Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#599952 - 08/03/12 10:10 PM best 50 films of all time: sight & sound 2012
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Here are the top 50 films of all time according to this decade's critics.

The top 20: (1) Vertigo (2) Citizen Kane (3) Tokyo Story (4) The Rules of the Game (5) Sunrise (6) 2001 (7) The Searchers (8) Man with a Movie Camera (9) The Passion of Joan of Arc (10) 8 (11) Battleship Potemkin (12) L'Atalante (13) Breathless (14) Apocalypse Now (15) Late Spring (16) Au hasard Balthazar (17/18) Seven Samurai and Persona (tie) (19) Mirror (20) Singin' in the Rain.

But, more importantly, my top 20.

#599958 - 08/04/12 10:55 AM Re: best 50 films of all time: sight & sound 2012 [Re: Charles Reece]
Budman Offline

Loc: Penfield, Ny USA
I thought this thread was going to be about movies with the best visual effects and best sound. I'm all about the sound

#599960 - 08/04/12 01:55 PM Re: best 50 films of all time: sight & sound 2012 [Re: Budman]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
That is definitely a cool list, Charles. If I ever actually have some time I'd like to watch, or in a few cases rewatch, those, but I'm kind of stunned by the inclusion of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. This is the original '50's movie, right? When I first saw it at least a decade after its release, me and my buds laughed throughout at all the melodrama and cheap effects. I understand now that the film's meaning is open to interpretation and is itself at least, a product of cold war hysteria. But, it's still really cheesy! Does it really reward multiple viewings and, I know I'm really asking for it here, how many times would I have to watch the thing before all that subtext dawns on me?

#599961 - 08/04/12 02:35 PM Re: best 50 films of all time: sight & sound 2012 [Re: MightyQuin]
Charles Reece Offline

I really like its in-your-face paranoia. Kevin McCarthy, to me, gives one of the great sweaty hysteric performances. I wouldn't deny what you're calling 'cheesy', it's just that I watch so many old American films that the unrealistic, hyperbolical acting style is one of the things I like about the 50s. It started off as a metaphor for communist infiltration, but these days I think it works even better as a loss of individuality, as relevant to the pseudoindividualism of consumerism. I wrote about the film here. Anyway, my main criterion was what films do I honestly want to watch over and over, rather than an argument for historical or aesthetic importance. I do think, however, that what makes me want to watch these films is that they're truly great films. But I doubt most of my list would make a film snob chafe too much. I think a list like S&S tends to get really stale, because the voters reinforce consensus (even though one can't go wrong with most of the films in their list). Something like: "I have to acknowledge the greatness of Dreyer, even though I find myself watching other stuff more often." Not that one shouldn't acknowledge the greatness of Dreyer, because he is great. On the other hand, Barbarella was closer to making my cut than Passion of Joan (I prefer Ordet).

#599963 - 08/04/12 04:04 PM Re: best 50 films of all time: sight & sound 2012 [Re: Charles Reece]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Ichi the Killer. Really? Don't rag on Lucky McKee being "amateurish" ever again.

#599964 - 08/04/12 04:07 PM Re: best 50 films of all time: sight & sound 2012 [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Well, I'll have to give you Kevin McCarthy ... and Barbarella! Thanks for the reply, Charles.

#599966 - 08/04/12 04:27 PM Re: best 50 films of all time: sight & sound 2012 [Re: Charles Reece]
madget Offline

I've always had a hard time choosing "bests," a problem that just exacerbates itself as I get older. You have to be a pretty well-versed historian of the medium to even begin to accurately gauge true cultural resonance in proper historical context, and as Charles points out, who wants to use something that dreary and removed from oneself as a criterion anyway. On the other hand, as film-snobby as I might seem in some of the discussions had here, I'm no stranger to guilty pleasures, and the shit I will watch over and over again vs. the shit I'll only watch once or twice is pretty fucking random in terms of what I'd consider quality. I guess if pressed, to me the criterion would fall somewhere in the piece's success of hybridizing high-art and entertainment, delivering on both and dumbing down neither. Hitchcock has done pretty good stuff in that arena, but then so has Quentin Tarantino. There are also the pure mechanics of the film to consider. I like Vertigo quite a bit, but the twist at the very end is almost breathtakingly stupid, and Jimmy Stewart has never been a personal favorite -- it wouldn't be my top Hitchcock film, let alone top film period. My own list would embarrass me because I'm simply not that well-versed in film historically and there are a *lot* of classics I've never seen. Of that top 20 list, for example, I've only seen six or seven. Vertigo which is pretty great. Tokyo Story which is well made but pretty fucking boring. Rules of the Game which I just couldn't get into and barely remember. 2001 which is pretty great. Apocalypse Now which I liked but which has never been a personal favorite. Seven Samurai which is pretty great. Singin' in the Rain but it's been ages, and I never developed much of a taste for musicals. While I haven't seen Joan of Arc I've seen Vampyr, which was pretty great, but also dull by today's standards, and not something I'd want to watch all the time.

Maybe I'll queue up some of the films on this list to get through soon, or from Charles' list. I still wouldn't pick JB as the seminal QT flick, good as it is, and I never really liked Ridley Scott or Blade Runner that much. But, just nitpicking really.

Some films that might possibly be on my own list that I don't see in these: Ugetsu, Sansho the Bailiff (I love Mizoguchi); possibly some Lynch other than just MD; There Will Be Blood; Barton Fink; for Hitchcock, Notorious and The Birds are my favorites of those I've seen; His Girl Friday; Straw Dogs; Old Boy maybe; maybe something by Melville; much as it pains me, I'd probably throw in the original SW trilogy; Wizard of Oz maybe; ... many of those are obvious enough contenders, I'm sure I'm missing tons, I'll have to think about it a little.

K

#599970 - 08/04/12 10:49 PM Re: best 50 films of all time: sight & sound 2012 [Re: madget]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

La Jetee squeaked in there at #50. Otherwise a predictable and useless list.

Only one true documentary and it's about the Holocaust, of course. One other semi-documentary and it's Iranian (of course).

Only the least commercialized sci-fi.

The only comedy is silent. Unless you want to count Singin' in the Rain, which I don't.

The only horror is Psycho.

The only western is The Searchers.

No animation.

The 40's and 50's are over-represented, while there's only one from the 80's (the aforementioned Holocaust doc) and nothing earlier than 1925.

Godard gets four spots; Coppola, Dreyer and Tarkovsky three; Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Fellini and Truffaut two; Lang, Murnau, Welles, Bergman, Antonioni and Scorsese only get one apiece. STANLEY KUBRICK only gets one. ROMAN POLANSKI isn't even on the list.

Worthless.

#599971 - 08/04/12 11:53 PM Re: best 50 films of all time: sight & sound 2012 [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Charles Reece Offline

Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
Ichi the Killer. Really? Don't rag on Lucky McKee being "amateurish" ever again.

Eh? I like McKee, but you've a got a disproportionate notion of his talent.

Anyway, what's (some of) your list, Allen?

I agree with you about the safe genre choices. Leone is better than Ford. So is Mann. Stalker over Blade Runner, or Metropolis, or Alien? I'd put Starship Troopers over it, too. It's 4 hours of some dudes tripping in a forest discussing inane 60s spiritualism.

#599972 - 08/05/12 12:11 AM Re: best 50 films of all time: sight & sound 2012 [Re: madget]
Charles Reece Offline

Madget, by the twist of Vertigo, do you mean the Madelaine/Judy thing? I don't think it's realistically plausible, but if you look at the whole thing as you would a Kafkaesque world, or whatnot, it perfectly captures something real about human desire. A logical plot it is not. I think you have to treat the Birds the same way for it to really work on you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley