Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#548220 - 06/16/09 10:52 PM Deviant Art?
Joe Lee Offline

Does anyone have a Deviant Art page, any advice? Is it worth having the full subscription, do you have any recommendations on using it?

#597383 - 05/08/12 03:06 AM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Joe Lee]
Gerald Offline

How did the Deviant Art page go? Is it pretty easy to use?

#597393 - 05/08/12 12:07 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

Yeah, I like it. And the full subscription is pretty cheap if you get the year.

http://gregjolly.deviantart.com/

#597414 - 05/08/12 01:29 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Joe Lee]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Hey, lots of new Greg Jolly artwork! Field Guide for Dragon Slayers is obviously going to have abundant well crafted illustrations, which I'd expect, but it also sounds like a pretty darn marketable concept. Best of luck when the book comes out. After publication, will you make the individual drawings available as prints at Deviant Art?

#597416 - 05/08/12 01:47 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: MightyQuin]
Joe Lee Offline

Hey thanks! I hadn't thought about that, sounds like a good idea.

#597431 - 05/09/12 04:22 AM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Joe Lee]
Gerald Offline

That pie mask looks both delicious and gross. You have an awesome page.

I'm reading that page views increase with a premium membership? I'm guessing that having a premium account puts your pieces to the front of searches?

Either way the price is pretty good so I'll get it regardless.

#597440 - 05/09/12 10:25 AM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Gerald]
Joe Lee Offline

Thanks!

And I don't think the premium membership affected page views all that much.

If it did I didn't notice, but page views seem to be directly connected to a few things. Gallery uploads, spread 'em out because each one gets you views from other DA members. Group memberships which also gets you a lot of internal views. But it's just increasing the pageviews of stuff you've already posted, by posting them to group pages. Outside promotion, things like mentions on twitter or someone posts your stuff on their blog with a link back to your DA page. And quantity seems to help to, the more stuff you have the more people come back.

There seems to be two distinct groups there. Pros and kids. People who consider themselves artists, professional, semi-professional, hobbyists, all really good artists, and rest seems to be a pretty large community of "fans." Who are there for fun.

It's like a hotel booking a business conference during Spring Break. So it leads to some really interesting interactions sometimes.

What the premium membership does do, is gives you access to more statistics, which may or may not be useful, but the big difference for me was it gave me a lot more functionality. The free membership has a lot of restrictions and limitations with your page layout.

#597452 - 05/09/12 01:06 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Joe Lee]
Real Hunter, Alll the time. Offline

I have one on there but it's a free one and I only have one image on there. I've had it for like seven years but found the initial set up to be cumbersome.

I guess since I have stacked up quite a bit work in the last few years and maybe since I'm trying to do commissions now I should probably pay a bit more attention to it.

#597455 - 05/09/12 01:57 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
Real Hunter, Alll the time. Offline

Joe, if I add a bunch of work to my current deviant art and then decide later to upgrade to a premium membership, will I have any issues with having to re-upload stuff if I want to make my layout more dynamic?

#597472 - 05/09/12 08:54 PM Re: Deviant Art? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
Joe Lee Offline

I did the same thing. I had my free membership for a few years finally decided to try it out and see if it was worth it.

Didn't need to fix anything or fuss around. Just played around with the new stuff.

The whole page is very modular so after you upgrade you just have more options, and more modules to choose from. More options show up in pretty much everywhere. I guess you can get pretty involved, with different skins and other things I haven't really explored too much yet. I'm not sure but I think you get included in the daily deviations on the main page too. The yearly subscription was the only price that seemed like a decent price to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley