Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#565533 - 02/08/10 08:10 AM LOST: Anyone here still watching?
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Here's some of the stuff I thought about "LA X," Season 6's premiere episode.

#565541 - 02/08/10 11:07 AM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Charles Reece]
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
My wife and I just rewatched the series through in time to pick up with season 6. It actually took us until season 5 to mentally connect first name to last name, and realize that Jack's dad's name is Christian Shephard. We felt damn foolish. Then we got a little annoyed at J.J. Abrams, because... seriously? "Christian Shephard?"

This, to us, is the experience of watching Lost.

But seriously, I think you're right... I doubt the show is going, after all that build-up, to come down to basically a remake of The Stand. And it hasn't escaped our notice that the "Devil" character is making use of both Captain Blindfaith (Locke) and the closest stand-in the non-mystic characters have for Satan (Ben).

That being said, the show does seem to have spent the last season and a half slowly whittling away characters that aren't reducible to a great good/evil faith/reason passion/logic throwdown, either by killing them off, or just shuffling them out of the spotlight. I have a feeling the only characters I'll be rooting for by the end will be Hurley and Miles.

(And that if there's a character who does say, "Hey, thanks for all the attention, honest, but I'd just as soon not take part in your little war for good and evil," it'll be Hurley.)

#565558 - 02/08/10 12:58 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Charles Reece]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
I've never seen more than a snippet of LOST here and there as I flip through the channels. Before I even think about renting the DVDs, I want to know something.

The impression I get is that the show has done some pretty good character pieces through the use of flashbacks, but that most of the overall narrative is of somewhat questionable quality that you need to be attatched to the characters in order to swallow. Am I way off on that?

Mike

#565560 - 02/08/10 01:35 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: MBunge]
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
In my opinion... yes and no. There are certainly moments on the show that'll make you roll your eyes, but just as many that'll make you desperately fumble for the next DVD because you HAVE TO WATCH THE NEXT EPISODE RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

I'd also say the characters are about as 50/50. I can't stand Jack, the ostensible protagonist of the show. I go back and forth on Locke, who has developed into the antagonist. (Maybe. Sort of. It's complicated.) I dither about equally on Sawyer, who I only developed some affection for in season 5. I like Sayid, I love Hurley, and I love Ben. And I think the first season episodes about Sun and Jin are some of the high points of the show. (Both in characterization and storytelling.)

Can't stand Charlie, don't care about Claire, go back and forth on Desmond...

Yeah. There are a lot of characters and a lot of plots going on all at once. It gets annoying, and it gets awesome. It's so scattershot that you will like something, and something will annoy you.

#565583 - 02/08/10 03:58 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: MBunge]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

I accidentally caught one episode during that season Invasion was on (and I only watched Invasion because I was also watching the other two "alien" shows, Threshold on CBS and Surface on NBC). The flashback pieces were highly annoying. Being stranded away from society is a transformative experience, so I really don't care what these people did before.

After viewing it I read a few blogs about the show and the general concensus seemed to be that the ultimate development in the series will come in the form of a flashback of someone having a flashback.

#565599 - 02/08/10 08:55 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
RANDY Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
As a long time LOST viewer (since Sept. 22, 2004) I’m willing to throw in a few of my own thoughts concerning the show. For me it’s always been a series that is well done. It may not be 100 percent perfect but at it’s best it’s often breathtakingly beautiful, exciting, heartbreaking, and even hillarious.

THE SHOW’S USE OF FLASHBACKS - Both Mike and Allen brought up the use of the flashback device and questioned it’s use. When the show began I was a little annoyed by the use of the Flashback since at first it didn’t seem to have any use other than to the flesh out a characters background and to do a story that is set off island. As time went on I began to appreciate the flashback for a variety of reasons. At their best they are both an engrossing character study and an engaging story that most of time connects up with the main island narrative. Plus, they often give the viewer a glimpse of some of the pre-crash mythology that wouldn’t be possible any other way. Richard Alpert’s immortality, if that’s what it truly is, was first established through several flashbacks, most notably Ben’s and Loche’s. The cast’s interconnectedness was also established mainly through various flashback’s.

THE SHOW’S ENSEMBLE CAST OF CHARACTERS - I’ll be the first to admit that LOST’s large cast is both a strength and a bit of a weakness. It’s a strength because of the richness of the cast and the genuine chemistry that occurs when there is the perfect mix of characters on the screen. This is particularly true when the Ben and Loche show is going on. Or when that slapstick duo of Hurley and Sayid are on the screen. This particularly works out well if Sayid has been knocked out. On the other hand it’s a weakness when the both casual viewer and the die-hard fan almost needs a proverbial scorecard to keep track of who’s who.

THE SHOW’S UNDERLYING “SMARTS” - LOST is one of the few series that isn’t afraid to show it’s intelligence or to recommend source material. Consequently I’ve been enticed enough to actually read a few of the books that have shown up here and there on the show as well as looking up some the more esoteric references. So far I’ve read “Carrie”, “The Third Policeman” as well as “A Brief History of Time” and I’ve looked up both the real John Loche and Jeremy Bentham in the encyclopedia.

THE SHOW’S MYTHOLOGY - Next to the characters and the series ongoing story the thing that keeps me returning to LOST is the show’s dense and multi-layered mythology. This is world building unlike anything that television has ever seen before. Now I don’t know how much was carefully planned out ahead of time or whether it was pieced together episode by episode but so far its worked beautifully. Of course the whole thing could fall apart by the last episode but I willing to bet that Abrams, Lindelof and Cuse are planning to give us an ending that both satisfies and works on a dramatic level.

Edited by RANDY (02/08/10 11:36 PM)

#565604 - 02/08/10 09:26 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: RANDY]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

You noted the day you first watched the show? Geez.

Just explain to me how these people don't lose weight (the women don't lose their breasts), the women keep their hair and makeup hot, and the men all keep that Don Johnson stubble thing going.

#565609 - 02/08/10 11:34 PM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
RANDY Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
You noted the day you first watched the show? Geez.

Just explain to me how these people don't lose weight (the women don't lose their breasts), the women keep their hair and makeup hot, and the men all keep that Don Johnson stubble thing going.

I was just being through. Actually it's easy to remember since it's the same night that the "pilot" episode aired and that the plane crashed on the "island". At least according to the series continuity.

#565613 - 02/09/10 02:06 AM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: Dan Carroll]
Charles Reece Offline

Quote:
My wife and I just rewatched the series through in time to pick up with season 6. It actually took us until season 5 to mentally connect first name to last name, and realize that Jack's dad's name is Christian Shephard. We felt damn foolish. Then we got a little annoyed at J.J. Abrams, because... seriously? "Christian Shephard?"

I hadn't put that together explicitly. That he puts those who follow his word in questionable circumstances adds a bit more depth to the name, don't you think?

Quote:
That being said, the show does seem to have spent the last season and a half slowly whittling away characters that aren't reducible to a great good/evil faith/reason passion/logic throwdown, either by killing them off, or just shuffling them out of the spotlight. I have a feeling the only characters I'll be rooting for by the end will be Hurley and Miles.

That's an interesting take, but I don't quite agree. Kate, Sun, Jin? The show covers a good deal of issues particularizing them to characters than just faith vs. reason. Faraday, Desmond and the two god-types cover free will vs. determinism, for example.

#565614 - 02/09/10 02:19 AM Re: LOST: Anyone here still watching? [Re: MBunge]
Charles Reece Offline

I think it's a good sf show with well-written characters. What the show does right (better than any other I can think of) is root its philosophical themes in character arcs, such that one can't really be divorced from the other. So, if you don't like following any of the characters (I actually like almost all of them, but a few who have already died), you probably won't stick around putting all the pieces together. The special effects are bad beyond belief, though.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley