Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#596974 - 04/26/12 02:16 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Lawson
Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz
Allen makes a good point that it seems almost impossible that Hughes could really draw all of this new Dr. Manhattan series under deadline. Unless he already started on it a year ago? We'll see.

It's possible Hughes will be aided by one or more ghost artists who will do much of the heavy lifting. Just as Marvel dispatched an assistant artist to help Frank Cho with MIGHTY AVENGERS.

I can imagine Hughes penciling Dr. Manhattan and one or two other primary characters, then leaving all other artwork -- the other figures, the backgrounds, and the inking -- to a team of much cheaper artists who will imitate his style.

We should remember that collaborating on art isn't a new thing. In ye olden days, it wasn't unusual for an artist to do "break downs" and then another the finished art. And, of course, inkers would sometimes fill in a lot of detail over the artist's pencils. I picked up THE THING #2 recently and while it was "drawn" by Ron Wilson, John Byrne inked it so heavily that Wilson's work is largely undetectable.

The difference is that everyone would get credit for their contribution and artists and inkers were usually allowed to keep their own style. One of the things editors had to do back then was find the right combination of artists and inker, not hiring people to mimic some lazy bones who can't do his freakin' job.

Mike

#596975 - 04/26/12 04:19 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Right you are, on all counts, Mike.

Coincidentally, I've been reading stories lately about the Bronze Age in comics -- late 1960s through the 1970s -- and you see a lot about other artists being called in to help with deadline pinches, often without getting credit.

Neal Adams evidently passed pages around parties more than once and asked his fellow party-goers to take turns inking them. Some of the folks there were professional artists; others were not, but hell, they could hold a pen.

#596976 - 04/26/12 10:08 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Around parties? You make it sound like that was a special event. No, that was standard procedure at Continuity Associates. Look up "The Crusty Bunkers" (sometimes called "Rusty Clunkers").

#596986 - 04/27/12 01:43 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

The below article lists some more opportunities to mine Alan Moore's past works. Two of my favorites were a "V for Vendetta" sequel and a "Killing Joke" prequel.

I think they missed a few. Why not majke V an ongoing series, and a "Watchmen Beyond" a future version of the Watchmen in the Batman Beyond world.

"Twilight of the Superheroes," anyone?

Maybe a retro style "Justice League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" a year long, weekly retro crossover sort of JSA done in that Sandman Mystery Theater style, pitting the public domain characters and the Golden age JSA against each other.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/24/alan-moore-comics-spinoffs/

#596997 - 04/27/12 11:06 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Joe Lee]

The only DC book I was left following, iZombie, is coming to an end because of Chris Roberson's great sense of moral decency regarding this matter. Bravo.

#596998 - 04/27/12 11:11 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]

On an urelated note, Marvel has dredged up an unused Man-Thing script by Steve Gerber and is putting it out as a miniseries, illustrated by Kevin Nowlan.

#597025 - 04/29/12 06:51 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
Gerald Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
If Darwyn Cooke thinks he can outdo Alan Moore, perhaps he should go out and create his own comic rather than cobbling together a direct sequel to some other guy's story.

That's good that they think that. You don't want someone working on something thinking, "I can never live up to so-and-so."

#597026 - 04/29/12 06:56 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
Gerald Offline

Originally Posted By: MBunge
There's no way any super-hero comic book artist should be that slow. That pace has to be due to taking side jobs, either in or out of comics, in addition to the monthly book.

Mike

I agree but then again, comic book consumers these days, who are mostly adults, are super critical with regard to story and art. People criticizing Ethan Van Sciver for his over rendering and saying his anatomy of characters is incorrect.

But they should really figure out how to cut corners. Not every panel needs to have a super detailed background.

#597027 - 04/29/12 06:57 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Gerald]

JMS has been pretending he's more talented than Alan Moore for fifteen years or more. Tells it to his shaving mirror every morning.

#597030 - 04/29/12 11:40 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

In an interview with cbr he rated himself as a comic writer, I think it was a 7, with Alan Moore being a 10.

In regards to All-Star Wonder Woman, DC probably didn't see much value in having him invest his time on a character that doesn't sell. I can't blame the artists too much if the management lets the deadlines slip so much.

If Terry Dodson's art on Wonder Woman couldn't make the book a top seller, I doubt Adam Hughes could fare that much better.

Edited by Gerald (04/29/12 11:44 PM)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley