Page 378 of 398 < 1 2 ... 376 377 378 379 380 ... 397 398 >
Topic Options
#594025 - 12/12/11 12:54 PM Re: Q for JB [Re: Alexander Ness]
Allen Montgomery Offline

He was also doing X-Men and FF at the same time. So he was only doing breakdowns. That's when Terry Austin started demanding a credit other than "inker" on X-Men. It was Dan Green and Bob Layton finishing on Avengers, I believe.

#594029 - 12/12/11 01:20 PM Re: Q for JB [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Alexander Ness Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I'd have to take your word for it, I've not read them since they came out, but I remember liking them a lot for the art.

#594516 - 01/03/12 08:58 PM Re: Q for JB [Re: Alexander Ness]
Budman Offline

Loc: Penfield, Ny USA
COMING THIS SPRING:
Just like JB, I ponder. Stuff like why would byrne take the ditko vibe artistic look when he did spider man chapter one but not take the siegal/shuster artistic vibe right down to the 's' shield as it was originally drawn when he rebooted superman.
Alas, that question will probably remain in limbo since nobody has the nuts and is a member to ask him personally.

Another ponder: If I had it in me and maybe I do, I was thinking about doing a
BEST OF...Q FOR JB.

I started re-reading from page one, and while it starts out with a lot of peurile comments (a word I learned from page 3 http://comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=553967&page=3) which means childish of all things, there are some pretty good conversations from time to time with links to some heated stuff that has gone on over at the byrne board. Some of those links no longer exist which makes the topic at hand even more intriguing.

To pick out some great stuff with links to the page within this thread or to the big mans site itself yet weed out all the useless stuff in between coughpaulwsonderteadcough is my thought.

#594517 - 01/03/12 09:35 PM Re: Q for JB [Re: Budman]
Alexander Ness Offline

Who get's Questioner of the Thread award Budman?

#594518 - 01/03/12 09:42 PM Re: Q for JB [Re: Alexander Ness]
Budman Offline

Loc: Penfield, Ny USA
I don't know yet but I like that award category.

#594525 - 01/04/12 04:55 AM Re: Q for JB [Re: Budman]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Budman
the 's' shield as it was originally drawn

The chest emblem kept changing shape right from the start. From so many ghosts doing the work, would be my guess. The diamond shape was standardized after about three-to-four years, and is the probably the trademark. I doubt Byrne could have done a different emblem even if he had wanted to.

#594533 - 01/04/12 03:03 PM Re: Q for JB [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MightyQuin Offline

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
By way of trivial minutiae, Kirby, who could draw most anything, said he had real difficulty in getting Supes' 'S' right. I'm guessing it was one of the things that DC Editorial had corrected when the King drew Superman.

#594534 - 01/04/12 04:39 PM Re: Q for JB [Re: MightyQuin]
Allen Montgomery Offline

And the faces were often re-drawn by Curt Swan.

#594536 - 01/04/12 05:09 PM Re: Q for JB [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Alexander Ness Offline

Not taking issues, not even disagreeing, but weren't the reworked faces for covers, and not interiors?

#594537 - 01/04/12 06:22 PM Re: Q for JB [Re: Alexander Ness]
MightyQuin Offline

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
With a by no means exhaustive search of some old 'The Jack Kirby Collector's, I found this. Mark Evanier says that when the DC powers that be saw Kirby's off-model Superman faces they (freaked and) brought in Al Plastino to 'repaste things'. This was for Kirby's first two Jimmy Olsens and Forever People #1. He might well have pasted Curt Swan Supes heads, I don't know, they had plenty of them to choose from and Swan was definitely the preeminent Superman artist then. Thereafter " Colletta inked the books without inking the Olsen or Superman heads, and Murphy Anderson finished them." Again, I think this referred specifically to the early Jimmy Olsens. Later, with Mike Royer inking, DC didn't always think it necessary to bring in Anderson, who, of course, was a full partner in the Swanderson team. The mismatch of styles is certainly glaring, I've seen some of the original Kirby penciled faces and, to me, they're fine, but as Evanier suggests, if they had let Wally Wood ink them, it all would've worked.

Page 378 of 398 < 1 2 ... 376 377 378 379 380 ... 397 398 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley