Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#596982 - 04/27/12 11:35 AM Actually, no, it was Joe Simon
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
I'm glad the Avengers movie is winning great reviews in Europe. Should be a hit in the U.S. next week.

But -- gah -- again, just like with last summer's Captain America movie, we're getting a load of people crediting every single one of the Avengers to Stan Lee.

“Over the years, the character of Captain America, as created by iconic graphic novelist Stan Lee, has been used to represent the ultimate military warrior and leader."

"Even if you have never opened a comic book, you are probably familiar with characters created by Stan Lee: Spiderman, Captain America, The Fantastic Four, The Silver Surfer, Thor and The X-Men."

Etc., etc.

I know it's anal-retentive fanboy behavior, but ...

CAPTAIN AMERICA WAS CREATED BY JOE SIMON AND JACK KIRBY.

Not Stan Lee. Simon and Kirby.

As for the other Avengers in the movie, Lee co-created them with artists Kirby and Don Heck.

That is all.

#596983 - 04/27/12 12:01 PM Re: Actually, no, it was Joe Simon [Re: Lawson]
Joe Lee Offline

Exactly and wasn't Lee an intern or some such thing when the first Captain America comic was published?

Regarding the Avengers credits, Stan Lee himself answers the question, "He's not the guy to talk to..."
http://news.moviefone.com/2012/04/24/sta...l?ref=moviefone

#596984 - 04/27/12 12:26 PM Re: Actually, no, it was Joe Simon [Re: Joe Lee]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Wait, so the Avengers movie doesn't even list Kirby's name in the credits? So far, he's been credited in the other Marvel movies.

I don't know why there wouldn't be a bit saying, "Based on the Marvel Comics characters. Avengers created by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Joe Simon and Don Heck."

#596987 - 04/27/12 01:48 PM Re: Actually, no, it was Joe Simon [Re: Lawson]
Joe Lee Offline

Reading Mr. Lee dodge the question was almost worse than Rick Santorum trying to dodge the "will you endorse Romney" question on CNN.

#596988 - 04/27/12 01:54 PM Re: Actually, no, it was Joe Simon [Re: Joe Lee]
Joe Lee Offline

There is an editorial here where they give a nice overview of the Kirby Avengers, and the Alan Moore Watchmen ethical questions...

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/18/creator-rights-before-watchmen-avengers-moore-kirby/

#596989 - 04/27/12 02:47 PM Re: Actually, no, it was Joe Simon [Re: Joe Lee]
billybates Offline

Loc: ON, CAN
"Graphic Novelist?" Polish that turd, lazy media.

#596991 - 04/27/12 05:44 PM Re: Actually, no, it was Joe Simon [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Lawson
Wait, so the Avengers movie doesn't even list Kirby's name in the credits?

Kirby does get a "created by" credit along with Stan.

Mike

#596992 - 04/27/12 05:46 PM Re: Actually, no, it was Joe Simon [Re: Joe Lee]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
There is an editorial here where they give a nice overview of the Kirby Avengers, and the Alan Moore Watchmen ethical questions...

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/18/creator-rights-before-watchmen-avengers-moore-kirby/

If by "nice overview" you mean "self-righteous tripe", I completely agree.

Mike

#596994 - 04/27/12 09:31 PM Re: Actually, no, it was Joe Simon [Re: MBunge]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
You really don't like any outside concerns to affect your entertainment, eh?

#596999 - 04/28/12 12:44 AM Re: Actually, no, it was Joe Simon [Re: MBunge]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: MBunge
Originally Posted By: Joe Lee

If by "nice overview" you mean "self-righteous tripe", I completely agree.

Mike
Well, as much I as I'm willing to admit your expertise when it comes to "self-righteous tripe" an expertise so thorough I dare say "self-righteous tripe" must be your first language, as you are extremely fluent, but I wasn't referring to the opinions and conclusions. When I mentioned the "nice overview" I was talking about the actual overview of the facts, that was part of the editorial. Did you find any of the information to be incorrect?

Other than when he mistakenly says "Jack Kirby co-created most of the cast of that film, alongside Stan Lee and others." He was obviously meaning to say the "characters" not "cast." But his summary of Kirby's contractual dealings with Marvel, Marvels contracts in general, the history itself, was any of that out of line or factually incorrect?

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley