Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#596124 - 02/23/12 12:01 PM Re: Fun with Milton Friedman [Re: Lawson]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Added a bit, which only supports what you've said.

#596125 - 02/23/12 12:06 PM Re: Fun with Milton Friedman [Re: Charles Reece]
Charles Reece Offline

Have you seen the doc Hot Coffee, Lawson? It's along the lines of the What's the Matter with Kansas?, but about tort reform. There's a funny anecdote in there about a guy in Texas who voted for caps on damages, and then got completely fucked when he was injured through malpractice. His reaction was that he voted against frivolous lawsuits, not the legitimate ones like his own.

#596126 - 02/23/12 12:10 PM Re: Fun with Milton Friedman [Re: Charles Reece]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
I'm acquainted with a politician who pushed hard for $250,000 damage caps in all medical malpractice cases. Nobody needs more than $250,000, he argued. It's anti-business.

Then, when a member of his immediate family was hurt by a sloppy doctor, a malpractice lawsuit was filed seeking $1 million in damages.

"It's different when it's family," he explained to me.

But everyone is someone's family.

#596140 - 02/24/12 02:25 PM Re: Fun with Milton Friedman [Re: Lawson]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
The simple way to cut Government spending & raise more in taxes in both the US and UK is to stop fighting wars and legalize drugs & tax them.

#596142 - 02/24/12 03:29 PM Re: Fun with Milton Friedman [Re: shjonescrk]
Lawson Offline

I'm in favor of fewer wars. Most of the countries we invade and occupy, we do so needlessly and at terrible cost.

On drugs, I'm OK with legalizing and taxing marijuana. Some of the harder drugs, like meth and crack cocaine, not so much. I'd rather not legalize the drugs that kill people. Bad enough we've got tobacco.

That said, I favor emphasis on court-ordered addiction treatment rather than criminal prosecution, and when there are prosecutions, I'd rather see dealers go to prison, not the addicts whose crime was possession of small amounts. I've seen the numbers. Our state and federal prisons would be greatly relieved if we did not lock up anyone for marijuana or for simple possession of other drugs.

#596151 - 02/25/12 06:29 AM Re: Fun with Milton Friedman [Re: Lawson]
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Quote:
Similarly, the most conservative person I know on Comicon relies on the federal government to provide him with a paycheck, health benefits and room and board. He could not survive outside of Uncle Sam's sheltering embrace.

Yeah, there's a lot of civil servants out there who dare to think differently than the prevailing liberal orthodoxy. I dunno how many got jobs with the fed right out of high school and never did anything with their lives like you're describing. Those sound more like the liberal teachers/affirmative action/union cliques that have such a stranglehold on the Democratic party, and I don't see you criticizing them.

Of course an open-minded journalist like yourself who makes shit up about people in public anyway probably waits to be informed about stuff like that. You do with everything that's actually news. What's going to happen when Democrats are out of power? I bet you'll be mingling with Lois Lane and Ben Urich to ferret out the evils of government behind-the-scenes then. Those Republicans probably even support Gitmo and killing American citizens, so how could they be trusted?

Edited by ChrisW (02/25/12 06:41 AM)
Edit Reason: Morgan Edge forced a re-write

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#596152 - 02/25/12 11:23 AM Re: Fun with Milton Friedman [Re: ChrisW]
Charles Reece Offline

"I don't see you criticizing them"

If you don't cry about needing to shrink big government, then there's not the hypocrisy of your being on the government teat. It's like a soldier sympathizing with the militia against the police state.

#596168 - 02/27/12 10:00 AM Re: Fun with Milton Friedman [Re: ChrisW]
Lawson Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisW
Yeah, there's a lot of civil servants out there who dare to think differently than the prevailing liberal orthodoxy. I dunno how many got jobs with the fed right out of high school.

I've known a lot of federal government employees. They all had college degrees. So as to how many got jobs with the fed right out of high school, I'd say zero.

Also along those lines, should the need arise, most of them could find comparable work in the private sector because they are educated and have practical, useful work experience.

And then there's you. Enjoy the drawdown! grin

#596171 - 02/27/12 03:28 PM Re: Fun with Milton Friedman [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Offline

With the repeal of DADT, Weemie now has more options to demonstrate his worth.

#596179 - 02/27/12 09:28 PM Re: Fun with Milton Friedman [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Don't worry, President Sanitorium will repeal the repeal of DADT. That won't be confusing or weird at all.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >