Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#595630 - 02/02/12 08:47 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
I expect that Len's story is going to get sadder yet.

I know his house burnt down a few years ago, is that what you're referring to?

My suspicion is that Wein was recruited under the premise of doing something similar to what Moore did with Wein's character, Swamp Thing. It's probably a lingering jealousy that he is not the definitive writer of his own creation.

Similarly, I'd wager that John Higgins is pretty pissed about getting re-colored out of the Killing Joke deluxe edition.

#595633 - 02/02/12 11:42 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
Moore made a lot of bucks off of others' creations, so I don't know what he has to complain about.

Len Wein got lucky with Swamp Thing and Wolverine. He is a weak writer, even was back in the 70's.

The extended version of the film was pretty good. I expect a solid 21st Century interpretation of the milieu.

The JSA-McCarthyism angle was first used by Paul Levitz in ADVENTURE COMICS #466 in 1979.

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#595635 - 02/03/12 12:02 AM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
My understanding was that Darwyn Cooke's adaptations of the Parker crime novels have also been very successful, as well as being a project Cooke is personally invested in. So I don't see him needing the money. It seems more that he just enjoys working on corporate characters, like on the animated Batman series where he worked with Bruce Timm and Paul Dini. And on New Frontier.

So I'm disappointed by Cooke's involvement in this, but not really surprised.

And I second Gerald's question about Adam Hughes. Now there's a guy who is NOT fast enough to be put on a monthly series, especially when it's a distraction from the long-awaited project that we've been expecting for years.

I don't feel so strongly about this that I would boycott anybody for it, but I doubt I'll be buying any of these. But DC will probably sell a lot of them anyway.

#595636 - 02/03/12 12:15 AM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Originally Posted By: Ted Kilvington
Moore made a lot of bucks off of others' creations, so I don't know what he has to complain about.

I think the main difference here is that Moore thought he had a contract with DC that would give him ownership of Watchmen after a few years. It turned out that he hadn't read the fine print very well, and he was wrong. So he still resents DC for not being willing to honor what he thought was the spirit of their agreement, rather than the letter of it.

Moore doesn't feel that he has wronged anyone in quite that way by his use of other people's characters. We can argue over the finer points of various cases, but overall I think he's mostly right.

It would probably be good for Moore if he could let go of his old grudges, I guess. But they're his grudges, he gets to decide how to handle them.

#595638 - 02/03/12 12:42 AM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Ted Kilvington

We're not talking about Moore's complaints. We're talking about fans' complaints.

#595640 - 02/03/12 02:11 AM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
I'm disappointed by Darwyn Cooke. Unlike Allen, I like Cooke's stuff. But I may have to reassess.

When are you people going to learn that my judgment is impeccable?

#595646 - 02/03/12 02:39 AM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz
I don't feel so strongly about this that I would boycott anybody for it

I like Lee Bermejo, Adam Hughes and Jae Lee's artwork, but it's not like any of them ever actually created any memorable properties (Lee had the forgettable Hellshock). The more I think about it, the more I realize skipping their work won't be much of a loss at all.

#595647 - 02/03/12 02:42 AM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Gerald]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Gerald
Is it also fan-fic when Alan Moore uses Peter Pan, Tom Sawyer, Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde, etc for HIS stories?

Yes, indeed. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has been rendered unreadable under the weight of it.

#595648 - 02/03/12 02:44 AM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

I agree with his grievances towards DC. However, I disagree with him comparing Watchmen to Moby Dick and saying that it didn't have that many sequels, and saying that it's "weakend the argument that comics were an authentic form of literature." He complained about Geoff Johns spinning Blackest Night from Moore's GLC back up story, which was just a retcon retelling of Hal Jordan's origin.

There's sequels all the time to novels and but I don't hear people saying it hurts the reputation of novels.

#595649 - 02/03/12 03:57 AM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Gerald]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Gerald
There's sequels all the time to novels and but I don't hear people saying it hurts the reputation of novels.

Okay, so where's the sequel to Camelot3000? How about Lords of the Ultrarealm?

Stop pretending this has anything to do with artistic expression, any kind of need to expand the stories of these characters or anything other than base corporate greed emanating from a market that has met its full saturation point (and then some).

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley