Topic Options
#599805 - 07/26/12 02:58 PM cloud atlas by the wachowskis and twyker
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Trailer is up.

I love the book, and it looks like they capture a good portion of it. I'm worried that they've reduced the moral force to personal love, though.

#599810 - 07/26/12 05:16 PM Re: cloud atlas by the wachowskis and twyker [Re: Charles Reece]
madget Offline

I don't know the book, but it looks more like an extended television miniseries than a movie. That's an awful lot of content. What's the running time of this thing? Ambitious. Looks like fun.

On the other hand, I can't stand Halle Berry, Tom Hanks seems miscast, and that is the most annoying director's commentary I've ever seen. I had to click out of it halfway through.

K

#599813 - 07/26/12 05:25 PM Re: cloud atlas by the wachowskis and twyker [Re: madget]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Yeah, the book is six stories, each nestled within the other and taking place in different time periods from the 1850s to pre-WWII to the 1970s to somewhere around the present to a capital-communist dystopia to a post-apocalyptic world. There's a lot of Nietzschean stuff in it. One character keeps recurring within all the oppression that goes on.

The Wachowskis have never chosen great actors.

#601353 - 10/30/12 05:21 PM Re: cloud atlas by the wachowskis and twyker [Re: Charles Reece]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

If I had to pick one word to describe the film, it'd be "disjointed."

The recurring character is only identifiable by the birthmark, as the role they play in each episode is inconsistent. I'm not even sure which character was supposed to be the marked one in at least one episode (the 19th century trader or the slave?). The writer's agent story didn't seem as particularly inspirational as the others were, more slapstick, and his savior wasn't well defined (was it Susan Sarandon?), a problem the 1970's sequence shared (Tom Hanks? Keith David? James D'arcy?). Each episode might have made an interesting story on its own, but woven together had to rely on too many cliches to generate any friction at all.

The main question I want answered is how the Abbess (Susan Sarandon in the post-apocalypse sequence) had the ability to foretell the future. There were a lot of shortcuts employed in the narrative, necessarily so when we're talking about a three-hour movie, but prognostication is a bit of an overreach.

No details of how the Cloud Atlas Sextet came to be recorded. Interesting that the two gay guys both took a gunshot in the mouth.

Okay acting, as much as could be done with the cardboard cutout characters. Mostly decent CGI, done by eleven effects studios. Inconsistent sound made it difficult to understand dialogue in some scenes. Forgettable score is unforgiveable, considering the title of the movie is the name of a piece of music. Bloody awful hair and prosthetic makeup.

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley