Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#596959 - 04/25/12 04:48 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Adam Hughes gives hope to all of us slow pokes, but seriously, good as he is, how does he get work blowing deadlines like that?!

#596960 - 04/25/12 04:54 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Hughes reminds me of Frank Cho, another guy who specializes in the occasional cheesecake T&A cover.

In 2007, Cho demanded public accolades after completing six consecutive issues of MIGHTY AVENGERS. Each issue took Cho six to ten weeks to deliver. That was after Marvel literally flew out another artist, Brandon Peterson, to draw the backgrounds for him, so he could focus on just the figure work (i.e., the bewbies).

"I had to choose MIGHTY AVENGERS over my family life," Cho said at the time. "I set my wife aside and explained to her the gravity of the situation, and made her understand that I won't be around for her or the kids until I got issue No. 6 done. She was very understanding."

#596961 - 04/25/12 05:50 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
Hey, lay off. It's not like these guys can just go to work and come home, they're not doctors.

#596962 - 04/25/12 06:56 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Jimbo]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Image solicited a 3-issue Cho mini called Guns & Dinos back in September and October (issues 1 and 2, respectively). First issue hasn't arrived yet, and the third issue hasn't solicited. Shocker, I know.

#596963 - 04/25/12 07:57 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
Budman Offline

Loc: Penfield, Ny USA
Originally Posted By: Lawson
Hughes reminds me of Frank Cho, another guy who specializes in the occasional cheesecake T&A cover.

In 2007, Cho demanded public accolades after completing six consecutive issues of MIGHTY AVENGERS. Each issue took Cho six to ten weeks to deliver. That was after Marvel literally flew out another artist, Brandon Peterson, to draw the backgrounds for him, so he could focus on just the figure work (i.e., the bewbies).

"I had to choose MIGHTY AVENGERS over my family life," Cho said at the time. "I set my wife aside and explained to her the gravity of the situation, and made her understand that I won't be around for her or the kids until I got issue No. 6 done. She was very understanding."

Ahhh memories...reminds me of this thread:
http://comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=14704&Number=194221#Post194221

Yep...frank cho sure had it rough at that time...

#596965 - 04/25/12 11:47 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Adam Hughes in 2006:

"My commitment to ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN is for six issues. My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, penciled and inked, a month. The issues will be released monthly, on time, because we're starting far enough in advance. You will get your ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN every four weeks. I think I have some cool stuff in store. If you cannot, however, approach the notion of me doing a book like this with something resembling basic human optimism and enthusiasm, then I'll thank you to kiss my man-sized ass."

Adam Hughes in 2012:

"Well, I still have a contract; DC never tore it up. I think we'd all like me to get to it eventually. DC has said as much. I would very much like to get it out someday."

laugh

Yes, just like I told you months ago, although I don't blame you for forgetting:

http://www.comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=64203&Number=595718#Post595718

Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz
Regarding Adam Hughes and his long-delayed ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN series, The Beat recently linked to one of their old articles about it, from August 2006:

Adam Hughes on Scheduling

which quoted him as saying,

Quote:
My commitment to ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN is for 6 issues. My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, pencilled and inked, a month. The issues will be released monthly, on-time, because we’re starting far enough in advance. You will get your ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN every four weeks.

If he had followed that schedule, he would have finished well over 600 pages by now, so presumably other things have gotten in the way. Man, I had forgotten just how long it has been! And I am really not trying to knock Adam Hughes here, although I know it sounds like it. I was willing to wait for many years for this series if it took that long. Or if he had decided to drop the project, I would be okay with that too, although if he ever made that announcement I missed it.

Hmm, maybe I'd better Google it before I make that statement? Let's see here . . . well, how about that! From just last week:

CBR Interview with Adam Hughes about the fate of ASWW

Quote:
I think we'd all like me to get to it eventually. DC has said as much. I would very much like to get it out someday. It'll be my 'lost project' for a while, and then someday it'll come out.

So it was medical issues with his wife, and needing the faster income of doing covers, that got in the way, basically. Which I have no problem with at all. Bless him and his family, and never mind the WW book, we can all live without it.

But how doing this new Watchmen book fits into this, that is still kind of a puzzle.

#596966 - 04/25/12 11:50 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Oops, I posted in two threads at once and got confused. What I wrote in the other thread and meant to write here was:

Also, in one of those links, Hughes notes that it would be kinda awkward right now to have his WW book competing with the New52 version, which is reasonable enough I guess. But also, he just hasn't sat down and finished it.

Allen makes a good point that it seems almost impossible that Hughes could really draw all of this new Dr. Manhattan series under deadline. Unless he already started on it a year ago? We'll see.

#596967 - 04/26/12 12:29 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Real Hunter, Alll the time. Offline

Adam Hughes in 2006:

"My commitment to ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN is for six issues. My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, penciled and inked, a month. The issues will be released monthly, on time, because we're starting far enough in advance. You will get your ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN every four weeks. I think I have some cool stuff in store. If you cannot, however, approach the notion of me doing a book like this with something resembling basic human optimism and enthusiasm, then I'll thank you to kiss my man-sized ass."

Adam Hughes in 2012:

"Well, I still have a contract; DC never tore it up. I think we'd all like me to get to it eventually. DC has said as much. I would very much like to get it out someday."

laugh

Yes, just like I told you months ago, although I don't blame you for forgetting:

http://www.comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=64203&Number=595718#Post595718

Regarding Adam Hughes and his long-delayed ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN series, The Beat recently linked to one of their old articles about it, from August 2006:

Adam Hughes on Scheduling

which quoted him as saying,

Quote:
My commitment to ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN is for 6 issues. My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, pencilled and inked, a month. The issues will be released monthly, on-time, because we’re starting far enough in advance. You will get your ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN every four weeks.

If he had followed that schedule, he would have finished well over 600 pages by now, so presumably other things have gotten in the way. Man, I had forgotten just how long it has been! And I am really not trying to knock Adam Hughes here, although I know it sounds like it. I was willing to wait for many years for this series if it took that long. Or if he had decided to drop the project, I would be okay with that too, although if he ever made that announcement I missed it.

Hmm, maybe I'd better Google it before I make that statement? Let's see here . . . well, how about that! From just last week:

CBR Interview with Adam Hughes about the fate of ASWW

Quote:
I think we'd all like me to get to it eventually. DC has said as much. I would very much like to get it out someday. It'll be my 'lost project' for a while, and then someday it'll come out.

So it was medical issues with his wife, and needing the faster income of doing covers, that got in the way, basically. Which I have no problem with at all. Bless him and his family, and never mind the WW book, we can all live without it.

But how doing this new Watchmen book fits into this, that is still kind of a puzzle.

I know first hand what that's like. Well except I don't draw comics for a living...

#596970 - 04/26/12 11:21 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Lawson Offline

Yeah, it's a safe bet your post was where I first saw that.

#596971 - 04/26/12 11:25 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Lawson Offline

Allen makes a good point that it seems almost impossible that Hughes could really draw all of this new Dr. Manhattan series under deadline. Unless he already started on it a year ago? We'll see.

It's possible Hughes will be aided by one or more ghost artists who will do much of the heavy lifting. Just as Marvel dispatched an assistant artist to help Frank Cho with MIGHTY AVENGERS.

I can imagine Hughes penciling Dr. Manhattan and one or two other primary characters, then leaving all other artwork -- the other figures, the backgrounds, and the inking -- to a team of much cheaper artists who will imitate his style.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley