Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#597038 - 04/30/12 07:16 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Gerald]
Allen Montgomery Offline

When asked to directly compare himself to Moore, of course JMS is going to act humble. Yet the occasional little narcissistic comment will slip out, like Rising Stars being Watchmen taken to the next level.

Hughes is a better artist than Dodson (who got his chops copying Hughes). His WW would sell, at least for a mini. When I worked in a shop we had a problem with people stealing the Hughes covers off WW.

#597053 - 04/30/12 02:03 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

He wasn't asked to compare himself to Moore. The question was something along the lines of "how do you rate yourself as a comic writer."

He said he was a 7 with Alan Moore being a 10.

If he said that Rising Stars is Watchmen taken to the next level, maybe that was just promotional hype.

Hughes is the better artist, but Dodson can atleast put out a monthly comic with the occasional fill-in. I really doubt that All-Star Wonder Woman would sell enough to have DC put all other Hughes work on hold like posters, covers, statue designs, etc.

#597058 - 04/30/12 04:17 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Gerald]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Pretty sure Hughes is a freelancer and can decide which jobs he wants to do.

#597067 - 04/30/12 09:13 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Gerald Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Pretty sure Hughes is a freelancer and can decide which jobs he wants to do.

I thought he signed a contract with DC Comics for the time being. It seems like the majority of his recent work is all DC related.

However, if he is a freelancer, and DC doesn't want him to pay him for an All-Star Wonder Woman series, I doubt he can force them to.

#597115 - 05/01/12 10:27 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Gerald]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Gerald, you make valid points, but read those interviews with Adam Hughes that I linked to in my post above. DC would be thrilled to have a completed WW book from Hughes to publish, although right now might not be the best time to publish it if it were completed, which currently it is not. Despite their surface similarities, Hughes is still a lot more popular than Dodson for whatever reason. I like them both, but I have to admit that Hughes just seems to bring something extra to everything he does.

You are correct that Hughes has an exclusive contract with DC at the moment. See here:

http://www.justsayah.com/news/2012/01/87/Adam_+_Vertigo_=_Best_Friends!/

But those exclusive contracts usually call for a certain amount of work in a given period, leaving some flexibility as to exactly what that work will be. It sounds like this contract may have just been for covers, maybe? I'm not sure if the Dr. Manhattan series is part of that contract or another thing entirely? But I'm fairly certain that the WW series was an entirely different contract from back in 2006.

#597873 - 05/17/12 06:54 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Gerald Offline

Warner Bros is selling a Watchmen toaster that burns a rorschach pattern in the bread.

#597874 - 05/17/12 06:57 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Gerald]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
I'm selling toilet paper with the same design.

#597875 - 05/18/12 01:45 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Charles Reece]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
Watchmen toaster? What the ...?

#597895 - 05/19/12 04:44 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: shjonescrk]
arthur pendragon Offline

Originally Posted By: shjonescrk
Watchmen toaster? What the ...?

It's all about the bread!!! wink

#597956 - 05/23/12 10:41 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: arthur pendragon]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
What, no jokes about which will be more entertaining, the prequels or the toast?

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley