Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#597085 - 05/01/12 11:33 AM My AVENGERS review (maybe spoilers in discussion)
Stephen Parkes Offline

Loc: The Bristol, Cuba St

#597119 - 05/01/12 10:42 PM Re: My AVENGERS review [Re: Stephen Parkes]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Sounds good! Thanks for the review! I'll try to keep the issues you bring up in mind when I see it.

#597139 - 05/02/12 01:43 AM Re: My AVENGERS review [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
Glad to hear you liked it Stephen! I'm with you 100% on Mark Ruffalo's performance as Banner, he knocked Edward Norton's attempt out of the water.

I also posted a (totally spoiler free!) review over on Geekin-Out.com, if you're keen to read more praise for the kick ass movie. I definitely plan on seeing at least one more time on the big-screen.

If anyone could shed some light on why it was released in New Zealand and other countries so far ahead of North America, I'd be keen to here it. The early release is pretty unusual and I'm really curious as to the reason behind it.

#597150 - 05/02/12 04:04 AM Re: My AVENGERS review [Re: Jimbo]
Stephen Parkes Offline

Loc: The Bristol, Cuba St
I thought I gushed a bit too much in my review. But it's just so rare that I go to a Hollywood 'summer' blockbuster with moderate expectations and have them more than met. It has its flaws, but unlike the flaws of The Dark Knight (which is also rather good) they didn't bug me at the time.

By the way, James, I've added a spoiler warning to the subject line, so I want to ask: what was the thing you felt should have been included, but they left out?

I can only think of... okay, one more warning, mild spoilers ...

the mansion. Was that what you had in mind?

Edited by Stephen Parkes (05/02/12 04:28 AM)

#597152 - 05/02/12 04:23 AM Re: My AVENGERS review [Re: Stephen Parkes]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
SPOILER-TASTIC:

Funnily enough, I hadn't even thought about the mansion, but that's also a good point. Personally I didn't miss the mansion too much, although at the end when they all appeared to be climbing into sports cars I did think for a moment that they were at the mansion.

The thing I thought they really missed out on, unless I missed it and made a total ass of myself in that review, was their battle cry, "Avengers Assemble!". The main reason, perhaps, for not including it is that it probably would sound rather hokey being screamed by Chris Evans (or any of the cast) however I was still disappointed the film didn't include the line in some small degree. Even having a character say it in hushed tones, perhaps a dramatic whisper, would have been suitable.

As I mentioned, it's not really a huge deal -I loved the movie. Just a small tidbit I felt could have been worked in easily and was sadly left out.

#597334 - 05/07/12 11:05 AM Re: My AVENGERS review (maybe spoilers in discussion) [Re: Stephen Parkes]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
That's a spot on review of a kick ass thrill ride that lacks the thematic depth of something like The Dark Knight or even Superman II. While I've liked a lot of his past work, I've never been a Whedon fanboy but the way he managed all the stuff crammed into the Avengers, particularly what he did with Ruffalo's Banner and Johansson's Black Widow, was pretty damned impressive.

Mike

#597335 - 05/07/12 01:22 PM Re: My AVENGERS review (maybe spoilers in discussion) [Re: MBunge]
Allen Montgomery Offline

With all the source material to draw from, it's amazing how badly the movie dragged. The in-fighting was pointless, but then so was Secret Wars, so that's forgiveable. But that 15-20 minute lull between the second and third acts? No way. The action finally started at one hour-forty, by which point it didn't even matter, and the best (i.e. non-whiney) parts of which were already shown on the commercials.

#597376 - 05/07/12 09:33 PM Re: My AVENGERS review (maybe spoilers in discussion) [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
I went to an Avengers mArathon on Thursday at my local multiplex. For $30 bucks we saw "Iron Man", "Incredible Hulk", "Iron Man 2", "Thor", "Captain America: The First Avenger" and then at 12:05 a.m. Friday "The Avengers" -- all in 2-D. Besides the film, we also got lanyards, buttons, removable tattoos and one lucky person (me!) even got a ballcap.

Overall I'd say the movie was good but not great. Since many others have commented about the the good parts of the film, I'll mention the things that I think did not work.

I think Whedon wrote Nick Fury & Thor without much confidence. They both seemed unsure of themselves in both word and body language. And they should have let Thor take Loki back to Asgard. Since Loki -- a teleporter -- was on Earth to prepare for an invasion, the notion that a SHIELD helicarrier was a better place for him than Asgard was foolish.

And what was up with setting a third of the film on the helicarrier? That part really dragged.

Hawkeye was on Loki's side for over half the film, but as soon as he says he's OK and his eyes become unclouded the others trust him implicitly. Like the Norse God of Trickery couldn't have faked his recovery.

And lastly, the aliens. Not enough of a build-up or motivation for them. In the first five minutes of the film we hear their leader say they want to invade Earth. Then nothing with them for over 90 minutes.

Maybe I'll feel differently after I see the IMAX 3-D version on Wednesday.

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#597379 - 05/07/12 09:50 PM Re: My AVENGERS review (maybe spoilers in discussion) [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Allen Montgomery Offline

How long was that event? Like 14 hours? AAarggh!

Your criticism is dead on.

#597390 - 05/08/12 11:35 AM Re: My AVENGERS review (maybe spoilers in discussion) [Re: Ted Kilvington]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Ted Kilvington
Overall I'd say the movie was good but not great. Since many others have commented about the the good parts of the film, I'll mention the things that I think did not work.

You left out the biggest one. How does The Hulk go from being berserk rampager that smashes anything in his path to helpful teammate for the final battle?

Mike

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley