Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#597962 - 05/23/12 01:38 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Ted Kilvington]
IvanJim Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
No need. There's a slim chance that the toast might have some redeeming value (depending on what bread is used). The prequels will be inedible.

#597965 - 05/23/12 05:58 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: IvanJim]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
D'OH!

#598123 - 06/06/12 12:41 AM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MightyQuin]
HouseOfMisterE Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL

haha!

#598125 - 06/06/12 01:00 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: HouseOfMisterE]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Saw this at Best Buy yesterday:

What are elements that relate these three films to one another? Next to it is a complation of 300, Troy and Alexander. Someone at AOL/Time-Warner higher than the DC Comics division is very aware of the Alan Moore situation and is also very willing to capitalize on it.

(From Hell and LXG were both Twentieth Century Fox, btw)

#598141 - 06/07/12 12:12 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

I picked up the first issue of Minutemen, largely out of curiosity and I ended up buying it, it was pretty good. I'm a huge Darwyn Cooke fan so maybe that isn't the most objective view of the whole prequel series, and I might not like the others so much, but it was a decent retro style comic, a dark and serious golden age homage, a little slow to start, but it seems like a fun series, worth giving a chance.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who liked Cooke's Final Frontier or his Spirit series. To compare it to something not by Cooke, I'd say it reminded me a little of Mignolia's Lobster Johnson mini's, and Robinson's Golden Age.

#598147 - 06/07/12 01:19 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Joe Lee]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
I just read it too. While we can't judge the entire "Before Watchmen" enterprise from one issue, it was indeed a promising start.

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#598149 - 06/07/12 01:39 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Eh. While it was certainly well crafted, I feel like I spent 4 bucks for Cooke saying "Remember those guys from Watchmen? Well, spend another 4 bucks next month and you might actually get a story involving them."

Maybe I was just a little cranky because I read it right after X-O Manowar #2, which has spent 2 issues telling me the same story as the first 4 pages of the original comic.

Mike

#598152 - 06/07/12 02:23 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Joe Lee]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
I picked up the first issue of Minutemen

And CGI John Carter. You're not part of the problem, you're the entire problem.

#598160 - 06/07/12 03:39 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
I picked up the first issue of Minutemen

And CGI John Carter. You're not part of the problem, you're the entire problem.
Says the guy who claims Moby Dick is homosexual propaganda. grin

#598161 - 06/07/12 03:41 PM Re: DC: BEFORE WATCHMEN will kick the original's butt [Re: MBunge]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: MBunge
Maybe I was just a little cranky because I read it right after X-O Manowar #2, which has spent 2 issues telling me the same story as the first 4 pages of the original comic.
If you want a revival that doesn't waste your time and gets right to the fun, you should be reading the new Popeye comic.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley