Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#593786 - 12/05/11 01:07 AM Re: difference between Graphic Novel and TPB [Re: Joe Lee]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
You've obviously never seen an old saddle stitcher.

You've obviously never heard of sarcasm.

#593787 - 12/05/11 01:33 AM Re: difference between Graphic Novel and TPB [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
You've obviously never heard of sarcasm.
NO. I honestly meant no offense, I thought you were just giving poor old poor Peter here, a good-natured hard time, without all the facts. But, I don't know why I would jump to that conclusion.

When I worked at print shops, I used to help out the guys in bindery when things were slow in the art department, so I had actually operated a saddle-stitcher on occasion. My favorite piece of machinery was the paper cutter, it had the look and feel of a short squat guillotine. The one I worked on looked a little like this one, but a little newer...

http://www.plotter-printers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Old-Paper-Cutter.jpg

#593820 - 12/05/11 02:57 PM Re: difference between Graphic Novel and TPB [Re: Joe Lee]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
I worked at a commercial silk screening outfit for a while and it occurred to me that if you weren't reasonably careful, you could get hurt. Not as dangerous an occupation as firefighter or tree trimmer, but about on a par with auto mechanic. Operating large presses and trimmers while constantly breathing in acetone and ink thinners is an interesting combination, I trust you left there with all digits intact?

#593823 - 12/05/11 05:15 PM Re: difference between Graphic Novel and TPB [Re: MightyQuin]
Joe Lee Offline

I do have a couple of nasty scars. Nothing all that cool or dramatic.

But the thought did occur to me once that the fumes and envelopes riding by repetitively on the machines may be the cause of mental illness. I might have witnessed someone literally going postal. Watching one of the pressmen operating a small one color press, running a one color envelope, which was giving him a hard time, I was working at the paper cutter, and he was getting progressively angrier just watching the press, as the envelopes went by, occasionally having to unjam but more or less uneventful. But still the press guy was getting tenser and tenser just watching the envelopes. I thought for sure I was on t something, this is what causes Postal workers to "go postal!"

Later he told me it was because he was having trouble getting it up to speed without it jamming and it would only run at half speed and he was anxious to leave so that blew that theory.

#593826 - 12/05/11 06:42 PM Re: difference between Graphic Novel and TPB [Re: Joe Lee]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Everyone should have a few scars, if only to show they were able to sidestep more major damage. Maybe commercial silkscreening is a less automated, more hands-on operation. I don't know, but we always had our hands in acetone and xylene and other petroleum distillates especially in cleaning the screens. A couple months into the job, I thought to ask someone who did the screen cleaning before I got there. 'Oh, we had a girl, her name was such and such'. I was impressed that a girl could do that kind of work. Then, he said, 'she had to go because she said the skin was melting off her hands'. About then, I decided I would start looking for other work and only worked another couple months there. Also, the boss was a Jehovah's Witness, who are beautiful people usually I'm sure. But, he said the bible gave him the right to treat employees as indentured servants which he translated as meaning slaves and he was perfectly serious about it. All that was more than twenty years ago, but things have been better ever since!

#593854 - 12/06/11 10:06 PM Re: difference between Graphic Novel and TPB [Re: MightyQuin]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Thanks for the links to all those cool old printing supplies, Joe! I had never seen any of those before. I thought I was doing pretty well when I found a stapler with a longer-than-normal arm, kinda like this one:

http://images.discountofficeitems.com/orig/c56/8af/4d687ea107cf05d473b4a3309c45c3bb96.jpg

I gave that to my older son when he went off to college, as essential gear for doing minicomics and zines. But I trust that he will find his own, even more dangerous equipment as he makes his way in the world.

For instance, I like that description of the StitchMaster, where it becomes almost threatening: "Two StitchMasters can be connected to form an effective two-headed stitching machine." Foes of small publishing beware!

#593855 - 12/06/11 10:11 PM Re: difference between Graphic Novel and TPB [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

And Allen, not to worry, I did laugh at your post!

#593856 - 12/06/11 10:13 PM Re: difference between Graphic Novel and TPB [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Cool story, MQuin!

#594251 - 12/19/11 05:39 PM Re: difference between Graphic Novel and TPB [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
steel: A Long Departed Hero Offline

Loc: The MBA (Mysterious Blue Area)...
I make graphic novels in parts, like VOLTRON.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley