Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#596985 - 04/27/12 12:35 PM Re: tarantino's immoral films [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Well, they don't so much add sex as depict what wasn't as explicit in the books. Some fans have been bitching about that. Along those lines, some of the best scenes this season weren't actually in the book, because the characters involved didn't have point of view chapters.

#597045 - 04/30/12 09:12 AM Re: tarantino's immoral films [Re: Charles Reece]
madget Offline

Well, you can only take away so much from stills, but everyone looks pretty good, anyway. Looks like it could be a fun role for DiCaprio, although I'm not generally a big fan.

I hate that the posters pitch it as "THE NEW FILM BY QUENTIN TARANTINO" in lieu of the title. But Quentin's created an environment where he can get away with those things. He's made a brand of himself without dumbing down his product.

K

#597046 - 04/30/12 09:13 AM Re: tarantino's immoral films [Re: Charles Reece]
madget Offline

(removed double post)

#597047 - 04/30/12 09:22 AM Re: tarantino's immoral films [Re: madget]
madget Offline

Also, having rewatched it now, I'm more sympathetic to the pro-Deathproof point of view, which I think I mentioned in another psot recently. I do think the girls in the second act are overwritten and that the movie has its problems, but maybe there's something to be said for the criticism re: male reactions to the film. DP is good stuff.

K

#597057 - 04/30/12 03:15 PM Re: tarantino's immoral films [Re: madget]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: madget
Also, having rewatched it now, I'm more sympathetic to the pro-Deathproof point of view

Trust your first instinct.

Mike

#597149 - 05/02/12 03:26 AM Re: tarantino's immoral films [Re: Charles Reece]
Stephen Parkes Offline

Loc: The Bristol, Cuba St
Originally Posted By: Charles Reece
Stephen, have you given GOT a try yet?
No, but if I'm still in the mood for fantasy after American Gods then it might be next.

#598181 - 06/07/12 11:14 PM Re: django unchained trailer [Re: Stephen Parkes]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a

#598270 - 06/10/12 01:51 PM Re: django unchained trailer [Re: Charles Reece]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Only one usage of the 70's style graphics, at the end. He'd be wise to steer clear of that completely, but I never expect wisdom from Tarantino.

Quote:
How can you enjoy the work of a director that just cuts and pastes scenes from better films. He is the equivalent to that kid that did not do his essay so he just cut pieces from others and sloppily threw it into his own.

#598287 - 06/10/12 10:53 PM Re: django unchained trailer [Re: Allen Montgomery]
madget Offline

What a stupid analogy.

As for the trailer, it looks really entertaining. But yeah -- I wish they'd cast someone other than Jamie Foxx. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Waltz as the Bounty Hunter either, he still reminds me too much of his previous QT character; but it all looks engaging, at least.

K

#601595 - 12/15/12 12:34 AM Re: tarantino's django unchained [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Sounds like yet another vehicle of historical bullshit sung to the same old tune of Sweet Sweetback's Badasssss Song.

Samuel L. Jackson just described Django Unchained on Letterman's show as "Shaft on Horseback."

I wasn't previously aware that Miike's movie from a few years ago, Sukiyaki Western Django (which Tarantino was also in), was a remake of a series of spaghetti westerns from the 60's. This is another case, like Inglorious Basterds, of Tarantino lifing a title and a general theme then just meandering off on his own tangent.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley