Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#599549 - 07/17/12 08:57 AM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]
Allen Montgomery Offline

This is why I can't watch this show, or others like it (Lost, etc.) as it's coming out. The whole structure is built on stringing viewers along.

#599563 - 07/17/12 11:37 AM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MightyQuin Offline

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
I admit the show has a grip on me. Anticipation for how events will unfold is part of the ride. For instance, how will Hank react to the 'new Walt'? Hank is doing better physically than I thought possible and rejuvenated by his big score with Gus even though I don't think the cops, or even we, know Gus' full back story yet. Walt, in his now ascendant status seems to expect agreement in everything. As far as Hank knows, his buddy Walt was the guy who was too chicken to even drive by the dry cleaners/meth factory. Maybe Walt will assume a Clark Kent model when needed? His character is devious, but I don't think is supposed to have that kind of acting ability.

What I really can't predict is Hank's reaction when/if he discovers Walt is, well doing what he's been doing. Cover up because of his own involvement? Turn a blind eye? Go for an immediate arrest? Nothing seems to fit exactly.

So, have you been watching seasons by DVD then, Allen? I'd bet the experience is markedly different, especially as regards plot points.

#599565 - 07/17/12 12:24 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: MightyQuin]
madget Offline

The first season-and-a-half or so I watched in a rapid, addicted flurry. There have been times since where I'll try to let at least a few episodes elapse and then view them as a bunch, but for the most part I just go episode-by-episode now, as they're released. One reason is I really don't want to run into spoilers on the internet -- I try to avoid even the video previews. If I'm up to date with BB nothing's going to be spoiled ahead of time. The other, probably larger reason is I just can't help myself. It's one of the few shows I get genuinely excited to see new content from.

Anyway, I kind of like letting each new episode stew around in my head for a week or so before the next serving.

As for stringing the audience along, it absolutely does. The difference from LOST, though, is that LOST became about little more than doing just that. The ideas didn't warrant it after a certain point, cohering less and less as things evolved; it was just a gimmick, cliffhangers for the sake of cliffhangers, and sort of insulting to the audience's intelligence. I don't get the same vibe from Breaking Bad. It's telling a finite, defined story, with a clear trajectory. Where it strings the audience along, it does so in a good way, building towards and delivering distinct narrative payoffs. By contrast, LOST left me feeling cheated. They had a lot of interesting ideas in the mix, but it was all very arbitrarily handled and riddled with stupidity.

K

#599566 - 07/17/12 12:28 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]
madget Offline

MQ- Yeah, it's tough to foresee Hank's angle in all this. I can't envision the confrontation between him and Walt, or even if such a confrontation is necessarily in the mail. I don't envy the writers' their task with this final season, but they haven't let me down so far, except maybe in little ways here or there.

K

#599702 - 07/20/12 08:34 AM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]
madget Offline

Episode 1 streams for free at amctv.com, here:

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/episode-501-breaking-bad

Cranston, Paul, and Esposito (Gus) are all up for Emmys for Season 4.

K

#599786 - 07/23/12 09:11 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]
madget Offline

Episode 2: Wow! I couldn't be more pleased. We'll see how it all progresses, but I think the writers, knowing this season was it, made a very conscious decision to push themselves, and bring their A game. Two episodes in, my feeling is this season is proceeding very smartly. Things I thought they would've brushed under the rug are being dealt with, with considerable intelligence, and without sacrificing tension and pacing. This episode particularly impressed me with the creators' ability to start with surrealism and bring it slowly -- at just the right, "what am I watching here?" pace -- into focus, coherence. Cf. the opening intro scene. It also successfully introduced an intriguing new character, while continuing to develop Walt in a believably dark way. No complaints this week, personally. Being the obvious BB superfan around here, I supposed I'm biased, but I really think Breaking Bad will go down as one of the great TV creations of all time. I'm so pleased to be in the midst of a new season.

K

#599788 - 07/23/12 11:38 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]
MightyQuin Offline

It was pretty satisfying and I have to say I enjoyed a Mike-centric episode. I don't think that character got the requisite screen time to be in the running for an outstanding supporting actor emmy, but the role is carefully crafted as any other on a show that garnered thirteen nominations. More Mike!

#599789 - 07/24/12 01:53 AM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: MightyQuin]
Allen Montgomery Offline

I'd forgotten who Mike was, had to look it up. Yeah, his character would probably make a more compelling show. Like a violent version of Fish.

All I want to know is, how much more weight has Anna Gunn gained?

#599791 - 07/24/12 11:41 AM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MightyQuin Offline

A few pounds chunkier, not that I'd mind! Her weight gain, starting around Season 3 has been blowing up the internet I see. A quick survey of sites commenting on this, pregnancy rumors, ect. seemed to show a disportionate number of Italian sites, they notice these things more I guess.

#599792 - 07/24/12 02:14 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: MightyQuin]
madget Offline

Anna Gunn's weight jumped a bit in the early seasons, but it's been pretty consistent since then, to my eyes. I wouldn't exactly call her chunky. She started out pretty skinny.

Oh, and if you like Mike, the first two episodes seem to have set him up as one of the central characters of Season 5.

As a side note, I have yet to see Marie at all.

K

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley