cho's style, but overall it seems kinda boring.
I think I'll just try reading the originals.

Just checked out the newer trailer. Looks a little better. There's some scenes where Deja Thoris looks regal, pretty close to the comics.

my favorite cover.

#593736 - 12/03/11 10:40 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Gerald]

Put on a long skirt and cover those chicken legs, JC!

#593739 - 12/03/11 11:27 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Charles Reece Offline

I was curious about Kane's Alien screw-up:

Click here and scroll down for the story. Kane thought they wanted an alien, not the Alien.

#593748 - 12/03/11 10:32 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]

The story doesn't mention that Nowlan initially refused to re-draw half of the cover until Dunbier offered to pay Nowlan double what he would have been paid to do the entire cover.

#593763 - 12/04/11 05:28 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

The inked cover doesn't translate Kane's faces very well. I have an Alan Moore issue that he did and it wasn't very good. Backgrounds were not existant in some of the stories. However, he was probably really old, so it was still pretty good considering. His western stuff from the same period was excellent though.

#593766 - 12/04/11 05:51 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Gerald]

Kane's best individual works, IMO, are that final Superman thing he did (which was also John Buscema's last work, I believe) inked by Nowlan, and the Sword of the Atom annual.

#593774 - 12/04/11 10:17 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Did Lucas ever get crap for ripping off [everything] ?

The first Star Wars was *intended* as an homage to many things, and was not meant to be the clay feet of a monster franchise.

I'm not sure why you edited and then took my question out of the context, but my understanding was Lucas couldn't secure the rights to Flash Gordon, and we have that to thank for Star Wars, at least partially. And a cautionary tale to any "creator" who wants to revive a franchise rather than create his or her own. Would the world be better off with yet another version of Flash Gordon or were we better off with Star Wars?

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but come on, there is so much "homage" going on it's really hard to take it as homage. Sure, there are little bits of homage, that could easily be just homage, if not for the fact that there is nothing else but bigger and bigger collections of homages, and that's if you believe borrowing whole plotlines from Scaramouche and Akira Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress" and it's all wrapped up into one huge collections of "homages" to LOTR and DUNE. Not to say LOTR is without it's inspirational sources, but Star Wars, as much fun as it is, is nothing but the sum of other stories parts.

Check out this guys LOTR/SW chart...
http://moongadget.com/origins/lotr.html

Here's the Dune/SW chart again...

#593775 - 12/04/11 10:51 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Gerald
I think I'll just try reading the originals.
If your looking for a nice new edition, I got one a little while back. It's a nifty illustrated edition, with the first three novels. "John Carter of Mars: A Princess of Mars, The Gods of Mars, The Warlord of Mars" hardcover, from Library of Wonder. Some really great illustrations by Thomas Yeates.

Just checked out the newer trailer. Looks a little better. There's some scenes where Deja Thoris looks regal, pretty close to the comics.
I was never happy with any of the comics. Even the newer ones. They just never seemed to capture the feel or look all that well. Maybe it was just me, or something about the original novels, but I loved Conan and Tarzan comics well enough, they seemed to translate into comics pretty well. Maybe I had higher expectations for the John Carter stuff, for some odd reason.

my favorite cover.
Where was that from, the old pulp magazines? Or a paperback edition?

#593776 - 12/04/11 10:56 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Star Wars, as much fun as it is, is nothing but the sum of other stories parts.

I can't seem to remember... how many issues did the Marvel Comics version of Scaramouche run?

#593777 - 12/04/11 11:14 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Star Wars, as much fun as it is, is nothing but the sum of other stories parts.

I can't seem to remember... how many issues did the Marvel Comics version of Scaramouche run?
You might want to look up the word "relevance"

Which sold more comics, or licensing revenue in general even, isn't relevant to a discussion of what is or isn't homage. The question here is whether or not the borrowed material in Star Wars is, just a tip of the hat to it's various sources, or because of the sheer volume and scope of the material that it borrows from, is SW just a derivative film without any substance of it's own. I think it's somewhere in the middle.

I don't see how which sold more comics, Star Wars or Scaramouche, is relevant to any of this.

#593778 - 12/04/11 11:38 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Charles Reece Offline

I met Gil Kane at a Dallas Con when I was a wee lad. No one was in his line (philistines), so I was able to just walk up to him, chat, and have him sign a Spidey comic in a very casual manner. He was the nicest pro I ever met at a con.

#593780 - 12/04/11 11:45 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]
Charles Reece Offline

As for the originality of Star Wars, watching Hidden Fortress isn't any where near the same experience. Nor is watching or reading any of its other sources. There is a point where you borrow from so many places that it's no longer a mere summation. SW certainly isn't the most sophisticated of films, nor the most innovative, nor even particularly well written, but even after all the films I've seen, there's none that quite works in the same way. It does its own thing.

#593784 - 12/05/11 12:23 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]
Joe Lee Offline

As for the originality of Star Wars, watching Hidden Fortress isn't any where near the same experience. Nor is watching or reading any of its other sources. There is a point where you borrow from so many places that it's no longer a mere summation.
I would agree with you here except for the summation. The individual parts are so obviously and carefully preserved, but it's the quality of Lucas' presentation that makes SW all work together despite the disparate ideas, and parts.

SW certainly isn't the most sophisticated of films, nor the most innovative, nor even particularly well written, but even after all the films I've seen, there's none that quite works in the same way. It does its own thing.
I'll have to disagree with you there, if only a little. I think where SW becomes it's own thing is in the craftsmanship, the writing and presentation. I think it's blatantly derivative, but I give it credit for being better written. Like the difference between a good and bad collage art, when I watch SW I now see the various parts from all the pieces, (now that I've read or seen them}, but it's served up so well I still love it. That's in part a credit to Lucas' writing. Lucas doesn't bother to write it well enough to disguise it's sources but he writes it well enough to do it better than it had been done before, and write it better, by selecting the bits better, weaving them together to hit the right beats. Maybe packages it better too, visually, compositionally, pacing and fx. All better than the source materials he borrows from.

They tried a similar thing with Independence Day and Silverado, take all the best scenes from movies out a particular genre, and mash them together. Lucas obviously did a much better job. He went to many genres and mediums and was much better at selecting and presentation.

Has Lucas ever admitted to reading Joseph Campbell?

#593785 - 12/05/11 01:04 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Which sold more comics, or licensing revenue in general even, isn't relevant to a discussion of what is or isn't homage.

Make up your mind what we're talking about. You said SW was *NOTHING BUT* the sum of other stories' parts. And that's bullshit. Somehow, many other creators have managed to build further upon it, but one example being the Marvel Comics SW series. So you are obviously wrong.

#593788 - 12/05/11 01:37 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Make up your mind what we're talking about. You said SW was *NOTHING BUT* the sum of other stories' parts. And that's bullshit. Somehow, many other creators have managed to build further upon it, but one example being the Marvel Comics SW series. So you are obviously wrong.
No. We were talking about SW being derivative or not. You make up your mind whether you want to discuss this or just argue with me, by picking any nit to do it.

And could you fix the HTML in your above post.

#593792 - 12/05/11 02:43 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Gerald Offline

@Joe Lee

Thanks for the recommendation on that book. Just checked out the artists...wow! I'm buying that book. The art is just the right mix of old school pulp and exotic sci-fi.

It's too bad about the Dynamite books. I wanted to buy the Deja Thoris issues, just on the covers alone, but they're really squandering the imaginative potential of the property, IMO. The Ray Bradbury Comics had much better portrayals of Mars.

The illustration I think was for the first edition because it was on amazon awhile back for like $1,000, and there's an audio edition that uses the same cover.

#593796 - 12/05/11 03:03 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

Apparently "Mars" has some sort of stigma attached to it...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/05/a...st-john-carter/

The director changed the title from "Princess of Mars" because he felt the word "Princess" would chase all the boys away, and he changed it from "John Carter of Mars" because he felt the word "Mars" would chase all the girls away.

Over-thinking this a wee little? Does he honestly think people won't know it's some kind of action, adventure, sci-fi film until they've already bought a ticket? Or was he actually afraid people would see the trailer and get confused that the title said "princess" but the hero was a guy?

#593799 - 12/05/11 03:15 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

It's too bad about the Dynamite books. I wanted to buy the Deja Thoris issues, just on the covers alone, but they're really squandering the imaginative potential of the property, IMO.
I saw Marvel has an officially licensed comic too, I didn't like the cover. It seemed really just too cartoony. What's with Dynamite doing unlicensed Edgar Rice Burroughs comics? I read they were doing an unlicensed Tarzan comic too. I can't imagine the ERB estate is very happy with them.

Edited by Joe Lee (12/05/11 03:20 AM)
Edit Reason: found cover pic online

#593801 - 12/05/11 03:52 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

The illustration I think was for the first edition because it was on amazon awhile back for like $1,000, and there's an audio edition that uses the same cover.
Very cool.

Have you seen it with the magazine or book graphics. The only ones I could find were several variations on a dust jacket so my guess is you're probably right it was the first edition book cover, and several subsequent ones as well.

I did find some fun covers from early All Story magazines from the later mars novels, but none for Princess of Mars or "Under the Moons of Mars" the original title (just found that out tonight while hunting around).

Edited by Joe Lee (12/05/11 03:59 AM)

#593802 - 12/05/11 03:55 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Gerald Offline

So...is the Mars storyline public domain? What does it mean they're doing...

Okay wiki'd it. So the author failed to get copyright for the early stories, but his estate owns the name John Carter, which is why Dynamite has WARLORD OF MARS instead of the other titles.

@Mars name change.

A Princess of Mars is the BEST title for a movie based on the ERB stories. I also heard it's because the studio execs saw that most movies with "Mars" in the title don't do well, box office-wise.

Maybe an animated John Carter of Mars would be better. Too bad they couldn't have come out with one during the 30s/40s. I can only imagine how cool it would have been to see A Princess of Mars done in the Fleischer Superman style.

Edited by Gerald (12/05/11 03:58 AM)

#593803 - 12/05/11 04:02 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

So...is the Mars storyline public domain? What does it mean they're doing...

Okay wiki'd it. So the author failed to get copyright for the early stories, but his estate owns the name John Carter, which is why Dynamite has WARLORD OF MARS instead of the other titles.
Probably a similar reason as to why the Dynamite Tarzan comic is called "Lord of he Jungle"

#593804 - 12/05/11 04:10 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

Maybe an animated John Carter of Mars would be better. Too bad they couldn't have come out with one during the 30s/40s. I can only imagine how cool it would have been to see A Princess of Mars done in the Fleischer Superman style.
Or would it have been more like Snow White? Still cool. What a different world this would have been if they would have done Princess of Mars instead of Snow White? We would probably never had all those crappy Tarzan movies.

When I first heard Disney/Pixar, was doing this i remember thinking it was to be all CGI animated. I gotta say I'm a little disappointed it's not. I was imagining something like a cross between Clone Wars, Robots and Ice Age 4

#593805 - 12/05/11 04:29 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

I also heard it's because the studio execs saw that most movies with "Mars" in the title don't do well, box office-wise.
Y'know I can't think of any recent movies that had Mars in the Title. Except "Mars Attacks."

Total Recall, Capricorn One, Angry Red Planet, Doom, were on Mars right. Well, Capricorn One, was about a "Mars Trip"

Found a list online, and the most recent ones were, My Favorite Martian, and Mars Needs Moms. I don't recall them even being in the theater, let alone seeing them. Who compiles all this info?

#593807 - 12/05/11 04:39 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Gerald Offline

Mars needs Moms was in theaters. It cost 150 Million to make and only made 39 Mil.

Dark Knight was a blockbuster and studio execs started saying "dark" is the way to go with Superman. Then Watchmen tanked and they said, "okay, not TOO dark." So it wouldn't surprise me if it was both reasons.

I think Sophia Vergara back in the day would have made a good Dejah Thoris.

#593815 - 12/05/11 11:11 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

We were talking about SW being derivative or not.

You asked if Lucas had "taken crap" for lifting from others. The answer is YES, Lucas has taken crap for lifting from others. You're still dishing it out here. Nothing to discuss.

The discussion is whether or not SW was "nothing but the sum of other stories' parts." Clearly, it was much more than that. Ergo, you are wrong.

#593817 - 12/05/11 11:37 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

We were talking about SW being derivative or not.

You asked if Lucas had "taken crap" for lifting from others. The answer is YES, Lucas has taken crap for lifting from others. You're still dishing it out here. Nothing to discuss.

The discussion is whether or not SW was "nothing but the sum of other stories' parts." Clearly, it was much more than that. Ergo, you are wrong.

I'm talking about my personal experience in watching SW, after having read and seen most of the materials Lucas borrowed from, when I watch SW now I see the different parts. Distinctly. To me, in my opinion, YOU MAY SEE IT DIFFERENTLY, but to me, as much fun as it is, SW is derivative to the point of being a collection of other story's parts. Your mileage may vary.

You asked me...

I'm not disputing the fact that Star Wars has had more comic books made from it than Scaramouche. And you know that, It's had more comics made from it than pretty much all the source materials combined I would guess. And I'm not saying it hasn't been a financial success. Scaramouche, Hidden Fortress, Dune, Lord of the Rings, Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan and Barsoom novels, and all of the other little homages, combined they might be getting close to SW money, if we adjust for inflation. Maybe not. Either way, I don't see how it's relevant.

#593818 - 12/05/11 12:49 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

I'm talking about my personal experience in watching SW

I could accept this statement from Pauline Kael, who had probably seen all of Lucas' source material when SW came out. But from someone who was a ten-year-old boy at the time? It's posturing bullshit.

as much fun as it is, SW is derivative to the point of being a collection of other story's parts.

Yes, SW lifts from other sources. But is it "NOTHING BUT" that? You'll need to present a pastiche edited from all of the sources into one film, matched up to SW, for your claim to even be considered.

I'm not saying it hasn't been a financial success.

And I'm not talking about the money. I'm saying SW is more than just the sum of its influences. Otherwise, more subsequent creators would simply go back to the originals.

#593819 - 12/05/11 01:26 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

I could accept this statement from Pauline Kael, who had probably seen all of Lucas' source material when SW came out. But from someone who was a ten-year-old boy at the time? It's posturing bullshit.
I never said I saw the source material BEFORE Star Wars came out. I've had thirty years to see it since.

You edited out the part of the sentence that reads, "...after having read and seen most of the materials Lucas borrowed from, when I watch SW now I see the different parts." Read it slowly, maybe that will help, "when I watch SW now" today, after having read and seen most of the materials Lucas borrowed from, NOT WHEN IT WAS RELEASED.

Yes, SW lifts from other sources.
How is "Lifts" more accurate? Fine, He "lifted" so much stuff that it's hard for me to not see the "lifted" material now, today, these many years later after having many years to see and read the original sources.

But is it "NOTHING BUT" that?
Again, I was just talking about the story. I never meant to imply it didn't have an impact on society, or in any other way. Just talking within the context of the storytelling itself. Create all the straw men you want.

You'll need to present a pastiche edited from all of the sources into one film, matched up to SW, for your claim to even be considered.
"Considered" by who? You? All opinions must be approved by you before consideration?

Edited by Joe Lee (12/05/11 01:34 PM)

#593821 - 12/05/11 04:27 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

I never said I saw the source material BEFORE Star Wars came out. I've had thirty years to see it since.

As well as the sequels, all the spin-offs, fanfic, subsequent rip-offs of the rip-off, the over-arching social impact of the SW mythos, etc. And yet you find within yourself more allegiance to Scaramouche and the Hidden Fortress. Mmmm-kay.

Again, I was just talking about the story.

Again, present the entire film and split-screen the corresponding lifted sequences to present your case. By stating that SW was "NOTHING BUT the sum of other stories' parts" means the entirety of its run time consists of only recreated/stolen elements. I'm saying this is not true.

Create all the straw men you want.

Stating that SW is "NOTHING BUT the sum of other stories' parts" is a stupid argument, not a straw one.

#593824 - 12/05/11 05:30 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Stating that SW is "NOTHING BUT the sum of other stories' parts" is a stupid argument, not a straw one.
I know anything you disagree with is stupid. I forgot. My apologies. The story behind SW is largely made up of "lifted elements" or There is little more to the story than "lifted elements"

Is that better? Or can you still make a straw man out of something there?

And seriously check out this guys website, it's as close as a split-screen as you're probably going to get. I don't agree with everything he says either but after a while it seems like it's too much to be all just coincidence. Not just the standard formulas to modern storytelling or even the traditional similarities that all myths share like Joseph Campbell wrote about. Some of the things are small, easily dismissed if not for the sheer volume of them, and many things like whole plotlines that were "lifted" are too involved, specific and complex, to be mere homage. Check out the charts they are easy to read even for a guy like you...
http://moongadget.com/origins/doc.html

The charts are fun. Check out this guys LOTR/SW comparison chart...
http://moongadget.com/origins/lotr.html

Here's the Dune/SW comparison chart...

#593832 - 12/05/11 11:59 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Charles Reece Offline

He introduces the chart with:

"Here are a few of the superficial similarities between Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings"

#593844 - 12/06/11 11:58 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]
Joe Lee Offline

Ran across a similar discussion, with more substance...

http://boards.theforce.net/classic_trilogy/b10002/31244529/p1/

#593846 - 12/06/11 01:02 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Charles Reece Offline

"Space Battleship Yamoto"? It's extremely unlikely.

I have the same reaction to your "nothing but the sum" regarding SW as I do when it's applied to Hip Hop, Tarantino, Alan Moore, or whatever else is built on sampling. Sampling, or syncretism, or whatever you want to call it, is a creative act. The elements are being put together in a certain way that forces them into a particularized communication with each other. When it works, you'll get a new experience that wasn't inherent in any of the source material. Citizen Kane didn't create any of its techniques, but it was the way all these extant techniques were put together that made the film such a cinematic revelation.

Likewise, just because many stories share the same structure (e.g., a hero's journey), that in no way entails what kind of quality or experience each story provides. Creativity still plays a role here by filling the structure in.

#593847 - 12/06/11 01:33 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]
Joe Lee Offline

Likewise, just because many stories share the same structure (e.g., a hero's journey), that in no way entails what kind of quality or experience each story provides. Creativity still plays a role here by filling the structure in.

But in the original SW, the structure is not just the basic story structure of the "heroes journey", it's several huge actual specific plotlines and plot elements taken from other sources, melded together skillfully and the "filling in" is almost entirely "lifted" from other sources as well, some bits may be entirely coincidental, but the quantity and totality of the lifting suggests otherwise.

Like Allen said "The first Star Wars was *intended* as an homage to many things," and now when I watch it I have a hard time not seeing those homages. And I don't see that as inherently negative.

I'm sure we all can recognize elements of the heroic journey in anything we read or see, or even just the similarities in one movie or another, without it negatively effecting the experience.

In my case because SW is almost entire "lifted" elements of various size and shape, I have a hard time seeing SW as transcending the collective homage anymore.

I think Indiana Jones does a better job of transcending homage, because it isn't entirely homage. I can watch Wrath of Kahn an notice it's Moby Dick told from the point of view of the whale. And see it still see it as unique twist, and i still enjoy it, i still think Lucas blending the original SW parts all together was very creative. Like I said above, I give him more credit on the writing than you do and I think SW was much more imaginative and successfully crafted than similar attempts at making nearly 100% recycled movies, like ID4 and Silverado.

Where I get confused though is statements like...

Yeah, no matter when the source material came out, there's no way the movie (John Carter) will not be influenced by Lucas.

How is it possible for everything to be influenced by SW, but it's "bullshit" to recognize the huge influences on SW?

It took imagination and creativity to construct a movie almost entirely from the parts of other movies, serials, novels comics etc... it's still the sum total of all of George Lucas' influences.

Edited by Joe Lee (12/06/11 01:56 PM)

#593850 - 12/06/11 03:56 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Gerald Offline

I was thinking about the name again. If something with "Mars" in the title won't sell tickets, maybe it's not a good idea to make a big budget movie about Mars.

Oh yeah, if anyone is interested youtube "John Carter animated." It shows an unfnished clips of a proposed Barsoom cartoon.

#593851 - 12/06/11 04:30 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

How is it possible for everything to be influenced by SW, but it's "bullshit" to recognize the huge influences on SW?

It's not bullshit to recognize the influences on SW. It's bullshit to thump your chest about it after you grew up on SW.

I heard Elvis Presley stole his entire act from some negroes, though.

#593858 - 12/06/11 11:46 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

It's not bullshit to recognize the influences on SW. It's bullshit to thump your chest about it after you grew up on SW.

I heard Elvis Presley stole his entire act from some negroes, though.
Nice. If you don't actually want to discuss what I was posting about, why have you responded? Just to pick a fight? To counter the evil that is my post?

How is it chest thumping bullshit to make an observation about how your own personal perception of a movie has evolved over the years? I get it, you don't see it the same way. I'm not saying you should. I'm not saying anyone should. It was just my observation about the last couple of times I watched the original SW. You're entitled to your own opinion. But why is my own perception, in your words "wrong."

How is a personal opinion "chest thumping bullshit?"

Edited by Joe Lee (12/07/11 12:12 AM)

#593862 - 12/07/11 12:07 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Joe Lee Offline

I had no idea Sinestro was in John Carter...

http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles...green-lantern-2

#593864 - 12/07/11 12:21 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

Oh yeah, if anyone is interested youtube "John Carter animated." It shows an unfnished clips of a proposed Barsoom cartoon.
I found a link to a downloadable file. The page has a lot of cool art as well, the link is way down at the bottom...

http://www.erbzine.com/mag21/2176.html

Scroll down and click on "View a John Carter of Mars Animation Excerpt" and you can download a FLV file

#593865 - 12/07/11 12:23 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

You're so invested in creating the perception that you are smarter than others because you've done a little research into where things came from. Hey, I understand. I do the same thing with "What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" and Superfolks. The difference, however, is that I read Superfolks long before WEHttMoT ever appeared. You're approaching this from the opposite direction, despite being part of the massive throng of kids who were raised on SW and its spawn you wish desperately to prove you're more enlightened than all the other sheep.

I was very familiar with Star Trek, the Flash Gordon Serials, Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan, all the Sinbad movies, Metropolis and King of the Rocket Men before seeing SW. Didn't stop me from enjoying it immensely at the time, and doesn't stop me from recognizing SW (the original theatrical version, at least) as a masterful piece of visionary filmmaking now.

#593871 - 12/07/11 01:02 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

You're so invested in creating the perception that you are smarter than others because you've done a little research into where things came from. Hey, I understand. I do the same thing with "What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" and Superfolks. The difference, however, is that I read Superfolks long before WEHttMoT ever appeared. You're approaching this from the opposite direction, despite being part of the massive throng of kids who were raised on SW and its spawn you wish desperately to prove you're more enlightened than all the other sheep.

I was very familiar with Star Trek, the Flash Gordon Serials, Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan, all the Sinbad movies, Metropolis and King of the Rocket Men before seeing SW. Didn't stop me from enjoying it immensely at the time, and doesn't stop me from recognizing SW (the original theatrical version, at least) as a masterful piece of visionary filmmaking now.

So in order to create the perception I'm "smarter than you" and "more enlightened," I claimed to see a few movies and read a dozen book series over the course of thirty years?

You have low standards for smart.

And who said I had stopped enjoying SW? And why are you assuming my having such a view is negative? You're reading way too much into what I said. If nothing else I feel a stronger connection to the film. And to Lucas, he created a love letter to sci-fi and fantasy, to swashbuckling adventure and movies, serials,and books. Every freakin' minute of SW is dripping with it.

My perception of the film has evolved, as I have become more familiar with these sources Lucas borrowed from, yours hasn't. That's cool. Why would you feel inferior because of someone else's interpretation of a movie changing thirty years after first seeing it anyway?

And seriously, if you haven't read them already, you should read Frank Herbert's Dune series at least up to God Emperor Dune, and the whole Lensmen series, Asimov's Foundation, the first three at least. They're great and you'll see the stuff in there, it's awesome.

Edited by Joe Lee (12/07/11 01:18 AM)

#593873 - 12/07/11 01:22 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

And who said I had stopped enjoying SW? And why are you assuming my having such a view is negative? You're reading way too much into what I said.

When someone says SW is "NOTHING BUT the sum of other stories' parts," yeah, I suppose I should interpret that as a good thing.

#593875 - 12/07/11 01:33 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

When someone says SW is "NOTHING BUT the sum of other stories' parts," yeah, I suppose I should interpret that as a good thing.
If you can give so much weight to your interpretation of one sentence fragment out of context and no weight whatsoever to everything else I've posted on this topic in the last few days, trying to explain in greater detail what I meant, then you're obviously more interested in picking a fight than having a discussion.

#593881 - 12/07/11 02:20 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

How much validity do you give to a politician walking back his initial comments?

#593893 - 12/07/11 09:23 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

How much validity do you give to a politician walking back his initial comments?
No more validity than a politician making erroneous claims for his own benefit.

#593899 - 12/07/11 11:57 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Well, there you have it. Either way.

#593976 - 12/10/11 09:42 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

The original material that "inspired" Star Wars and it's interpretation long after it's initial release, is a valid and interesting topic for discussion. Why did you feel compelled to shut it down?

#593979 - 12/10/11 09:55 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Joe Lee Offline

There is a nice piece on Star Wars comic art over at CBR ...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35846

#593989 - 12/11/11 11:05 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Why did you feel compelled to shut it down?

Why did you feel compelled to get your ass beat again, three days later?

#594000 - 12/11/11 04:24 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Why did you feel compelled to shut it down?

Why did you feel compelled to get your ass beat again, three days later?

It was an honest question, why not answer it honestly as an adult, instead of trying to perpetuate this immature "get your ass beat" garbage?

#594007 - 12/11/11 05:50 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Do you honestly believe that anyone here doesn't already know that the original SW movie makes reference to many, many books, comic books, album covers, TV shows and other movies?

#594018 - 12/12/11 12:04 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Do you honestly believe that anyone here doesn't already know that the original SW movie makes reference to many, many books, comic books, album covers, TV shows and other movies?
There you go again creating a straw man argument.

When did I say I honestly believed people here don't already know this stuff? I'm sure you'd like me to have said something like that, because that would be a easy argument to win, and because you're not here to discuss John Carter, and whether or not it was more an influence on SW or was SW more an influence on JC, even to discuss all SW many influences, you'd prefer to make yet another thread about you.

Why is that?

#594030 - 12/12/11 01:28 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Please point out where the thread ever turned to the discussion of me. Besides your off-kilter asides, all I can find is the second paragraph of post #593865.

The thread is also not generally about John Carter. It's about the John Carter movie. Which, coming in this late in the game, cannot help but be influenced by SW.

#594032 - 12/12/11 01:39 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

The thread is also not generally about John Carter. It's about the John Carter movie.
Sure it is, depictions of the characters on comics and novel covers were discussed right from the start.

It's about the John Carter movie. Which, coming in this late in the game, cannot help but be influenced by SW.
Sure the original SW influenced everything after it.

The second trilogy? That's debatable. As is how much of the SW movies were influenced by the original Burroughs Mars novels.

#594035 - 12/12/11 01:51 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

The second trilogy? That's debatable.

How the CGI effects employed in the second set will influence the JC movie is anything but debatable. Nobody has the guts to do a full-on large-scale practical production anymore.

#594037 - 12/12/11 02:05 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

And why do you think that is?

#594043 - 12/12/11 02:40 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Because people are generally lazy and stupid.

#594045 - 12/12/11 02:53 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Because people are generally lazy and stupid.
Your mere existence makes that hard to argue with.

#594047 - 12/12/11 03:27 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Even with that highfalutin' collidge edumacation a yers?

#594049 - 12/12/11 03:44 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Sure, why not.

#594051 - 12/12/11 03:49 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Well, gaw-lee!

#594080 - 12/13/11 01:39 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

I ran across this today, and thought it might be appropriate here...

http://youtu.be/mvTCr5Z-0lA

#594351 - 12/26/11 11:40 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Loc: oceanside,Ca
Ohh man, what the hell happened to Carrie Fisher! She was such a hottie!

My forum: http://p207.ezboard.com/fthebullpen28879frm43

and the art blog: http://j-m-hunter.livejournal.com/

#594369 - 12/27/11 02:16 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: THE Anti-Hunter]
Joe Lee Offline

Compare her to Lynda Carter today. And she's even five years older than Leia.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll138/trangthetroll/lynda-carter-feet-4.jpg

#594371 - 12/27/11 02:38 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Joe Lee Offline

Holy crap look at Jabba the Hutt now...

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ld92eh.jpg

#594376 - 12/27/11 08:52 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Loc: oceanside,Ca
Dayum....I blame daddy issues.

My forum: http://p207.ezboard.com/fthebullpen28879frm43

and the art blog: http://j-m-hunter.livejournal.com/

#594378 - 12/28/11 12:51 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: THE Anti-Hunter]
Joe Lee Offline

#596165 - 02/26/12 05:38 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Gerald Offline

So disappointed in this film.

#596169 - 02/27/12 11:45 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

So disappointed in this film.
You've seen it already?

#596190 - 02/28/12 11:18 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Charles Reece Offline

The longer clip makes it look even worse. And the Star Wars ripoffs are really apparent.

#596223 - 03/01/12 12:29 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]
Joe Lee Offline

Yes, George Lucas gets that a lot. The Lord of the Rings movies totally ripped off Lucas' Willow. wink

#596376 - 03/11/12 04:17 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
Saw it. Liked it.

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#596381 - 03/11/12 11:58 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
I saw it and liked it, though the non-human animated characters were all a lot more expressive and interesting than the human characters. With the exception of John (Taylor Kitsch) Carter himself, who is pretty good, most of the humans are remarkably wooden. The six-legged dog-thing steals the show completely. Still an enjoyable evening at the movies, overall.

#596384 - 03/12/12 10:11 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
MBunge Offline

Saw it. Not great but pretty good and certainly better than how its going to be treated after its failure at the box office.

Mike

#596385 - 03/12/12 01:45 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: MBunge]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: MBunge
...certainly better than how its going to be treated...
John Carter reminds me a lot of Rocketeer a pretty good movie that bombs in the theater for who knows whatever reason, but it is still great fun.

I heard a review on MSNBC a few hours before we went to see JC friday night. she claimed it was unwatchable and said she saw many people "walk out of the theater."

Seriously, walk out of the theater bad? Reviewers don't use terms like that lightly right? I started thinking it must be as bad as everyone has been saying. Everyone who hadn't actually seen it.

I almost didn't go.

That's all I need. Drag the wife to another Jonah Hex or Last Airbender. But we went anyway, she knows I'm a huge fan of the books, and have been looking forward to it.

But it was fun. I liked it a lot.

Not the greatest movie ever made to be sure, but it was a pretty good adaptation I thought, certainly not bad enough to "walk out of. I enjoyed it as much as the Sherlock Holmes sequel, and more than the gawdawful American remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Hell most genre films I saw last summer like Green Lantern, Thor, Xmen, Cowboys and Aliens, were not any better or worse than John Carter and none of them were "walk out of the theater," bad either.

#596389 - 03/12/12 04:58 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

The Rocketeer wasn't laden with CGI.

#596391 - 03/12/12 05:06 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
If Rocketeer was the exact same story, same dialogue, same actors, same everything, except it had CGI, would it matter?

From a visual standpoint if CGI turns you off than I can appreciate that. My girlfriend is an artist and CGI usually turns her off a movie. On the other hand I could care less what it looks like as long as everything else is up to scratch. Perhaps it's an artists thing, being more visual people.

#596394 - 03/12/12 07:38 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Jimbo]

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
If Rocketeer was the exact same story, same dialogue, same actors, same everything, except it had CGI, would it matter?

Would it make a difference if a movie set in 1938 Hollywood had CGI? Uh, think about it.

#596395 - 03/12/12 08:19 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Jimbo Offline

I don't see what difference it makes to the story. They didn't have jet packs in 1938 either, or at least nothing that worked as well as the one in the movie. Whether CGI existed or not during the time the film is set is irrelevant. They used CGI in Lord of The Rings as well but I didn't see any of the Hobbits checking their e-mail.

#596396 - 03/12/12 08:30 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Jimbo]

Set in Hollywood. You didn't think about it.

#596397 - 03/12/12 08:55 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Jimbo Offline

You're suggesting it's ironic? I'd then argue it's set in the 1930's. CGI or not they still used plenty of technology that didn't exist during that time to make their movie. What difference does the location make? Yes it's *mildly* ironic I suppose, but it's not like they were ever going to make a period piece with stuff that only existed at the time just because it was set in Hollywood.

#596401 - 03/13/12 02:48 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Jimbo]

However, shooting digital and using CGI would be the exact opposite of the way things were done in Hollywood c.1938.

Anyway, the CGI is likely only part of what makes John Carter suck.

#596402 - 03/13/12 10:17 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Jimbo Offline

There in lies my question, why does it having CGI automatically make it suck? What is it about CGI that makes the movie's quality drop in your eyes? As I said, my girlfriend is the same, CGI is like this automatic turn-off from any film. I'm just trying to understand why.

#596406 - 03/13/12 06:15 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Jimbo]

Things that don't exist don't matter.

After filming of the first three Star Wars films, Lucas went to extreme measures to try and keep details about the story from being leaked — even going so far as sequestering cast and crew, etc. After filming his parts of Phantom Menace, Liam Neeson went on Letterman's show and when asked about the story, said he didn't know what it was even about. He worked primarily on a green screen and had no idea what would be on the screen with him. Broadly speaking, that is what makes CGI suck.

Willem Dafoe was on the Colbert Report promoting John Carter last week. Watch for his severe lack of enthusiasm.

CGI empowers lazy directors. Frank Miller's Spirit movie. Watch the making of featurette for Beowulf to see the flabby thing Robert Zemeckis has become.

#596435 - 03/14/12 11:06 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

So basically, discussing film with allen is like discussing cooking with a vegetarian.

#596437 - 03/14/12 11:31 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Discussing anything with Joe is like waiting for an inadequate analogy to happen.

#596440 - 03/14/12 11:53 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

If you don't like meat, why comment on a barbeque recipe?

#596441 - 03/14/12 11:59 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

If you can't comment on the subject at hand, why comment on the subject at hand?

#596446 - 03/14/12 12:40 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

If you can't comment on the subject at hand, why comment on the subject at hand?
If the subject at hand is a CGI movie you haven't even seen, and you don't like any CGI movies, why did you feel compelled to comment on the subject at hand?

#596448 - 03/14/12 12:50 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Charles Reece Offline

You can make a quality period picture with some CGI just like you can make quality vegetarian food with BBQ. It all depends on the ability of the maker.

#596450 - 03/14/12 01:57 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
MBunge Offline

Charles, we are talking about Allen. He probably thinks CGI was invented by a homosexual.

Mike

#596451 - 03/14/12 02:26 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]
Joe Lee Offline

You can make a quality period picture with some CGI just like you can make quality vegetarian food with BBQ. It all depends on the ability of the maker.
Exactly!

So would you agree it's ridiculous to make claims to the effect all films that make use of CGI are inherently bad?

#596452 - 03/14/12 07:57 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

So would you agree it's ridiculous to make claims to the effect all films that make use of CGI are inherently bad?

Yes. Good thing I didn't make that claim.

#596456 - 03/14/12 10:28 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Yes. Good thing I didn't make that claim.
Did anyone claim you did? You said something like...

...blah, blah blah. Liam Neeson didn't have a talk show anecdote because of green screens, blah, blah blah. Broadly speaking, that is what makes CGI suck.
And BTW I was asking Charles the question, not you.

Edited by Joe Lee (03/14/12 10:51 PM)

#596457 - 03/14/12 10:51 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr. Offline

Loc: Sparks, Nevada, United States
Send him to the cornfield, Anthony. It'll be a good thing. A REAL good thing.

(It's a Good Life; The Twilight Zone, Season 3, Episode 73)

#596459 - 03/14/12 11:31 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Charles Reece Offline

Exactly!

sure. however, i'd rather have bbq pork than the substitute and i've yet to see a modern digital epic look as good as a david lean film.

#596461 - 03/15/12 12:13 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]

You got that right.

#596463 - 03/15/12 12:46 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]
Joe Lee Offline

... i've yet to see a modern digital epic look as good as a david lean film.
Isn't that more a testament to Lean, than anything else. Like you said, doesn't it depend more on the ability of the maker?

Plus it's a bit apples to oranges isn't it, David Lean adapting Charles Dickens' novels is less likely to need the type of special effects adapting Burrough's Barsoom novels would.

And Maybe it was wrong or unfair of me, but I wasn't expecting Lawrence of Arabia when I saw John Carter. I was hoping for something better than Green Lantern, or Cowboys & Aliens and what I saw was no worse or better than the last two live action Star Wars movies. But what do I know I liked the Dino De Laurentiis' Flash Gordon better than the last two live action SW movies. None of which were Lawrence of Arabia either, and I'm just guessing here but I'd bet no one expected them to be. “Sometimes you have to let art flow over you.”

Not that I wouldn't want to see an adaptation of Princess of Mars, that attempted to be near the quality of a David Lean film. I'm just not that hopeful.

Edited by Joe Lee (03/15/12 12:54 AM)

#596464 - 03/15/12 12:57 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Plus it's a bit apples to oranges isn't it

Holy shit. You, who can never resist an analogy (no matter how tenuous), call comparing films to other films "apples to oranges." Unbelievable.

#596465 - 03/15/12 01:11 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Holy shit. You, who can never resist an analogy (no matter how tenuous), call comparing films to other films "apples to oranges." Unbelievable.
You went to Pixar guy Andrew Stanton's first live action film, an adaptation of Edgar Rice Burrough's Barsoom pulp adventure novels, full of four armed, green martians, expecting a film on par with David Lean's epic, Lawrence of Arabia?

#596466 - 03/15/12 01:46 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

No, of course not. Kids today don't have the guts or smarts enough to do anything like what people used to do all the time fifty years ago.

#596467 - 03/15/12 11:58 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Charles Reece Offline

Horror films don't look as good as they once did. Or compare the 1st Indiana Jones to the 4th (ignore the stories, just look at them). It's not necessary, but I think there's too much of an obsession with technological capability over aesthetics. I think a reflection of this is the director as business manager more than artist. Once we had Lean commanding a lot of money, now we have Favreau and Bay. They can get the job done on time and it'll make a profit. But their films look like shit or are just functional at best.

#596468 - 03/15/12 01:06 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
We've all come to expect a pretty high standard for CGI effects. Even something as fanciful as Shrek's figure is supposed to have a real feeling of weight, show light source, textures, have nuanced expressions. Of course there's different styles employed, for instance the new Green Lantern CGI cartoon, I really hate how he is depicted. He looks more like a barrel chested manikin or another alien than something human. Sometimes CGI is most successful when it's not noticed as a special effect. I'm thinking of the '30's New York City-scapes in Peter Jackson's King Kong. To me, they came across as very real, but to actually create them it would've been cost prohibitive or even impossible. Was Jackson's King Kong as good as the original? Not by a long shot. I'd blame his bad sense of pacing, possibly casting, and that it was too long by half though, not the CGI. It can be the most versatile tool available to film makers or a poorly constructed crutch. I'm curious to hear what some of us would call the best CGI or the best use of it. For me, I'll say the Jurassic Park dinosaurs, although I wonder if they'd look as perfect now after seeing more first class CGI as they did the first time.

#596469 - 03/15/12 06:02 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]
MBunge Offline

Horror films don't look as good as they once did. Or compare the 1st Indiana Jones to the 4th (ignore the stories, just look at them).

In those two example, though, it seems like it's more about who is making them than the technology being used. Horror films used to be made by real filmmakers who just happened to be working in that genre instead of fanboys who grew up never wanting to do anything but imitate what they've seen. And Spielberg? 'Nuff said.

Mike

#596476 - 03/15/12 11:38 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: MBunge]
Charles Reece Offline

MQ, Jackson can make some decent looking films without the CGI, so I don't disagree with you about King Kong.

Mike, I think Spielberg is a pretty amazing as a filmmaker, so it's a big drag for me to see the difference in those 2 films. War of the Worlds was great, though. I quite enjoyed Munich, too.

Another comparison: Bladerunner vs. Gladiator. I'm hoping the new Alien prequel will be more like the old Ridley than the more recent one.

#596480 - 03/16/12 01:08 AM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Charles Reece]

the new Alien prequel

Egads. I didn't realize that's what that is supposed to be.

#596591 - 03/20/12 11:57 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]

David Letterman's Top Ten List topic tonight: Things Overheard on a Disappointing Spring Break. #8, "Two for John Carter, please."

#596878 - 04/19/12 02:33 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]

Out on DVD the first week of June.

#598145 - 06/07/12 12:42 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Picked up the DVD yesterday. Watched it again last night. Fun movie. Just wanted to take the opportunity to say, FUCK YOU ALLEN!

#598148 - 06/07/12 01:22 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Yeah, JC was an enjoyable flick that I wouldn't mind seeing again. Unlike "Bella & Thor", I mean, "Snow White & the Huntsman".

#598150 - 06/07/12 02:17 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Picked up the DVD yesterday. Watched it again last night. Fun movie. Just wanted to take the opportunity to say, FUCK YOU ALLEN!

You can thank the box office tanking for the quick DVD release.

#598156 - 06/07/12 03:19 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Ted Kilvington
Yeah, JC was an enjoyable flick that I wouldn't mind seeing again. Unlike "Bella & Thor", I mean, "Snow White & the Huntsman".
It wasn't so good? We almost went to see it this weekend, I should be glad I didn't?

#598157 - 06/07/12 03:20 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Joe Lee Offline

You can thank the box office tanking for the quick DVD release.
No shit! Seriously you think there might be a connection?

Another brilliant deduction from Allen Montgomery: film industry insider

#598158 - 06/07/12 03:27 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

Hey, I'm sorry one of your favorite childhood memories turned out to be such a shitty CGI crapfest, man.

#598162 - 06/07/12 04:03 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Hey, I'm sorry one of your favorite childhood memories turned out to be such a shitty CGI crapfest, man.
Your logic is a little off kid. I liked the film, you're the guy who hates CGI.

#598165 - 06/07/12 04:16 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]

I liked the film

Good, I'm glad.

#598166 - 06/07/12 04:28 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Joe Lee]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Originally Posted By: Ted Kilvington
It wasn't so good? We almost went to see it this weekend, I should be glad I didn't?

Yes, you should be. If your lady must see it, watch it at home, then at least maybe you can get some snuggling out of it.

#598167 - 06/07/12 04:38 PM Re: New John Carter trailer... [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Joe Lee Offline

Ha yeah. I think I'd rather try talking her into Prometheus if we go to the movies this weekend.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley