Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#597680 - 05/12/12 06:40 PM Re: President Obama endorses same-sex marriage [Re: shjonescrk]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Would I prefer if a drone killed children by accident than if a soldier flipped out and went on a shooting spree? Is that the question?

#597682 - 05/12/12 07:11 PM Re: President Obama endorses same-sex marriage [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Yep. Neither was programmed/ordered to do that, so which is preferable?

#597684 - 05/12/12 07:28 PM Re: President Obama endorses same-sex marriage [Re: Charles Reece]

The drone, obviously. When a drone does it, the machine has not malfunctioned. When a soldier does it, something has gone wrong in the helmet area. The drone doesn't have to be counseled afterwards, apply for jobs in the future, or have family and friends who must bear the moral burden of association.

#597686 - 05/12/12 09:50 PM Re: President Obama endorses same-sex marriage [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
I have read that some small percentage of drone pilots are having trouble with PTSD, despite having directed attacks from the safety of their control room in Nevada (or wherever). Not quite the same thing as what you were talking about, maybe, but using the drone is not totally without consequences for the people who have to control it.

And the issue of consequences for the people who are attacked by drones, of course, is still wide open. They probably don't care whether they and their families and friends were attacked in person or by remote control. In fact, being attacked by a faceless machine seems a more likely way to turn somebody against the entire country that directed the attacks.

But having said all that, while I don't support all of his methods, I do think that Obama's policies overall have been directed toward extricating us from all of these various conflicts, rather than expanding them. So in the long run I would hope that we would be killing fewer people, both actual foes and innocent bystanders.

#597696 - 05/13/12 06:51 AM Re: President Obama endorses same-sex marriage [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
shjonescrk Offline

Loc: Airdrie, Scotland
However, the children or anyone else dies in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq or Yemen because of the actions of the USA, it will have consequences for the USA. Now whether that means the war comes home to America or it's Americans being killed elsewhere in the world it will happen. I think it's called Blowback ...

#597697 - 05/13/12 01:06 PM Re: President Obama endorses same-sex marriage [Re: shjonescrk]

I'm not usually a USA-elitist, but I'll start worrying when someone comes up with something more clever than running a plane into a building (both of which were too big to begin with) or blowing up their own underwear.

#597737 - 05/14/12 11:47 AM Re: President Obama endorses same-sex marriage [Re: Allen Montgomery]
shjonescrk Offline

You reap what you sow.

#597749 - 05/14/12 01:26 PM Re: President Obama endorses same-sex marriage [Re: shjonescrk]

We've sown a lot more than we've reaped.

#597757 - 05/14/12 01:47 PM Re: President Obama endorses same-sex marriage [Re: Allen Montgomery]
shjonescrk Offline

So as long as more of those funny foreigners are killed than Yanks it'll be okay.

Anyway, Former Head of CIA Counter Terrorism has some interesting thoughts on the matter.

Eventually, one of the terrorists will commit another atrocity on US soil and then how much more of your freedom are you willing to give up just to be safe?

#597760 - 05/14/12 02:13 PM Re: President Obama endorses same-sex marriage [Re: shjonescrk]

That's not what I'm saying at all.

We deserve all the ill will and hatred we get from other around the globe. And more. We've done much more damage to other countries and their economies than we've seen blowback. But the saving grace here is that our enemies are so incredibly stupid. The most effective retaliatory effort we've ever seen the attacks of 9/11 merely took advantage of a pressure point where we were equally stupid (airplanes with enough fuel to fly coast-to-coast without stopping slammed into hundred-story buildings).

Originally Posted By: shjonescrk
Eventually, one of the terrorists will commit another atrocity on US soil and then how much more of your freedom are you willing to give up just to be safe?

How much freedom am *I* willing to give up? None. The areas where terrorists are most likely to target, where they could potentially do the most visible damage, mean very little to me. But unfortunately the decision making process doesn't work like that.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >