Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#596760 - 04/09/12 05:56 PM Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz!
Real Hunter, Alll the time. Offline

Well looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down.

So art group here's how it works. Show off your various stages of development and sketches, finished works or concepts to show Ze foreign art lovers how we roll!

Maybe then people can see how friggin' busy we are.

#596770 - 04/10/12 01:30 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
MightyQuin Offline

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Hey, Hunter's back and he's brought art with him! Like the new characters, new to me anyway. It's cool how even in the drawing of bones above, your comics training shows through. It seems like just a careful still life study of those bones, but being a comics artist you knew a cross-diagonal graphic element would amp the visual interest in the whole drawing, so you put it in there, nice work!

#596771 - 04/10/12 01:39 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
MightyQuin Offline

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's a new cover for issue #3 of my old web strip Teregrin. I'm relettering everything digitally and going to be uploading them to various digital publishers/distributors. This one is a little wackier and more comic bookey than I usually work, so I like that part of it. But, no, this scene doesn't even occur anywhere in the book.
Wait, I just realized that all Teregrin's adventures take place in Europe. Does this even count as Americanz work, or worse yet, I may be a euro-lovin' traitor?!

Edited by MightyQuin (04/10/12 01:48 PM)

#596772 - 04/10/12 03:44 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: MightyQuin]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Re-interpretation of an Ed Brubaker Batman page:

I turned them into somewhat realistically rendered anthropomorphic characters. Others turned them into My Little Pony characters, Power Puff Girls, etc.

#596774 - 04/11/12 02:42 AM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: MightyQuin]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: MightyQuin
Does this even count as Americanz work, or worse yet, I may be a euro-lovin' traitor?!
Nah, aren't european artists more expensive than we americanz? I love your work man! The piece is awesome. Very Prince Valiant, and even EC comics and anything else cool I can think of.

#596775 - 04/11/12 02:47 AM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Joe Lee]
Joe Lee Offline

I've been working on a piece with Hunter and Ness. Here are the finished pencils, it's a three pager about the battle of Marathon, written by Hunter and based on a poem by Ness.

#596776 - 04/11/12 03:00 AM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Joe Lee]
Alexander Ness Online   shocked

Loc: Minnesota
Kicks much asss

#596777 - 04/11/12 03:02 AM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Joe Lee]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

That reminds me that I still have to finish Ness' 3-pager that I started quite a while ago:

#596778 - 04/11/12 03:16 AM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Allen Montgomery]

hot damn!

#596781 - 04/11/12 02:05 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Alexander Ness]
MightyQuin Offline

Very solid work all around! Those finished pencils are amazingly three dimensional, Joe, and I really like Allen's choice of black for page margins, it fits the tone and probably should be used more often.

hmm, several short works, a variety of styles, I see an anthology on the horizon. This Ness fellow gets around. I used to wonder how he did it, but the new icon makes it clear, he's made a deal with the debbil!

#596784 - 04/11/12 04:50 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: MightyQuin]

Or he is on drugs.

#596786 - 04/11/12 07:39 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: MightyQuin]

Hey, Hunter's back and he's brought art with him! Like the new characters, new to me anyway. It's cool how even in the drawing of bones above, your comics training shows through. It seems like just a careful still life study of those bones, but being a comics artist you knew a cross-diagonal graphic element would amp the visual interest in the whole drawing, so you put it in there, nice work!

Thanks Ed! I'm glad you noticed that. Yea I've been in this fine art program that sucks imo for half a year now and I'm chomping at the bit to do more illustration/comics esp. since I'm burning out on painting. News Flash! Painting is not only expensive but also Painting w/o real feedback or demos to show physical/technique application is soul sucking!

I miss drawing comics and had alot of fun on our collabos we did here with Ness's poems etc. It's too bad we couldn't get something more regular going and on rotation so that everyone got to have their chance in the different seats. That would've been anthology worthy imo!

But that's life. No worries.

#596787 - 04/11/12 07:46 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: MightyQuin]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's a new cover for issue #3 of my old web strip Teregrin. I'm relettering everything digitally and going to be uploading them to various digital publishers/distributors. This one is a little wackier and more comic bookey than I usually work, so I like that part of it. But, no, this scene doesn't even occur anywhere in the book.
Wait, I just realized that all Teregrin's adventures take place in Europe. Does this even count as Americanz work, or worse yet, I may be a euro-lovin' traitor?!

Ed,I love the slick look of this! I'm glad you're still going for it too!

A few things I'd mention but then I could be talking out of my ass!

The lettering has a really thick bold line around it and I'm wondering if it's cramping your hero's head a bit too much? Do you think making the two word baloons connected though descending since the 2nd one on the left seems like an after thought would work if you dedicated them to either left or right,(I'd choose right maybe over the bugs carcass as there's alot of dark area there).

I love the gal on the bottom I love how she's almost a cut out at the bottom, I'd consider though since she's colored such a cooling color of maybe thickening the contour around her as she's closest to us to compensate for the heavy bold heroics of T-man and his brawny thews and golden maine. As it stands the aqua color behind the beautiful title logo you have is popping more forward than the female. (Though maybe you planned/preferrd that?)

Other than that, I can't wait to read this in printed form! I'd love it if was the format of a big book like those Conan magazines etc. or even larger like the E.C. books. I'd gladly showcase this in my collection!

#596788 - 04/11/12 07:48 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Allen Montgomery]

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Re-interpretation of an Ed Brubaker Batman page:

I turned them into somewhat realistically rendered anthropomorphic characters. Others turned them into My Little Pony characters, Power Puff Girls, etc.

I love the direction you took with this! I Laughed out Loud at the "Man Symbol" in the skyline as well. Clever. Honestly I think this is the strongest, or at least expressive work I've seen from you. I like the pencils alot and wonder what a slick ink job would look like on top of this? Or maybe let Joe Lee take a coloring hand to it. Either way man nice job!

#596789 - 04/11/12 07:53 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Joe Lee]

Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
Does this even count as Americanz work, or worse yet, I may be a euro-lovin' traitor?!
Nah, aren't european artists more expensive than we americanz? I love your work man! The piece is awesome. Very Prince Valiant, and even EC comics and anything else cool I can think of.

Yea 2nd'd. Ed Q, is a American Irish as Apple Pie with a side of Guinness!

That wasn't stereotyping much huh?

In all seriousness despite the 2 things I asked Ed about his piece above they weren't crits as much as poking around to hear what his thought process or why he chose to do the things he did with this awesome piece. I've got alot to learn from Ed and all of you guys. This is one of my favorite groups of artists going right now and it was about time to get the band back together again. Also I lost my password/login info so I had to lurk for a bit.

#596790 - 04/11/12 07:54 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Joe Lee]

I've been working on a piece with Hunter and Ness. Here are the finished pencils, it's a three pager about the battle of Marathon, written by Hunter and based on a poem by Ness.

It doth indeed kicketh much of the asseth!!! smile

It's nice to see this blooming and booming my friend!!!

#596791 - 04/11/12 07:57 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: MightyQuin]
Joe Lee Offline

This Ness fellow gets around.
Even for an Americanz, he izz how you say, the sexy bitch.

#596792 - 04/11/12 07:57 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Allen Montgomery]

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
That reminds me that I still have to finish Ness' 3-pager that I started quite a while ago:

More! More! I demand More!

How are classes going for you?

Btw,

By the looks of this there's a certain anthology that you guys might want to consider submitting this to in June.

http://www.nixcomics.com/pages/index.php?pageId=151

#596793 - 04/11/12 07:58 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Alexander Ness]

Originally Posted By: Alexander Ness
Or he is on drugs.

Aren't we all?

#596794 - 04/11/12 08:02 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: MightyQuin]
Joe Lee Offline

hmm, several short works, a variety of styles, I see an anthology on the horizon. This Ness fellow gets around.

"This Ness fellow gets around"
Were you thinking of that for a title for a Ness anthology?

#596795 - 04/11/12 08:06 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]

I got tons of artwork stored up. Ness is usually spammed with it because he's on my facebook. I just didn't want to bogart the forum and loved seeing everyone else's work.

#596796 - 04/11/12 08:09 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Joe Lee]

hmm, several short works, a variety of styles, I see an anthology on the horizon. This Ness fellow gets around.

"This Ness fellow gets around"
Were you thinking of that for a title for a Ness anthology?

"Around The Ness"

or

"Into the Ness".

"Empty Ness Syndrome".

"Ohhh That Alex..."

"Ness-is-scary Evils and other Tales."

#596797 - 04/11/12 08:44 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
Joe Lee Offline

or maybe...

Ness-a-palooza

Hot-ness

What A Beautiful Ness

Don't Ness with Texas

Nessing with your mind

Loch Ness Poet

Nessiah complex

The 2nd coming of the Nessiah (for a sequel?)

#596798 - 04/11/12 08:53 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Joe Lee]

How about this

The ravings of a Madman

#596800 - 04/11/12 09:24 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Alexander Ness]
Joe Lee Offline

Too obvious grin

#596801 - 04/11/12 10:25 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Joe Lee]

Yea, too obvious!!

"Ness = More".

"The Ravens of a MadNess".

There....that's it.

That's it fellas.

"The Raven's of a MadNess".

#596802 - 04/11/12 10:25 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]

No..almost..

"The Raven's of MadNess".

THAT IS THE TITLE!!!

#596803 - 04/11/12 10:47 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]

The Ravens of Madness yes
MadNess no. I generally don't enjoy plays upon my name.

It isn't like I could choose the name after all.

#596804 - 04/12/12 12:00 AM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Alexander Ness]
MightyQuin Offline

Yeah, cut it out you guys, from now on, no ness is good ness!

Actually, you put your finger on a couple things I wasn't all that happy with on the cover, Hunter. The girl's position seems a little wonky, but I don't do much drawing digitally yet, so I may be stuck there. The super heavy word balloon line was supposed to be like ones used by Marvel in the 60's & 70's. Usually they contained some pronouncement like "Bruce Banner is the Hulk!" Probably I was just nostalgic for them. They may not fit all that well here, I'm just glad that I didn't put three Stan Lee exclamation points too.
Somehow I had missed the 'man-signal' on Allen's page, funny stuff!

#596813 - 04/12/12 09:05 AM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Alexander Ness]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Alexander Ness
I generally don't enjoy plays upon my name.

It isn't like I could choose the name after all.
You think Ness is bad. Try Jolly. There's even seasonal options. frown

#596907 - 04/22/12 02:38 PM Re: Ze Americanz SuperStar Art/Comics Threadz! [Re: Joe Lee]

Been taken up painting people's comic characters on 8x10. If only I could figure out what to charge for some of these, or for prints. Newb'd.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley