Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#595618 - 02/02/12 05:23 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
I'm disgusted that DC is recycling the same old shit, again, but not really surprised.

I'm disappointed by Darwyn Cooke. Unlike Allen, I like Cooke's stuff. But I may have to reassess. A few years ago, after he got done making good money off his DC superhero comics , Cooke said he wanted to write and draw his own original graphic novels for a while. He claimed to have some fresh ideas he wanted to put on paper. Now he's back at DC doing ... Watchmen 2?

#595619 - 02/02/12 05:28 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

I saw the covers here at Forbes. I actually think the covers look cool.

However, aside from Rorshach's cool costume, I find all the characters, on their own, to be either very ugly, or depressing. I have to admit that finishing Watchmen, I wanted to know more about the characters, even looking up the RPG game that Moore wrote additions for. But what more is there to know about these characters that Moore didn't cover in the original?

I think only the Minutemen are worthy of fleshing out.

Even though Rorshach is my favorite

#595620 - 02/02/12 05:32 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Len Wein really? Wow, that's sad.

I expect that Len's story is going to get sadder yet.

#595621 - 02/02/12 05:37 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Lawson]
Gerald Offline

Maybe Cooke is just trying to get a fat pay day so he can work on something more personal later on?

I wouldn't have been totally against a 6, or even 12 issue Mintemen series by one writer and one artist.

But 34 issues??? I wonder though, if I wasn't aware of Alan Moore's disuptes with DC, if I would be more accepting of an "un-authorized" prequel?

Is it also fan-fic when Alan Moore uses Peter Pan, Tom Sawyer, Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde, etc for HIS stories?

And what the hell? Why is Adam Hughes working on a Watchmen prequel? Why not his Wondr Woman series?

#595622 - 02/02/12 05:40 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Gerald]
Lawson Offline

Originally Posted By: Gerald
Maybe Cooke is just trying to get a fat pay day so he can work on something more personal later on?

That's what THE NEW FRONTIER was supposed to be. That was a big paycheck for him, especially because it spawned fancy reprint collections, toys, an animated movie and other goodies.

#595623 - 02/02/12 05:46 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Lawson]
Gerald Offline

Hmmm. Don't know then. Maybe he just figures that the comic book market isn't very welcoming to creator owned works so to hell with it. Minutmen looks like New Frontier-lite, or Dark New Frontier.

Was Watchmen one of the first supherhero comics to incorporate McCarthyism into the storyline?

Because it was an interesting angle, and has already been further developed in works like New Frontier. So either that's one more story angle they CAN'T use, or if they do use it, it's old hat by now.

#595626 - 02/02/12 08:05 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Gerald]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Gibbons
May these new additions have the success they desire.

"...so long as I receive the agreed upon royalty check, a set amount independent of sales numbers."

#595627 - 02/02/12 08:06 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Gerald]
IvanJim Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
James Robinson's 1993 series"The Golden Age" picked up on Roy Thomas' McCarthyism story element from his 1986 book The Last Days of the Justice Society of America. Roy's book and Moore's Watchmen were both published in 1986, but I'm not sure which book pre-dated the other.

#595628 - 02/02/12 08:09 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: IvanJim]
Allen Montgomery Offline

I keep forgetting Jim Lee is the co-publisher at DC now. He is of course already well-versed in the art of, and apparently very much enjoyed his prior experience with, fucking Alan Moore.

#595629 - 02/02/12 08:17 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Alex Knapp
A handful of sequel miniseries to Watchmen could be interesting.

I'm sure that's coming.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley