Page 2 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#599046 - 06/29/12 02:55 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Charles Reece]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Charles Reece
I'm surprised that they were creative enough to be unfaithful.

I really doubt deliberate creativity has much to do with it.

Mike

#599047 - 06/29/12 03:09 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: MBunge]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Call it a happy accident, minus the happiness.

#599051 - 06/29/12 05:18 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Charles Reece]
Joe Lee Offline

Originally Posted By: Charles Reece
This all sounds like an Elsewhere-Watchmen that's maybe only one planet removed,...
That's it!

It'll all be revealed that THESE Watchmen are not the Alan Moore Watchmen, and the editorial staff will loudly proclaim these Elsworlds Watchmen are free to use without any fanboy uproar, free to join the JLA and team up with Shazam and Plastic Man, Blue Beetle and the Question...

What kind of Lanterns do you think Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan will be?

#599069 - 06/30/12 04:37 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Joe Lee]
Gerald Offline

I don't think the higher ups realize that these characters aren't good on their own. Visually, they are very bland compared to the more colorful heroes in the DCU. It seems like the last big generation of comic readers was from the 80s since dc is banking so much on this series. I can't see new readers wanting to pick this up and it seems like dc knows this from the way the series is marketed and written.

#599072 - 06/30/12 05:54 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Originally Posted By: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette
Yeah, I touched a stove yesterday. Turns out? Hot!

Some guys just have to get Chlamydia before they learn not to patronize whores.

#599099 - 07/02/12 05:36 PM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Originally Posted By: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette
Yeah, I touched a stove yesterday. Turns out? Hot!

Some guys just have to get Chlamydia before they learn not to patronize whores.

Exactly.

I was in a comics shop last week and flipped through the first issue of the NITE OWL mini-series. It was exactly as awful as many of us assumed.

The writer, J. Michael Strawwhateverhicki, the dumb-ass who has Superman walk across America for a year except he got bored and quit two or three issues in, basically ripped some sections right out of WATCHMEN, such as the first and only meeting of the Crime Busters in the 1960s. He had Dan, as a grown man, ogling the teen-aged Laurie, a high school student in a see-through outfit and skimpy skirt. And then he had Rorschach -- famous in WATCHMEN for his good humor and his comfort around sexuality -- make a good-natured joke about Dan's subsequent erection. Nite Owl and Rorschach trade quips in this comic like best buds Shaggy and Scooby.

BEFORE WATCHMEN sucks donkey balls. I knew that going in. I'm actually glad to have my perception confirmed, especially without paying a dime to anyone. (I did get a copy of the first FATALE trade by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, though. Highly recommended.)

#599105 - 07/03/12 12:15 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Lawson]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Joe Kubert's inks over his son's pencils looked as gorgeous as ever, but the story looked so weak that I was happy not to buy that one. It did seem to be just a re-hashing of stuff alluded to in the original.

So far, it seems to me that the Comedian book has been the most successful in taking off in a new direction, even contradicting things that we thought we knew from the original. Maybe that is wrong in its own way, but at least it got us talking about it. It wasn't completely predictable, and took a bit of ingenuity to find a twist that could both contradict and still fit within the original story. In that case, I didn't care for the art much, so it still stayed on the shelf.

#599106 - 07/03/12 01:43 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Joe Lee]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Originally Posted By: Joe Lee
I wanted a sort of Watchmen version of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

Don't give DC any ideas. Tom Stoppard is still available, and I don't want to find out whether they can afford his fees.

Edited by Peter Urkowitz (07/03/12 01:45 AM)

#599107 - 07/03/12 03:14 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Gerald Offline

I checked out Nite Owl #1 based on Lawson's recommendation.

I didn't like it. The art is kinda messy looking and why does DC have to have to retcon traumatic events into superheroes backstory? And why does Dan explicitly tell Rorshach that he has this feeling that Silk Spectre II and himself were meant to be paired together ? Can he sense the future that he'll eventually hook up with Laurie? Why doesn't he get any feelings when he's around Ozymandias like "I dunno Rorshach but I think Ozymandias will turn evil one day. Can't explain it."

I always thought it would be cool to see what Rorshach was like before he went crazy. He sounds reasonable and pretty normal in the crime busters scene from Watchmen. But now I realize I would only want to read that if it were drawn by Gibbons and written by Moore. Not because these prequels are crap but because those two guys defined the characters. Gibbons drew The Comedian a certain way. When that other guy draws him it's like replacing Al Pacino in GFII with Dustin Hoffman.

#599111 - 07/03/12 10:53 AM Re: So, how bad can BEFORE WATCHMEN get? [Re: Lawson]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Lawson
BEFORE WATCHMEN sucks donkey balls. I knew that going in. I'm actually glad to have my perception confirmed, especially without paying a dime to anyone. (I did get a copy of the first FATALE trade by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, though. Highly recommended.)

I'll defend SILK SPECTRE, at least so far, and it's possible MINUTEMEN may be decent once Cooke gets around to actually telling the frickin' story. COMEDIAN and NITE OWL are both terrible in subject matter and execution.

Mike

Page 2 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley