Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#596946 - 04/24/12 03:05 PM DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Regarding BEFORE WATCHMEN, DC Comics exec Jim Lee says:

I guarantee you that every single one of these creators that’s working on these books, think they can outdo — match or outdo — what was done in the original.

Uh-huh.

Suuuuure.

They'll totally kick WATCHMEN's ass.

So depressing. I used to respect some of the creators involved in this mess, like Darwyn Cooke. My mistake, obviously. If Darwyn Cooke thinks he can outdo Alan Moore, perhaps he should go out and create his own comic rather than cobbling together a direct sequel to some other guy's story.

#596947 - 04/24/12 03:11 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
It's stuff like that which makes you understand that good hype is harder than it looks. For example, it's obvious that Lee's comment is framed in response to the online whining about how these creators are sellouts and/or whores for doing this project. Good hype can't be inherently defensive.

Mike

#596948 - 04/24/12 03:22 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
Lawson Offline

Hearing idiots like Jim Lee brag about outdoing Alan Moore with a cash-sucking sequel reminds me of the story about Jack Kirby, who read an interview with some new guy on the CAPTAIN AMERICA comic.

The new guy said he wanted to produce CAPTAIN AMERICA "in the Kirby tradition."

Kirby grunted and said, "This kid doesn't get it. The Kirby tradition is to go create a new comic."

#596949 - 04/24/12 03:50 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

There is one, and only one, defense of this cash grab.

Jim Lee - "With the worldwide success of the film, there are more WATCHMEN fans than ever before and this is an opportunity to satisfy their hunger for more about these characters while exposing them to some of the best talent in comics today."

Translation - "We're whoring out WATCHMEN to help the comic industry."

Mike

#596950 - 04/24/12 05:41 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
billybates Offline

Loc: ON, CAN
Only a whore would sell out for comic book money. (And only a savvy businessman, tired of drawing comics and looking to advance his career up out the ghetto, would sell out for a piece of potential movie sequels*.)

*Obviously speculation, but why has Adam Hughes hopped-to while All-Star Wonder Woman sits in the hopper? Isn't that as much of a sure-thing cash-grab?

#596952 - 04/24/12 07:40 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: billybates]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: billybates
why has Adam Hughes hopped-to while All-Star Wonder Woman sits in the hopper? Isn't that as much of a sure-thing cash-grab?

Exactly. His involvement in this may even hurt him. I know I'll never buy anything with his name on it again.

#596955 - 04/25/12 03:45 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Adam Hughes in 2006:

"My commitment to ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN is for six issues. My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, penciled and inked, a month. The issues will be released monthly, on time, because we're starting far enough in advance. You will get your ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN every four weeks. I think I have some cool stuff in store. If you cannot, however, approach the notion of me doing a book like this with something resembling basic human optimism and enthusiasm, then I'll thank you to kiss my man-sized ass."

Adam Hughes in 2012:

"Well, I still have a contract; DC never tore it up. I think we'd all like me to get to it eventually. DC has said as much. I would very much like to get it out someday."

laugh

#596956 - 04/25/12 04:17 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
Adam Hughes in 2006:

My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, penciled and inked, a month."

I know this is beating a dead horse, but that is motherbleeping ridiculous. Not everybody can be Jack Kirby, or even Mark Bagley, John Byrne or John Romita Jr, but 10 pages a month? If you just work Monday through Friday, that's a quarter of a page per day. There's no way any super-hero comic book artist should be that slow. That pace has to be due to taking side jobs, either in or out of comics, in addition to the monthly book.

Mike

#596957 - 04/25/12 04:21 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
Lawson Offline

Originally Posted By: MBunge
I know this is beating a dead horse, but that is motherbleeping ridiculous. Not everybody can be Jack Kirby, or even Mark Bagley, John Byrne or John Romita Jr, but 10 pages a month?

And bear in mind that (a) Hughes considered this a Herculean effort worthy of much praise and (b) he couldn't even deliver this much.

#596958 - 04/25/12 04:41 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Which is why I laugh at the notion of this Doctor Manhattan mini. DC has been taking deadlines a little more seriously latey, so I expect he'll just be doing the covers from #2 on.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley