Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#599760 - 07/22/12 03:21 PM Re: Tragedy at movie premiere [Re: MightyQuin]
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Can't they just reprogram the drones already patrolling American cities?

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#599762 - 07/22/12 06:58 PM Re: Tragedy at movie premiere [Re: ChrisW]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

To do what? Make preemptive strikes on retarded rightwing gun nut pussies?

#599766 - 07/23/12 02:03 AM Re: Tragedy at movie premiere [Re: Allen Montgomery]
billybates Offline

Loc: ON, CAN
Would it have been too crass for Warner Brothers to change the promotion to: "The Senseless Violence...The Impotent Rage...Who (Batman punches a guy in the throat) Will (Catwoman on her Big Wheel) Vicariously (Explosions of all kinds) Fight For You?! (Music swells, Dark Knight Logo, fade to black.)"?

#599769 - 07/23/12 08:50 AM Re: Tragedy at movie premiere [Re: billybates]
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Quote:
To do what?

To oversee citizens and get rid of any who are causing problems, just like they're there for with terrorists. That's why the President put them there.

It makes more sense than introducing a new class of federal employee to disarm the citizens. Why make a fuss about taking away Americans' freedoms (guns) when you've already taken away their right to not be spied on by death-dealing drones?

Quote:
Make preemptive strikes on retarded rightwing gun nut pussies?

If you have some evidence to the shooter's motives, I'm sure the Aurora police would appreciate you sharing it. Otherwise, you might heed the examples of the Gabby Giffords shooting, the death of Bill Sparkman, the Fort Hood shooting and the guy who crashed a plane into an IRS building and not force everything into your narrow-minded views just so you can hurl baseless accusations.

You want to, obviously. It's what you do, and you're not noted for impulse control. All the same, it's pretty stupid, and only a difference of degree from accusing people of being Trotsky sympathizers.

So again, we already have a tool in place to protect the citizenry - death-dealing drones patrolling our nation's cities - so why not use those instead of whining about how you want new laws now like a three-year old?

Edited by ChrisW (07/23/12 08:52 AM)
Edit Reason: had to check my guns at the front door.

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#599770 - 07/23/12 11:46 AM Re: Tragedy at movie premiere [Re: ChrisW]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisW
That's why the President put them there.

Thank god somebody's willing to point the finger at the real villain in all this: President Barack Obama.

Seriously though Weemie, you are such a fucking incoherent lunatic.

#599771 - 07/23/12 11:50 AM Re: Tragedy at movie premiere [Re: MightyQuin]
Ceci n'est pas une chaussette Offline

Originally Posted By: MightyQuin
This event will certainly bring the issue of gun control to the forefront once some of the shock of the tragedy wears off.

Ha ha, no it won't.

Neither party has any interest in pursuing gun control. So there'll just be some impotent teeth-gnashing on one side, some raving lunacy on the other (see above, re: Weemie), and then our walking sugar high of a country will catch sight of something shiny and forget the whole thing ever happened.

#599772 - 07/23/12 11:56 AM Re: Tragedy at movie premiere [Re: ChrisW]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

baseless accusations.

The only thing that might be "baseless" in my description (I've made no accusations) of "The Joker" was whether or not he's a right-winger. Much like the thong guy who shot Gabrielle Giffords, Republicans really want to distance themselves from this new douchebag. He's only 24, so maybe he hasn't yet fully formed his political affiliations, but I can guarantee you he's no lefty.

so why not use those instead of whining about how you want new laws now like a three-year old?

Please point to where I have ever elicited the need for strict gun control laws. For that matter, please point to where your Commander-in-Chief ever has.

#599773 - 07/23/12 11:57 AM Re: Tragedy at movie premiere [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
if this "joker's" actions bring about the discussion of why and how the adventures of a sociopathic vigilante became the fodder of children's entertainment, I believe that's a discussion worth having.

It's murkier than that, though, isn't it?

Batman has been a children's entertainment character for 70 years, but there are now many different versions of Batman.

There are kiddie-friendly animated shows -- most recently, Cartoon Network's "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" -- and kiddie-friendly comics, books and toys. Lawson Jr. is a fan of these. And there is darker, grittier stuff, some of it ridiculously dark and gritty, including movies, comics and video games, little to none of it appropriate for young children.

While I'm always happy to bash DC Comics management, at some point parents must take responsibility for what they expose their children to. Lawson Jr. loves Batman, though I sure as hell won't hand him this month's Grant Morrison comic or let him watch one of the Christopher Nolan films.

I've been surprised, in the news accounts of the Colorado shooting, to learn that so many people brought children to a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises," which is rated PG-13 and apparently includes a lot of loud violence. There were infants, toddlers and children under the age of 6 both among the shooting victims and those who barely escaped. It's certainly not the parents' fault some lunatic shot up the theater, but speaking as a parent myself, I don't think young children needed to be there, watching that, at 12:20 a.m.

#599774 - 07/23/12 12:27 PM Re: Tragedy at movie premiere [Re: Lawson]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
The parents learned their lesson, then.

#599775 - 07/23/12 12:31 PM Re: Tragedy at movie premiere [Re: Charles Reece]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Originally Posted By: Charles Reece
The parents learned their lesson, then.

Charles, I'm absolutely not suggesting the parents are responsible for their children being shot or shot at. It's irresponsible to take your children to a late-night PG-13 movie; but nobody expects a gunman there. It's not like they took the children to a crackhouse.

I know you're joking, but ...

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley