Topic Options
#597916 - 05/20/12 04:54 PM Colleen Doran is Foxy!
MightyQuin Offline

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
So maybe this is not really News to anyone, but besides the foxy photos she has an interesting blog with frequent commentary by Carla Speed McNeil.

http://adistantsoil.com/2012/05/13/a-skulk-of-foxes-life-among-the-garden-cuisinarts/

#597918 - 05/20/12 05:15 PM Re: Colleen Doran is Foxy! [Re: MightyQuin]
Real Hunter, Alll the time. Offline

I've had a few awkward exchanged with her and some pleasant ones with both. My first con I didn't know how to talk to people behind the table much less Women creators. Sheesh.

#597920 - 05/20/12 06:02 PM Re: Colleen Doran is Foxy! [Re: Real Hunter, Alll the time.]
Alexander Ness Offline

Loc: Minnesota
She has a reputation for being quick of wit and also rather sharp of tongue. So be nice, and enjoy her vivacious being, but be respectful. I love her art, have said hello once. And that is good.

I really respect her mind, actually, I think she is someone who takes care of business in a business that is bloody brutal.

#597921 - 05/20/12 09:39 PM Re: Colleen Doran is Foxy! [Re: Alexander Ness]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
She used to post here, but it got real nasty. Can't remember why, though.

#597924 - 05/21/12 12:43 AM Re: Colleen Doran is Foxy! [Re: Charles Reece]
Allen Montgomery Offline

She actually put out some comics work recently, a couple of nice hardcover OGN's, Manga Man and Gone to Amerikay. The art on both is very nice (especially the latter), although the stories range from corn to schmaltz (she didn't write either of them). I'm glad to see her working with more immediately compensating contracts, but sad to see her working apparently as a gun-for-hire. The digital lettering is pretty bland, also.

Vertigo gives the copyright on Gone to Amerikay to her and the writer (and not Warners), which is interesting.

#597934 - 05/21/12 02:36 PM Re: Colleen Doran is Foxy! [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MightyQuin Offline

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Now that you all mention it, I do recollect that she used to post here. There was some acrimony at one point although I'm vague on that, and she stopped posting.

Yeah, she seems to have coupled good business expertise along with her creative talents and you're right, Alex, she is clever and outspoken.

#597935 - 05/21/12 02:40 PM Re: Colleen Doran is Foxy! [Re: Charles Reece]
Alexander Ness Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Charles Reece
She used to post here, but it got real nasty. Can't remember why, though.

All pause and turn to look at Lawson...

#597940 - 05/21/12 06:28 PM Re: Colleen Doran is Foxy! [Re: Alexander Ness]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
I think Doran is just kinda choosy about how she spends time online. I don't remember any particular argument here scaring her off. I had a nice, informative discussion about copyright and work-for-hire on her Facebook page a few weeks ago. She's tough but fair.

#597943 - 05/21/12 07:38 PM Re: Colleen Doran is Foxy! [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Real Hunter, Alll the time. Offline

Originally Posted By: Peter Urkowitz
I think Doran is just kinda choosy about how she spends time online. I don't remember any particular argument here scaring her off. I had a nice, informative discussion about copyright and work-for-hire on her Facebook page a few weeks ago. She's tough but fair.

I'd love to know her thoughts on that!

I'm currently in a position where people are asking me stuff and I'm trying to find a correct way to answer w/o screwing myself.

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley