Page 8 of 15 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#600755 - 09/03/12 05:05 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
Originally Posted By: madget

I love that Leaves of Grass is now a bathroom reader for Walt; in and of itself it's a nice touch. How I feel about it as Hank's window into WW as Heisenberg, is a little more conflicted. It's a little too dumb and narratively convenient for Walt to leave that kind of evidence tying himself to a murdered man lying around -- at the season's opening, Walt even got rid of the Lily of the Valley plant, just to be extra safe. If there was a more compelling Walt-esque reason for the oversight, I'd accept it better, but as it is, just seems ... a really stupid oversight. Every season of BB tends to bring a few of these too conveniently convenient moments with it.

Someone over on the SHH forums mentioned G.B might be Gretchen Black, not Gail Boetticher. Still an astonishing coincidence, but not quite as sloppy on Walt's part.

Regarding Walt's body count: I was surprised Skyler made it this far. When she started her talk about taking the kids away I was pretty sure that would have pushed Walt over the edge to taking her down. She got lucky, I think.

#600756 - 09/03/12 05:21 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: Jimbo]
madget Offline

Hmm.

Well, I have to admit, I do like that idea, connecting it back to Gretchen -- no less coincidental, but it would be a pretty interesting twist, and it would help make this plot turn more forgivable. Sadly, the idea made me curious enough to go back and compare, and while not an exact-exact match, I'd say it is Gail's handwriting.

See below; top is from Gail's notebook in Season 4. Bottom is closing shot of latest episode.

K

#600757 - 09/03/12 06:11 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]
madget Offline

Here's Inside Ep. 8:

Seems that Walt truly is "out" from the writers perspective, or intends to be; no ploy.

I also find it interesting that they are "in the process of writing" the final 8 episodes, because the forward-flash at the season's opening is as yet unaccounted for, and nine months (in the show's timeline) away. Though I guess the flash-forward might have been the last thing shot, and constructed after the rest, even after this featurette; who knows.

K

#600759 - 09/03/12 06:36 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: Jimbo]
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I have a feeling they were saving that song for a special moment.

Agreed. It was a great counterpoint to the action. This sweet, kind of sappy song about the hippy Age of Aquarius coming, there used to be a lot of those, overlaying Walter's work. Spreading his product internationally and probably tripling the business might be a 'new age dawning' for him I guess.

All the business partners are prepared to kill one another should it become necessary now. Jesse had his hand on a concealed weapon, Walt was ready to drop a capsule of what I assume was Lily of the Valley powder into Lydia's tea and several 'loose ends' were tied up. All that and everything else is kind of moot depending on Hank. He's got to confront Walter about the book inscription. I confess, I don't know if Walter can be convincing saying it's from Gretchen B., a former colleague with Gail's same initials. Both inscriptions were block printed, so difficult to track to a certain individual. Going only by the expression on Hank's face, he'll confront Walt in a very heated way, Walter realizing the jig is irrevocably up, will smack him with a drinks tray and be on the run. And a mini-storage unit of money will be forever out of his grasp. Then again, Hank's expression could indicate the mother of all deuces. People do die on the toilet, could Walter White be that lucky? In any event,I'm expecting an immediate flurry of action come next summer as in an almost literal fashion, the shit has hit the fan!

#600761 - 09/03/12 06:48 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: MightyQuin]

hmmm, I was still writing when you posted the Inside Episode 8 clip, Madget. I guess Hank won't immediately confront Walt after all. It's difficult to imagine him being duplicitous enough to play it close to the vest when he rejoins the get-together though. He's not Walter White!

#600764 - 09/03/12 08:07 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]
Allen Montgomery Offline

Originally Posted By: madget
We have to wait until NEXT SUMMER for the end.

My dad watches that other stringalong, Hell on Wheels. He asked me what the commercials saying "the last episode of 2012" meant. I told him that probably meant new episodes were coming in January. The big three networks usually drop off with new eps around Thanksgiving and pick up again after the New Year, maybe a six week break. You're saying AMC is taking a ten-month break?

#600768 - 09/03/12 09:12 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: Allen Montgomery]
madget Offline

I know it doesn't continue until 2013; I thought I saw something about the rest not airing until next summer entirely, but maybe it'll air earlier in 2013. I hope so.

MQ: I disagree about Hank, he can be very duplicitous and knows how to play things close to the vest. Cf. his interrogation of Mike; most of the questions Hank asks he already knows the answers to, he's just testing him, prodding to see if he can catch Mike in a lie. Realizing Walt is his Heisenberg is of course much more personally rattling. But, Hank's smart. He will need time to think this discovery through and consider how to proceed. He will probe Walt with little questions to suss out more. This book isn't exactly the kind of evidence that could put Walt away -- it just signals the truth to Hank. By knowing Walt is Heisenberg, Hank has a tremendous new advantage. He'll know better than to blow that, but will undoubtedly be conflicted about what to do with that advantage. Surely he doesn't want to tear Walt's family apart. I figure covert surveillance of Walt may be Hank's next step, to see if he can find more evidence to support his discovery; but, Walt now being supposedly "out," this may not actually yield much on Walt. But it could lead Hank back to Jesse somehow; and putting any kind of squeeze on Jesse, may lead to heightened confrontation between Jesse and Walt.

Hank is in a pretty fascinating position. The above guessing aside, I really don't feel confident I know exactly what's next, as usual. It'll be interesting.

K

#600769 - 09/03/12 09:14 PM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]
madget Offline

Charles has been pretty mum on this season; you still watching, Reece? Any summary thoughts on S5 Pt. 1?

K

#600783 - 09/04/12 12:47 AM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: madget]

Yeah, it's Hank's personal involvement with Walt, the personal betrayal that I thought would trump reasoned detective investigative methods. The actor himself in the clip you supplied indicates that he'll use this new information to build on though, so that's the way it will play out I guess.

#600821 - 09/08/12 01:01 AM Re: breaking bad : season 5 [Re: MightyQuin]
madget Offline

(from nerdapproved.com)

K

Page 8 of 15 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley