Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#594192 - 12/17/11 12:22 AM Re: Kindle Direct Publishing for Comics [Re: Carlton Donaghe]
Budman Offline

Loc: Penfield, Ny USA
I'm making the jump to digital this xmas. I told santa I wanted the kindle fire and lo and behold it arrived yesterday. I'm not going to fully use it until xmas day but i did take it out and charge it and saw if indeed it had loaded my profile in there ala amazon prime membership and sho'nuff it did. I connected to wifi after putting in my super complex password and now on xmas day I'm officially good to go.
Yes i've read the good and the bad about this but what pulls me in about this tablet is that they are selling it for less than what it costs to produce it. They're taking a loss on it and are banking on making it up with sales through amazon itself.

A buddy of mine has one so I've seen it first hand and I like the clarity of the novels and comics.

#596319 - 03/06/12 08:45 PM Re: Kindle Direct Publishing for Comics [Re: Budman]
Carlton Donaghe Offline

Loc: the American Desert
I wanted to let everyone know that I found my answer for this. It turns out that there's a pretty high cost to uploading or preparing a color comic for the Kindle. A high enough cost that, unless you're going to sell in real quantity, it's prohibitive.

#596320 - 03/06/12 09:04 PM Re: Kindle Direct Publishing for Comics [Re: Carlton Donaghe]
Allen Montgomery Offline

How is it any more expensive than doing a web comic?

#596321 - 03/06/12 10:38 PM Re: Kindle Direct Publishing for Comics [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Carlton Donaghe Offline

Loc: the American Desert
Hi, Allen. I'm sure I read the article on the Beat. Before I responded here, I went over there and tried to find it, but, I'm sorry, I couldn't find it.

In doing a web comic, I don't see it as any harder than uploading files to a site.

In the article I read, I was surprised to find out that there seemed to be a steep cost involved in preparing files for the Kindle tied to file size. And I forget exactly how it worked, but I seem to recall that color increased the cost, just like it does with print.

It could have been on another site, like Bleeding Cool, but I don't remember.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley