Topic Options
#597836 - 05/17/12 08:57 AM comics done on pastel paper with dry media?
Real Hunter, Alll the time. Offline

Yay or nay?

I'm thinking on whether or not it's in my best interest to go big on some sequentials and with this medium.

Any success stories or examples out there you all know about? Have you tried it yourself?

#597840 - 05/17/12 10:40 AM Re: comics done on pastel paper with dry media? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
Joe Lee Offline

Wouldn't it kind of depend on the subject matter, the story? If the medium suits the story you're trying to tell, without being distracting, why not.

#597844 - 05/17/12 12:39 PM Re: comics done on pastel paper with dry media? [Re: Joe Lee]

Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
Wouldn't it kind of depend on the subject matter, the story? If the medium suits the story you're trying to tell, without being distracting, why not.

Yea I was wondering about that?

I'm sure a Bigfoot story, or a monster like one, or pulp mystery even would lend itself easily to that.

But...

Why not try other genres too? It might bring out a different beast so to speak.

#597850 - 05/17/12 01:37 PM Re: comics done on pastel paper with dry media? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
Joe Lee Offline

exactly

it could be genius

or it might distract too much from the story

sometimes you have to get out of your own way and just art

#597856 - 05/17/12 02:26 PM Re: comics done on pastel paper with dry media? [Re: Joe Lee]
MightyQuin Offline

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
You're talking about pastel pencils or chalk on pastel paper, is that it? Pastel paper has a rough texture, a little like watercolor paper, so it would be hard to get tiny details on it with colored pencils or chalk, but if you're not going to have 8 panels per page maybe that's not really an important quality for this. I don't know,tell us more about it. Are you planning to work really large format for this? B&W or color?

#597858 - 05/17/12 02:39 PM Re: comics done on pastel paper with dry media? [Re: MightyQuin]

I was thinking of selecting already tinted pastel/charcoal paper, you know the colors they come with already? Meaning no white. I'd work backwards to forwards color wise.

I'd employ conte sticks, and pastel sticks, maybe over some loose pencils.

I would indeed work large! 18x24 or larger so that way I could work in details, and have about 5 or so panels.

No colored pencils though unless it was a white or light color and I wanted to add hi-lights or soemthing.

#597863 - 05/17/12 03:23 PM Re: comics done on pastel paper with dry media? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
MightyQuin Offline

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Reproduction might be a little tricky, but sounds like this would make for some decidedly different comics, and different is good!

#597866 - 05/17/12 03:57 PM Re: comics done on pastel paper with dry media? [Re: MightyQuin]

Originally Posted By: MightyQuin
Reproduction might be a little tricky, but sounds like this would make for some decidedly different comics, and different is good!

Yea, I guess I'm just imaginging giant comic pages in an art gallery or something. Maybe I've had my head stuck in "fine art", too much these past couple of years?

#597882 - 05/18/12 07:36 PM Re: comics done on pastel paper with dry media? [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
I think Kyle Baker may have done something similar once, maybe on his Shadow issues, or on covers?

I usually love the way those turn out in figure drawing classes. You should give it a try!

#597883 - 05/18/12 07:37 PM Re: comics done on pastel paper with dry media? [Re: Peter Urkowitz]

I've been working on traditional materials as it is, but yea I would love to take it up a notch!

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley