Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#596946 - 04/24/12 03:05 PM DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Regarding BEFORE WATCHMEN, DC Comics exec Jim Lee says:

I guarantee you that every single one of these creators that’s working on these books, think they can outdo — match or outdo — what was done in the original.

Uh-huh.

Suuuuure.

They'll totally kick WATCHMEN's ass.

So depressing. I used to respect some of the creators involved in this mess, like Darwyn Cooke. My mistake, obviously. If Darwyn Cooke thinks he can outdo Alan Moore, perhaps he should go out and create his own comic rather than cobbling together a direct sequel to some other guy's story.

#596947 - 04/24/12 03:11 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
It's stuff like that which makes you understand that good hype is harder than it looks. For example, it's obvious that Lee's comment is framed in response to the online whining about how these creators are sellouts and/or whores for doing this project. Good hype can't be inherently defensive.

Mike

#596948 - 04/24/12 03:22 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
Lawson Offline

Hearing idiots like Jim Lee brag about outdoing Alan Moore with a cash-sucking sequel reminds me of the story about Jack Kirby, who read an interview with some new guy on the CAPTAIN AMERICA comic.

The new guy said he wanted to produce CAPTAIN AMERICA "in the Kirby tradition."

Kirby grunted and said, "This kid doesn't get it. The Kirby tradition is to go create a new comic."

#596949 - 04/24/12 03:50 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

There is one, and only one, defense of this cash grab.

Jim Lee - "With the worldwide success of the film, there are more WATCHMEN fans than ever before and this is an opportunity to satisfy their hunger for more about these characters while exposing them to some of the best talent in comics today."

Translation - "We're whoring out WATCHMEN to help the comic industry."

Mike

#596950 - 04/24/12 05:41 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
billybates Offline

Loc: ON, CAN
Only a whore would sell out for comic book money. (And only a savvy businessman, tired of drawing comics and looking to advance his career up out the ghetto, would sell out for a piece of potential movie sequels*.)

*Obviously speculation, but why has Adam Hughes hopped-to while All-Star Wonder Woman sits in the hopper? Isn't that as much of a sure-thing cash-grab?

#596952 - 04/24/12 07:40 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: billybates]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Originally Posted By: billybates
why has Adam Hughes hopped-to while All-Star Wonder Woman sits in the hopper? Isn't that as much of a sure-thing cash-grab?

Exactly. His involvement in this may even hurt him. I know I'll never buy anything with his name on it again.

#596955 - 04/25/12 03:45 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Adam Hughes in 2006:

"My commitment to ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN is for six issues. My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, penciled and inked, a month. The issues will be released monthly, on time, because we're starting far enough in advance. You will get your ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN every four weeks. I think I have some cool stuff in store. If you cannot, however, approach the notion of me doing a book like this with something resembling basic human optimism and enthusiasm, then I'll thank you to kiss my man-sized ass."

Adam Hughes in 2012:

"Well, I still have a contract; DC never tore it up. I think we'd all like me to get to it eventually. DC has said as much. I would very much like to get it out someday."

laugh

#596956 - 04/25/12 04:17 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
Adam Hughes in 2006:

My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, penciled and inked, a month."

I know this is beating a dead horse, but that is motherbleeping ridiculous. Not everybody can be Jack Kirby, or even Mark Bagley, John Byrne or John Romita Jr, but 10 pages a month? If you just work Monday through Friday, that's a quarter of a page per day. There's no way any super-hero comic book artist should be that slow. That pace has to be due to taking side jobs, either in or out of comics, in addition to the monthly book.

Mike

#596957 - 04/25/12 04:21 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
Lawson Offline

Originally Posted By: MBunge
I know this is beating a dead horse, but that is motherbleeping ridiculous. Not everybody can be Jack Kirby, or even Mark Bagley, John Byrne or John Romita Jr, but 10 pages a month?

And bear in mind that (a) Hughes considered this a Herculean effort worthy of much praise and (b) he couldn't even deliver this much.

#596958 - 04/25/12 04:41 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]

Which is why I laugh at the notion of this Doctor Manhattan mini. DC has been taking deadlines a little more seriously latey, so I expect he'll just be doing the covers from #2 on.

#596959 - 04/25/12 04:48 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Adam Hughes gives hope to all of us slow pokes, but seriously, good as he is, how does he get work blowing deadlines like that?!

#596960 - 04/25/12 04:54 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Hughes reminds me of Frank Cho, another guy who specializes in the occasional cheesecake T&A cover.

In 2007, Cho demanded public accolades after completing six consecutive issues of MIGHTY AVENGERS. Each issue took Cho six to ten weeks to deliver. That was after Marvel literally flew out another artist, Brandon Peterson, to draw the backgrounds for him, so he could focus on just the figure work (i.e., the bewbies).

"I had to choose MIGHTY AVENGERS over my family life," Cho said at the time. "I set my wife aside and explained to her the gravity of the situation, and made her understand that I won't be around for her or the kids until I got issue No. 6 done. She was very understanding."

#596961 - 04/25/12 05:50 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
Hey, lay off. It's not like these guys can just go to work and come home, they're not doctors.

#596962 - 04/25/12 06:56 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Jimbo]

Image solicited a 3-issue Cho mini called Guns & Dinos back in September and October (issues 1 and 2, respectively). First issue hasn't arrived yet, and the third issue hasn't solicited. Shocker, I know.

#596963 - 04/25/12 07:57 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
Budman Offline

Loc: Penfield, Ny USA
Hughes reminds me of Frank Cho, another guy who specializes in the occasional cheesecake T&A cover.

In 2007, Cho demanded public accolades after completing six consecutive issues of MIGHTY AVENGERS. Each issue took Cho six to ten weeks to deliver. That was after Marvel literally flew out another artist, Brandon Peterson, to draw the backgrounds for him, so he could focus on just the figure work (i.e., the bewbies).

"I had to choose MIGHTY AVENGERS over my family life," Cho said at the time. "I set my wife aside and explained to her the gravity of the situation, and made her understand that I won't be around for her or the kids until I got issue No. 6 done. She was very understanding."

Ahhh memories...reminds me of this thread:
http://comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=14704&Number=194221#Post194221

Yep...frank cho sure had it rough at that time...

#596965 - 04/25/12 11:47 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Adam Hughes in 2006:

"My commitment to ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN is for six issues. My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, penciled and inked, a month. The issues will be released monthly, on time, because we're starting far enough in advance. You will get your ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN every four weeks. I think I have some cool stuff in store. If you cannot, however, approach the notion of me doing a book like this with something resembling basic human optimism and enthusiasm, then I'll thank you to kiss my man-sized ass."

Adam Hughes in 2012:

"Well, I still have a contract; DC never tore it up. I think we'd all like me to get to it eventually. DC has said as much. I would very much like to get it out someday."

laugh

Yes, just like I told you months ago, although I don't blame you for forgetting:

http://www.comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=64203&Number=595718#Post595718

Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz
Regarding Adam Hughes and his long-delayed ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN series, The Beat recently linked to one of their old articles about it, from August 2006:

Adam Hughes on Scheduling

which quoted him as saying,

Quote:
My commitment to ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN is for 6 issues. My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, pencilled and inked, a month. The issues will be released monthly, on-time, because we’re starting far enough in advance. You will get your ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN every four weeks.

If he had followed that schedule, he would have finished well over 600 pages by now, so presumably other things have gotten in the way. Man, I had forgotten just how long it has been! And I am really not trying to knock Adam Hughes here, although I know it sounds like it. I was willing to wait for many years for this series if it took that long. Or if he had decided to drop the project, I would be okay with that too, although if he ever made that announcement I missed it.

Hmm, maybe I'd better Google it before I make that statement? Let's see here . . . well, how about that! From just last week:

CBR Interview with Adam Hughes about the fate of ASWW

Quote:
I think we'd all like me to get to it eventually. DC has said as much. I would very much like to get it out someday. It'll be my 'lost project' for a while, and then someday it'll come out.

So it was medical issues with his wife, and needing the faster income of doing covers, that got in the way, basically. Which I have no problem with at all. Bless him and his family, and never mind the WW book, we can all live without it.

But how doing this new Watchmen book fits into this, that is still kind of a puzzle.

#596966 - 04/25/12 11:50 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Oops, I posted in two threads at once and got confused. What I wrote in the other thread and meant to write here was:

Also, in one of those links, Hughes notes that it would be kinda awkward right now to have his WW book competing with the New52 version, which is reasonable enough I guess. But also, he just hasn't sat down and finished it.

Allen makes a good point that it seems almost impossible that Hughes could really draw all of this new Dr. Manhattan series under deadline. Unless he already started on it a year ago? We'll see.

#596967 - 04/26/12 12:29 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Real Hunter, Alll the time. Offline

Adam Hughes in 2006:

Adam Hughes in 2012:

laugh

Yes, just like I told you months ago, although I don't blame you for forgetting:

http://www.comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=64203&Number=595718#Post595718

Regarding Adam Hughes and his long-delayed ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN series, The Beat recently linked to one of their old articles about it, from August 2006:

Adam Hughes on Scheduling

which quoted him as saying,

Quote:
My commitment to ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN is for 6 issues. My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, pencilled and inked, a month. The issues will be released monthly, on-time, because we’re starting far enough in advance. You will get your ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN every four weeks.

If he had followed that schedule, he would have finished well over 600 pages by now, so presumably other things have gotten in the way. Man, I had forgotten just how long it has been! And I am really not trying to knock Adam Hughes here, although I know it sounds like it. I was willing to wait for many years for this series if it took that long. Or if he had decided to drop the project, I would be okay with that too, although if he ever made that announcement I missed it.

Hmm, maybe I'd better Google it before I make that statement? Let's see here . . . well, how about that! From just last week:

CBR Interview with Adam Hughes about the fate of ASWW

Quote:
I think we'd all like me to get to it eventually. DC has said as much. I would very much like to get it out someday. It'll be my 'lost project' for a while, and then someday it'll come out.

So it was medical issues with his wife, and needing the faster income of doing covers, that got in the way, basically. Which I have no problem with at all. Bless him and his family, and never mind the WW book, we can all live without it.

But how doing this new Watchmen book fits into this, that is still kind of a puzzle.

I know first hand what that's like. Well except I don't draw comics for a living...

#596970 - 04/26/12 11:21 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Lawson Offline

Yeah, it's a safe bet your post was where I first saw that.

#596971 - 04/26/12 11:25 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Lawson Offline

Allen makes a good point that it seems almost impossible that Hughes could really draw all of this new Dr. Manhattan series under deadline. Unless he already started on it a year ago? We'll see.

It's possible Hughes will be aided by one or more ghost artists who will do much of the heavy lifting. Just as Marvel dispatched an assistant artist to help Frank Cho with MIGHTY AVENGERS.

I can imagine Hughes penciling Dr. Manhattan and one or two other primary characters, then leaving all other artwork -- the other figures, the backgrounds, and the inking -- to a team of much cheaper artists who will imitate his style.

#596974 - 04/26/12 02:16 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

It's possible Hughes will be aided by one or more ghost artists who will do much of the heavy lifting. Just as Marvel dispatched an assistant artist to help Frank Cho with MIGHTY AVENGERS.

I can imagine Hughes penciling Dr. Manhattan and one or two other primary characters, then leaving all other artwork -- the other figures, the backgrounds, and the inking -- to a team of much cheaper artists who will imitate his style.

We should remember that collaborating on art isn't a new thing. In ye olden days, it wasn't unusual for an artist to do "break downs" and then another the finished art. And, of course, inkers would sometimes fill in a lot of detail over the artist's pencils. I picked up THE THING #2 recently and while it was "drawn" by Ron Wilson, John Byrne inked it so heavily that Wilson's work is largely undetectable.

The difference is that everyone would get credit for their contribution and artists and inkers were usually allowed to keep their own style. One of the things editors had to do back then was find the right combination of artists and inker, not hiring people to mimic some lazy bones who can't do his freakin' job.

Mike

#596975 - 04/26/12 04:19 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
Lawson Offline

Right you are, on all counts, Mike.

Coincidentally, I've been reading stories lately about the Bronze Age in comics -- late 1960s through the 1970s -- and you see a lot about other artists being called in to help with deadline pinches, often without getting credit.

Neal Adams evidently passed pages around parties more than once and asked his fellow party-goers to take turns inking them. Some of the folks there were professional artists; others were not, but hell, they could hold a pen.

#596976 - 04/26/12 10:08 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]

Around parties? You make it sound like that was a special event. No, that was standard procedure at Continuity Associates. Look up "The Crusty Bunkers" (sometimes called "Rusty Clunkers").

#596986 - 04/27/12 01:43 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

The below article lists some more opportunities to mine Alan Moore's past works. Two of my favorites were a "V for Vendetta" sequel and a "Killing Joke" prequel.

I think they missed a few. Why not majke V an ongoing series, and a "Watchmen Beyond" a future version of the Watchmen in the Batman Beyond world.

"Twilight of the Superheroes," anyone?

Maybe a retro style "Justice League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" a year long, weekly retro crossover sort of JSA done in that Sandman Mystery Theater style, pitting the public domain characters and the Golden age JSA against each other.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/24/alan-moore-comics-spinoffs/

#596997 - 04/27/12 11:06 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Joe Lee]

The only DC book I was left following, iZombie, is coming to an end because of Chris Roberson's great sense of moral decency regarding this matter. Bravo.

#596998 - 04/27/12 11:11 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]

On an urelated note, Marvel has dredged up an unused Man-Thing script by Steve Gerber and is putting it out as a miniseries, illustrated by Kevin Nowlan.

#597025 - 04/29/12 06:51 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
Gerald Offline

If Darwyn Cooke thinks he can outdo Alan Moore, perhaps he should go out and create his own comic rather than cobbling together a direct sequel to some other guy's story.

That's good that they think that. You don't want someone working on something thinking, "I can never live up to so-and-so."

#597026 - 04/29/12 06:56 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
Gerald Offline

There's no way any super-hero comic book artist should be that slow. That pace has to be due to taking side jobs, either in or out of comics, in addition to the monthly book.

Mike

I agree but then again, comic book consumers these days, who are mostly adults, are super critical with regard to story and art. People criticizing Ethan Van Sciver for his over rendering and saying his anatomy of characters is incorrect.

But they should really figure out how to cut corners. Not every panel needs to have a super detailed background.

#597027 - 04/29/12 06:57 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Gerald]

JMS has been pretending he's more talented than Alan Moore for fifteen years or more. Tells it to his shaving mirror every morning.

#597030 - 04/29/12 11:40 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

In an interview with cbr he rated himself as a comic writer, I think it was a 7, with Alan Moore being a 10.

In regards to All-Star Wonder Woman, DC probably didn't see much value in having him invest his time on a character that doesn't sell. I can't blame the artists too much if the management lets the deadlines slip so much.

If Terry Dodson's art on Wonder Woman couldn't make the book a top seller, I doubt Adam Hughes could fare that much better.

Edited by Gerald (04/29/12 11:44 PM)

#597038 - 04/30/12 07:16 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Gerald]

When asked to directly compare himself to Moore, of course JMS is going to act humble. Yet the occasional little narcissistic comment will slip out, like Rising Stars being Watchmen taken to the next level.

Hughes is a better artist than Dodson (who got his chops copying Hughes). His WW would sell, at least for a mini. When I worked in a shop we had a problem with people stealing the Hughes covers off WW.

#597053 - 04/30/12 02:03 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

He wasn't asked to compare himself to Moore. The question was something along the lines of "how do you rate yourself as a comic writer."

He said he was a 7 with Alan Moore being a 10.

If he said that Rising Stars is Watchmen taken to the next level, maybe that was just promotional hype.

Hughes is the better artist, but Dodson can atleast put out a monthly comic with the occasional fill-in. I really doubt that All-Star Wonder Woman would sell enough to have DC put all other Hughes work on hold like posters, covers, statue designs, etc.

#597058 - 04/30/12 04:17 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Gerald]

Pretty sure Hughes is a freelancer and can decide which jobs he wants to do.

#597067 - 04/30/12 09:13 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Pretty sure Hughes is a freelancer and can decide which jobs he wants to do.

I thought he signed a contract with DC Comics for the time being. It seems like the majority of his recent work is all DC related.

However, if he is a freelancer, and DC doesn't want him to pay him for an All-Star Wonder Woman series, I doubt he can force them to.

#597115 - 05/01/12 10:27 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Gerald]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Gerald, you make valid points, but read those interviews with Adam Hughes that I linked to in my post above. DC would be thrilled to have a completed WW book from Hughes to publish, although right now might not be the best time to publish it if it were completed, which currently it is not. Despite their surface similarities, Hughes is still a lot more popular than Dodson for whatever reason. I like them both, but I have to admit that Hughes just seems to bring something extra to everything he does.

You are correct that Hughes has an exclusive contract with DC at the moment. See here:

http://www.justsayah.com/news/2012/01/87/Adam_+_Vertigo_=_Best_Friends!/

But those exclusive contracts usually call for a certain amount of work in a given period, leaving some flexibility as to exactly what that work will be. It sounds like this contract may have just been for covers, maybe? I'm not sure if the Dr. Manhattan series is part of that contract or another thing entirely? But I'm fairly certain that the WW series was an entirely different contract from back in 2006.

#597873 - 05/17/12 06:54 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Gerald Offline

Warner Bros is selling a Watchmen toaster that burns a rorschach pattern in the bread.

#597874 - 05/17/12 06:57 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Gerald]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
I'm selling toilet paper with the same design.

#597875 - 05/18/12 01:45 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Charles Reece]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Watchmen toaster? What the ...?

#597895 - 05/19/12 04:44 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: shjonescrk]
arthur pendragon Offline

Originally Posted By: shjonescrk
Watchmen toaster? What the ...?

It's all about the bread!!! wink

#597956 - 05/23/12 10:41 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: arthur pendragon]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
What, no jokes about which will be more entertaining, the prequels or the toast?

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#597962 - 05/23/12 01:38 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Ted Kilvington]
IvanJim Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
No need. There's a slim chance that the toast might have some redeeming value (depending on what bread is used). The prequels will be inedible.

#597965 - 05/23/12 05:58 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: IvanJim]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
D'OH!

#598123 - 06/06/12 12:41 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MightyQuin]
HouseOfMisterE Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL

haha!

#598125 - 06/06/12 01:00 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: HouseOfMisterE]

Saw this at Best Buy yesterday:

What are elements that relate these three films to one another? Next to it is a complation of 300, Troy and Alexander. Someone at AOL/Time-Warner higher than the DC Comics division is very aware of the Alan Moore situation and is also very willing to capitalize on it.

(From Hell and LXG were both Twentieth Century Fox, btw)

#598141 - 06/07/12 12:12 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

I picked up the first issue of Minutemen, largely out of curiosity and I ended up buying it, it was pretty good. I'm a huge Darwyn Cooke fan so maybe that isn't the most objective view of the whole prequel series, and I might not like the others so much, but it was a decent retro style comic, a dark and serious golden age homage, a little slow to start, but it seems like a fun series, worth giving a chance.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who liked Cooke's Final Frontier or his Spirit series. To compare it to something not by Cooke, I'd say it reminded me a little of Mignolia's Lobster Johnson mini's, and Robinson's Golden Age.

#598147 - 06/07/12 01:19 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Joe Lee]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
I just read it too. While we can't judge the entire "Before Watchmen" enterprise from one issue, it was indeed a promising start.

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#598149 - 06/07/12 01:39 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Eh. While it was certainly well crafted, I feel like I spent 4 bucks for Cooke saying "Remember those guys from Watchmen? Well, spend another 4 bucks next month and you might actually get a story involving them."

Maybe I was just a little cranky because I read it right after X-O Manowar #2, which has spent 2 issues telling me the same story as the first 4 pages of the original comic.

Mike

#598152 - 06/07/12 02:23 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Joe Lee]

Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
I picked up the first issue of Minutemen

And CGI John Carter. You're not part of the problem, you're the entire problem.

#598160 - 06/07/12 03:39 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

I picked up the first issue of Minutemen

And CGI John Carter. You're not part of the problem, you're the entire problem.
Says the guy who claims Moby Dick is homosexual propaganda. grin

#598161 - 06/07/12 03:41 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
Joe Lee Offline

Maybe I was just a little cranky because I read it right after X-O Manowar #2, which has spent 2 issues telling me the same story as the first 4 pages of the original comic.
If you want a revival that doesn't waste your time and gets right to the fun, you should be reading the new Popeye comic.

#598163 - 06/07/12 04:08 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Joe Lee]

Says the guy who claims Moby Dick is homosexual propaganda. grin

I realize CGI fascination shortens one's attention span, but I'm not the one who made that claim.

#598164 - 06/07/12 04:09 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Joe Lee]

you should be reading the new Popeye comic.

Written by Roger Langridge.

#598168 - 06/07/12 04:40 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

And we like to support Mr. Langridge why...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/11/n...hical-concerns/

#598171 - 06/07/12 05:46 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Joe Lee]

That's in addition to his being a great cartoonist.

#598173 - 06/07/12 05:52 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Of course.

#598174 - 06/07/12 05:52 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Joe Lee]
Joe Lee Offline

Finally something we agree on.

#600836 - 09/11/12 10:32 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]

Image solicited a 3-issue Cho mini called Guns & Dinos back in September and October (issues 1 and 2, respectively). First issue hasn't arrived yet, and the third issue hasn't solicited. Shocker, I know.

I just received an email from Westfield that this has been cancelled. I want to laugh, but the email also said that Pure Imagination's collection of Kirby & Wood's Sky Masters has also been cancelled (for the second time).

#601460 - 11/15/12 06:01 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]

Cho has a new Wolverine comic soliciting this month. Dunno if it's a one-shot, limited series or what. Strange how he can get that done, but not his creator-owned mini.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley